Providence RI airport to Natick, Mass

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2008, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My niece will arrive at the Providence RI Airport for an job interview in Natick Mass. She doesn't drive-what would be the best way to get there? Thanks
Old Apr 26th, 2008, 08:03 AM

If she flies into Boston, she can take the Logan Express to Natick and catch a cab to her interview location.
Old Apr 26th, 2008, 11:42 AM

Two places to check are Amtrak and Bonanza/Peter Pan Bus service (Bonanza and Peter Pan are the same bus company).
Old Apr 26th, 2008, 11:42 AM

Yikes, that's a hike even if she does drive. She might have to take a bus from the airport (which is actually in Warwick, south of Prov) into Boston and then take the commuter train out to Natick. As Gbelle pointed out, this would be a lot simpler (and faster and cheaper) if she flew into Boston.
Old Apr 26th, 2008, 11:49 AM

Altho OP does not say so, maybe the young woman is flying Southwest, in which case flying into Logan is not an option.
Old Apr 26th, 2008, 12:20 PM

Flying another airline might be, then.

We're talking about hours of commuting time, here, by somebody who's apparently unfamiliar with the area and on her way to a job interview which is nerve-wracking enough without complicated travel. Natick is 50 miles from the Prov airport, with no direct connection between them. And since Natick is a more distant suburb of Boston, it isn't well-served by public transit.
Old Apr 26th, 2008, 03:20 PM

is the company paying?? because the best way is to hire a limo service.

okay, I don't know providence that well, but she should probablt try to get from the airport to the Amtrak station. Then take amtrak to Boston/Back Bay station. Then she can take the commuter rail (Worcester-Framingham line) out to either Natick or Framingham station depending on where the interview is. Then she will have to take a taxi.

okay, better idea. Call "Knight's Limo" they do shuttle service from TFGreen to Metro west. its a van service, andnot outrageously expensive. However, she should tell them she has an interview to get to. My problem with Knights is they pick up a number of people, and drop them off in an order that makes sense only to them. It seems to take an extra long time, sometimes. But if she talks to them, hopefully she can be sure to be on time.
Old Apr 26th, 2008, 03:24 PM

here's the website for Knights:http://www.knightsairportlimo.com/

Looks like round trip van service between TFGreen and Natick is about $70, which really isn't too bad for door-to-door service. Probably cheaper than any other option.

there are other van services too, she can shop around for a better price.
Old Apr 26th, 2008, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. We did look into Knights and it is a good option - door to door is very attractive. She is flying out of Philly on SW and the difference in fare to Logan is over $300 RT on short notice. BTW the company is not paying. Her other option is to have her mom come down from NY, pick her up and leave the next AM from NY on Jet Blue. That would be cheapest (for her). Thanks for the responses.
Old Apr 26th, 2008, 04:43 PM

Is there a bus from Providence to Boston/Logan? I know that they recently started one from Manchester, NH to Logan Express stop in Woburn - it was not well advertised and exists for people flying into MHT and out of BOS. It might be noted on ground transportation part of Providence website.

From Logan there are a number of options, none easy, but all costing far less than the $300 she will save on flight - even if she took a cab.
Old Apr 26th, 2008, 05:11 PM

She can get a Peter Pan bus from TF Green Airport (Providence) to South Station in Boston, and then take the commuter rail to Natick. Schedules at www.mbta.com. The commuter rail trains also run between South Station and the Amtrak station in Providence, but that is a few miles from the airport.

Since the Peter Pan bus fare alone would be about $40, it looks like the limo service would be her best bet, if she can be assured of a reasonable schedule.
Old Apr 27th, 2008, 08:01 AM

The real problem here is not getting to the interview; it is working in Natick for someone who does not drive. Natick is a combination of office parks, residential suburbs, and shopping centers at all levels. She can get there by commuter rail, but how does she get from commuter rail to the office every day? There is some bus service, but it is limited.
Old Apr 27th, 2008, 10:45 AM

I totally agree that Natick is not a good choice for someone who does not drive. And, learning to drive in Massachusetts would be a terrifying prospect. The drivers there are brutal! It's also very expensive to register and insure a vehicle.

And, before going on that interview, your niece should check housing costs. It's an expensive place to live.
Old Apr 27th, 2008, 12:02 PM

I would not go for an interview if the company was not going to pay for my travel expenses. This tells me something very bad about the company!
Old Apr 27th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the very helpful replies. The problem of transportation around Natick may be the deciding factor.
Usually I would agree about a company not paying travel expenses for an interview, but my niece is still a student and this is a summer position with a top company in her field that has the potential to lead to something of substance - it pays very well for a summer position too. It seems to be one of those "we are interested and would like to look you over" type of positions. She really should learn to drive.
Old Apr 27th, 2008, 07:45 PM

A summer position? Just finding furnished housing within a bus (very few) ride of whatever company is an almost impossible task. While Boston is student mecca with lots of summer sub-lets, it is extremely unlikely any would be in non-car distance from company plus any reasonable needs she would have - like groceries. I think this entire process needs some more thought.
Old Apr 27th, 2008, 07:53 PM

Agree with Gail.

And, Natick is not a college or student community.

I lived in Natick for many years. You'd need a car to live and work there, even for the summer.
Old Apr 27th, 2008, 07:55 PM

Seriously, if your niece does not drive, she should seek a summer job somewhere with plentiful and convenient public transportation.
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 03:35 AM

I work in the next town over...Natick is not afun place to be without a car, as would be true of most of suburbia.
that said, It might be possible to find a place, and get back and forth to work on the bus. I do know there are buses that run on route 9 . and I know there are a fair number of apartments and duplexes near the center of Natick..though I'm unsure if you could find a short term lease in any of them.
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 04:59 AM
Original Poster

This is all very helpful. I will pass all of your observations on to my sister.