Grand Tetons in August

Old Apr 16th, 2008, 03:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grand Tetons in August

Hi all,

I am going to be in the Jackson area with my 2 kids (8 and 11) in August as part of a summer trip to Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons. I am looking to spend 2 nights in the Jackson area and was hoping to spend between 125-200 per night. Any suggestions? After some research I saw both the Signal Mountain Lodge and the Buckrail Lodge as possibilities. For those that know, do you have a preference? Why? Any other suggestions most appreciated.
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 12:25 PM
AlJ

Never stayed at Signal Mountain but its in a pretty setting right on the water. Also look at Colter Bay Cabins and Jackson Lake Lodge. JLL may not be in your price range but I'm pretty sure Colter Bay is.

We stayed at JLL last year and will spend 2 nights there in June.
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 03:52 PM

We take our kids (now ages 9 and 12) every couple of years and have always stayed at the Jackson Lake Lodge or the Colter Bay cabins (www.gtlc.com). Colter Bay is a little more rustic, but the kids like it. You can get a large cabin that has 4 double beds and 1 bathroom, which is what we usually get for a family of 4. You can also do horseback riding and float trips through Colter Bay although I think they leave from Jackson Lake Lodge which is a short drive away. We've eaten at Signal Mountain but have never stayed there. We've also never stayed in the town of Jackson, but if you have time, you might want to check to see when the "shoot-out" in town is. That's fun for the kids to see.
Old Apr 18th, 2008, 09:20 AM

I have stayed at both places, the Buckrail and Signal Mountain Lodge.

I think it depends on your personal preferences. The Buckrail is of course in Jackson, well within the town.

The lodge is on the lake and close to the finest comprehensive view of the Tetons that I know of. In fact the view is so grand that people get married there.

I think it depends on where you want to be: in town, or in the park itself.

I remember the Buckrail quite well. The owners-operators at the time were members of the Colonel family. Wife and mother Janet was working the front desk when I asked her where I might find a personal computer. She willingly made a few phone calls and helped me locate a resource.

A book I was writing at the time was in the final manuscript editing phase and the editor had questioned one of my programs. I needed to check it out her questions, and return the manuscript to her right away. (Nice way to spend a vacation in the Tetons, reading a book manuscript to see how much violence the editor had done.)

We finally found a computer at the local repair shop, but the monitor did not work right. The picture had a life span of about 10 seconds. Then it would shatter and leave the screen. Well, I locked the program in an endless loop so that it kept regenerating the output screen while my wife made a sketch.

Needless to say this was a few years ago, because today personal computers would be much more commonly found.

In fact the Buckrail has a pc in the lobby!!

Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 06:41 PM

We haven't been there yet, but wanted to say that we've booked the Alpenhof Lodge at Teton Village (entrance to Grand Tetons) for this fall. Think we're paying $149 a night. They have what I understand is a good restaurant. Breakfast is complimentary.

Here's a link: http://www.alpenhoflodge.com/alpenhof.htm

Others can advise you on whether my decision was worthwhile...
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 04:08 AM

We loved Signal Mtn - best location in the park. Great dining on site and right on the lake. Very close to Oxbow Bend where the moose hang out. We spent a night in Jackson and it was alright but mostly just expensive and touristy. No comparison to staying in the park at Signal.
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 03:26 PM

PS My adult son is a big fan of Signal Mountain Lodge. He likes it because of its location in the park.

I stayed there on his recommendation.

He has also stayed at the Buckrail.
His reaction is the same as mine.
Signal Mountain Lodge if you want the park ambience.

Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 05:02 PM
maj

I think it depends on what your kids will be happy with. We've stayed both in Jackson and at Signal Mountain (without kids). We love Signal Mountain Lodge, but there are no tv's, internet, air conditioning, etc. in the rooms. There is a television, computer and wireless access in their lobby (but it is for all the guests). If amenities like these are important for you, you would probably want to stay in Jackson. The setting and availability to the north end of the park is fantastic at Signal Mountain, but sometimes kids that age can get bored with that. Mine didn't, but we went on trips with friends whose kids weren't "nature lovers" and needed a pool, etc.

I think there are probably more things in Jackson to occupy them, especially in the summer, and you are close to the southern end of the park there with the visitor center etc. where ranger led hikes originate.

Again, both are good choices -- depends on what interests your family.
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 05:25 AM

Our last two nights we booked at Colter Cabins in Jackson. Tried Signal but they are all booked up in June.