Search

Proposed Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2003, 01:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Proposed Hotels

Hi All,

here's the selection of hotels my travel agent gave me for our road trip in California in October, what do you think?

S-F : Metropolis
Monterey : Casa Munras Resort
Yosemite : Cedar Lodge (I will have this one changed to Yosemite Lodge!)
Bishop : Best Western Holiday Spa
Furnace Creek : Furnace Creek Rank (not much choice in that town anyway ;-) )
Las Vegas : Treasure Island
Grand Canyon : Best Western Squire Inn
Sedona : Best Western Inn of Sedona
Scottsdale : Radisson Resort & Spa

I will probably add Placerville between Monterey and the Yosemite, to visit the south gold country!
Old Feb 11th, 2003, 07:41 AM
kam

SF- Metropolisis not in the best part of downtown

Yosemite- I would pick the Yosemite Lodge

Las Vegas- I have never stayed at the Treasure Island, but it seems to be a nice hotel. It has a great location in the central strip area wlaking distance to Caesars, Bellagio, Venetian, etc.

Sorry, don't have any info on the others.
Old Feb 11th, 2003, 07:51 AM
Eva

I stayed at the BW Inn at Sedona last year. While the rooms are nothing special, they are clean and we liked the location of the hotel. It also has a nice deck area for enjoying some beautiful views while hving breakfast etc.

Enjoy!
Old Feb 11th, 2003, 08:16 AM

Placerville from Monterey and then Yosemite? Wow serious driving. Certainly not worth a detour of that magnitude to see that area. On the other hand if you must see some of the gold country a closer area to Yosemite might be Columbia, Sonora, Angels Camp and Jamestown.

Placerville is not that great though you may be thinking of going north from there along 49 to Coloma which was where gold was first discovered and where Sutter's Mill is located.
Old Feb 11th, 2003, 10:54 PM
Original Poster

I've seen the other discussions concerning Union Square. But actually, I don't think we'll be much outside after dark! But what other similar hotel would you recommend?

As far as Placerville is concerned, we might not go all that way north, but stop in Jackson. Or is it really not worth going farther than Sonora?

Thanks for your tips!
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 06:48 AM

You may want to look into the Radisson or Holiday Inn in Fisherman's Wharf area.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Seems like the Radisson and the Holliday In are at least 30 to 40 USD more expensive!

Too bad, Fisherman's friend seemed like a good idea!

I don't want to re-start the debate, but what's wrong with Union Square?
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 11:40 AM

I know that a lot of people on this board seem to tout Union Square, and while it is okay during the day, it may not be the safest place to be after dark. The city of SF has tried to clean the square up, but they still have more to do. It used to be my favorite area in SF, but the bums and grimy streets are a turn off. Matbe some people can overlook that, but many people I talk to who come to SF try to find a hotel that is not in Union Square for these reasons.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 12:15 PM

Once again: a year ago we spent four days at the Grand Hyatt at Union Square the week before Christmas. We passed through the area day and night many times, and it was always bustling with people. We saw a couple of homeless people, some with signs and hands out. We didn't know there was some sort of "horrible" problem until I came home and read about it here. Oh my God -- it was like the end of civilization and I never even knew it!!! If you've never been out of Kansas before, you might be appalled by the scene. If you've ever been to a major city of the world, you probably won't even notice anything.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 12:23 PM

Patrick,

I should have mentioned that the people I spoke with who complained about Union Square were from New York City. I think that in and of itself says a lot.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 12:53 PM

Hello Barthox,

We stayed at Treasure Island last Fall and found it great, the location is convenient, our room was nice, the hotel was clean.

In San Francisco, the web-site San Francisco on Sale has been having some great prices on botique hotels in the City. I myself, like the Union Square area, great shopping, restaurants and location.
Have a great trip!