Problems finding hotel in Greensboro, NC

Oct 4th, 2008, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

Problems finding hotel in Greensboro, NC

We're trying to find a hotel in Greensboro for Oct 22, and everything seems to be outrageous to me. A lot of places over $150 for basic hotels - 2 star level. Is there something going on? Some places already seem to be sold out? We're just trying to find a place for an overnight stay for a flight. Any help or suggestions?
Oct 4th, 2008, 03:40 PM

Look again. I just went to Expedia and found any number of hotels with availability - ranging from Travelodge near Convention Center for $50 and a Super 8 for $99 to higher.

And as far as that being some special date, I then checked same hotels for random mid-week dates in November and Decenber and found essentially the same rates.
Oct 4th, 2008, 03:43 PM

I imagine it is because that is the week nearby High Point hosts their furniture market. My family is in the furniture business, and we always stay in Winston Salem, so I'm sure the whole area fills up. Try telling the hotel you're in town for the furniture market and you may get a better rate!
Oct 4th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

I can find the same thing, too, but most of those hotels under $100 are 1.5 stars and have some pretty negative reviews - ones that concern me for a place to stay with my wife and baby - both safety and cleanliness.

Oct 4th, 2008, 09:22 PM

Would you consider staying in Burlington - about 20 minutes away. We have stayed multiple times at Best Western Burlington - it is a very nice hotel, breakfast buffet - they have rooms for $125.
Oct 5th, 2008, 03:08 AM
Original Poster

It looks like we may have to do Burlington or even the east side of Winston-Salem. Is Burlington only 20 minutes from the airport? That's not bad - thought it was further than that. I guess Burlington would be closer to the airport than Winston-Salem.
Oct 5th, 2008, 05:55 AM

You are correct and I forgot you wanted to go to airport - it is about 40 minutes to airport, which like most, is not right in downtown but on the far side of Greensboro.
Oct 5th, 2008, 08:03 AM

October 22 is still within the "leaf-peeping season" for our area, and some people who can't get places IN the mountains will drive to them from a place like Greensboro. Good luck!
Oct 5th, 2008, 02:16 PM

The High Point Furniture Market
http://www.highpointmarket.org/About...rketDates.aspx

is Oct 20-26th. It is the one event in Greensboro/High Point that causes hotels to sell out, during the days before and after Market as well.
In past years there was no available hotel space and happy homeowners rented their homes for $$$and stayed with friends.
Since the advent of the Las Vegas Market, there are less international buyers traveling to the HP Market, and there are some rooms available this year. However, room rates are still sky high.
The average room rate in High Point and Greensboro is usually less than $100 and during Market it will be between $250-300.
As it is not a sold out situation this October, there will be some rooms in the 2star properties - you will pay more than you would at another time, but if must come, and you need a room try Expedia or Ortitz and you will find one.

Please come back another time and enjoy our city and very fine and usually cheap hotels.
Oct 5th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for your help. I knew something had to be going on for rooms to be that high - we only live a couple hours away so very familiar with Greensboro and hotel pricing.

Fortunately, a family member stepped up today and used Hilton points to reserve us a room for that night near the airport. Wish we didn't have to use their points for Greensboro, but it's worth not paying the extreme prices.

Thanks again!

Search this Thread