Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Private hotel or B&B in Lancaster County, PA?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 11:07 AM
Helen

My husband and I visited Amish country this past week and really loved it. We especially liked going "off the beaten path" and seeing the Amish at work and play. It was so peaceful! Except for the hotel. We stayed at the Best Western Revere Inn in Paradise, and it was really noisy. Plus, with the overall ambiance of the area, it seemed sterile somehow. We want to return to the area in early October, for harvest time, but want a more suitable place to stay. Does anyone have a recommendation for a private, quaint hotel? Thanks!

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 11:30 AM
maybe

I've heard the Family Inn in Bird-In-Hand is good, but not sure about the privacy factor. Anyone?

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 11:32 AM
Merilee

The following is a short list of what you may be looking for and they have websites...Folk Craft Center B&B in Witmer, Kimmell House in Ephrata, Gardens of Eden in Lancaster, Mt. Gretna Inn in Mt. Gretna serves a candlelit breakfast, and the the Churchtown Inn in Churchtown.

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 12:41 PM
Kris

The Bird-in-HAnd Family Inn was really nice. It is a hotel and not a small "quaint" inn or B & B, but the rooms (in the newer section)were lovely. Each has a small refrigerator and 2 QUEEN size beds. This was a deciding factor for me!
It's centrally located and they offer their own 2 hour tour of the countryside......well worth it....Its free for guests. You just tip the driver.
They have 2 indoor pools, a video arcade and miniature golf next door. Even with all of this, it was quiet and peaceful! Good Luck.

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 01:30 PM
travellyn

I stayed at a very small B&B run by an Amish family near Intercourse in May. The proprietors are Jacob and Sadie Zook; they are kind, hospitable people. The B&B is very comfortable - nothing fancy. It is an apartment attached to their house, and it has electricity.

The B&B is listed on the internet as Starlit Acres Farm (they raise horses there). There is a phone in the barn where Sadie has a business (717)768-3774.

I was particularly fascinated by their guest book, which is full of comments written by people from all over the world.

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 05:28 AM
Stephanie P

Helen:

If you want to stay somewhere a little different, stay at the Red Caboose Motel - look at site: redcaboosemotel.com. You stay in a train car (14 of them on parking lot). There is a neat gift shop with train theme of course and you can dine in a train car next to it. There is a barn and a petting zoo and a scenic view of a corn field. Also, next door is a miniature railroad museum. Strasburg is much more quiet and out in the country.

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 10:59 AM
lcuy

Churchtown Inn is wonderful---quiet (no kids under 12, I think), convenient, but quiet, lovely gardens, beautiful bedrooms great breakfasts, and nice service. THe hosts will give you all kinds of local advice and can arrange tours or dining recommendations.

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 03:45 AM
SM

Helen-
I live in Lancaster County farm country and just want to warn you that due to the drought we are experiencing here this summer, harvest time will be much earlier then a "normal" year.We have not had any signifigant rain here in months. Most fields are already parched and dying and will be harvested in the next three to four weeks.

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 05:29 AM
jabez

Highly recommend The Smithton Inn.

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 05:32 PM
Frank

I'd have to second the advice for the Churchtown Inn. Beautiful old stone mansion, really friendly innkeepers and breakfasts that are out of this world. The innkeepers really take time with the guests -- you can always find them if you have a question and they're always eager to chat if you want, or give you space if you want. They can also arrange dinner at the home of an Amish person and they have carriage. They have fun special events too! www.churchtowninn.com