Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Prioritizing travel for mom - warm sunny places - at least this time

Apr 24th, 2006, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

O.k., as one of 7 kids, I didn't get to do much traveling as a kid, except for wherever our parents could haul us in a station wagon (which was, I guess, surprisingly far, as we all got to see a good deal of the U.S.). As the mother of 7 kids, my mom didn't get much opportunity for travel, either, and my father, who traveled extensively while in the military, did not enjoy travel so much after he retired. Now that the kids are finally all out of the house (amazingly so), mom's on her own, and I have a kid and have persuaded her that we need a babysitter when we travel, she has agreed to travel with my husband and me. She's gone on 2 trips with us since last year (and we have yet to enlist her babysitting services, but that's our problem, not hers). Took her to Bermuda last year, Italy this year. Have promised her a beach resort for the next trip. If you were 72 years old, looking for relaxation and something new, where would you go?

She hasn't said so much, but I think that she would not enjoy places like Jamaica or the DR where one may see things that can be a bit intimidating to one who has not traveled extensively (i.e., armed guards cruising around - don't see much of that in the midwest and I mean no criticism of the safety or lack thereof of such places - just don't think she would like it), and has seen very little outside of the U.S. She and my dad lived in Hawaii for a few years back in the 60s. Might be fun to take her back there, but I am open to other suggestions, too. No specific dates, yet, will figure that out once we decide where to go. Budget generally not an issue.

Some ideas are, as mentioned, Hawaii, maybe Outer Banks, the Keys. We will be looking for a nice resort, beach, good food, spa is nice. I just want mom to enjoy travel as much as she possibly can, although she is very, very easy to please.

I know, I know, this is all very vague, but give me your best suggestions! I don't know how many years she'll have left (could very well be more than me) and I've got a lot of trips to squeeze in while we can! Will be posting this on the Caribbean board, as well. Thanks and sorry so long-winded.
Apr 24th, 2006, 03:09 PM

Hawaii would be a wonderful destination for her, especially Maui.
If you take her to Hawaii, make sure to spend the money on a luau.
There are many places in Florida that would fit the bill, such as Naples, St Augustine, and South Florida, such as Miami and the Keys.
Apr 24th, 2006, 03:27 PM

Bermuda is warm, sunny, and very civilized.
Apr 24th, 2006, 04:41 PM

Two places I have never been, but might fit. My mother did a trip to Costa del Sol (Spain) and reported it was wonderful. They had an air/hotel/dining package - the hotels were actually condo-type places, that came in all sizes. Dining was a dine-around plan.

She also had a trip planned to Malta - but it was right after 9/11 and did not go. Not sure if either was a resort, but both were interesting, unique, warm and sunny.
Apr 25th, 2006, 05:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions. Gail - great ideas. I'm getting inspired now, which is just what I was hoping for!
Apr 25th, 2006, 09:18 AM

We took my husband's parents on a cruise 2 years ago and she still talks about it. All that pampering, the ease of it, something for everyone, safe. Your child would enjoy it and there would be activities, too. That said, if I were to take a beach resort trip ( and weather is a factor) I would take her to the British Virgin Islands. They are safe, unspoiledand the roads aren't bad to drive. The people are friendly as well. My friends often go to Little Dix Bay and like that. We stayed on Tortola at Long Bay, very nice. Caneel Bay on St John is also quite lovely and quiet- unlike St Thomas, which can be a zoo at times. In the states, the Ritz at Naples would be ideal. Or La Playa, but she would enjoy the town as well. Don Cesar is nice, too, in St Pete.