An alternative to Florida next year?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22nd, 2004, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A lot of the timeshares we wanted to book for two weeks next winter are unavailable, some because of hurricanes (Interval International). I guess it has made a shortage in the other places. We want someplace warm so should we consider Arizona (where?) or elsewhere? Suggestions would be appreciated!
Old Oct 22nd, 2004, 11:15 AM

I don't know where you are travelling from, but Hawaii is a wonderful, warm spot any time of year!
Old Oct 22nd, 2004, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the recommendation. I would LOVE to visit Hawaii but the airfare from Canada plus all additional costs make it prohibitive next year. We had chosen Florida because we can get cheap flights from Detroit or Buffalo, inexpensive car rentals, good cost of living while we're there etc.
Old Oct 22nd, 2004, 11:55 AM

A little heat is about the only thing that FL and AZ have in common. Is that your main criteria? Where are you looking in Florida? Perhaps you need to expand your quest to other FL cities.
Old Oct 22nd, 2004, 01:24 PM

Consider the Jekyll Island-Sea Island area of Georgia.
Old Oct 22nd, 2004, 01:31 PM

Hi Tandoori Girl, missed you

An alternative to Florida:
Oh canuckhoney, I wish I could let you my house !
But since the Yankee won't think of it, how about Amelia Island Fl?
It will be fun to see what you decide on

What about Mexico? Cheap once you are there. San Miguel de Allende comes to mind.
We used to go to ST Martin on the French side, rented condos. Wonderful, and great food. Or rent a villa in Jamaica..did that, loved it.

Old Oct 25th, 2004, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

We have registered only for timeshares on the Gulf side because of the weather. Do you think we should also look at the Atlantic Side - Daytona Beach, Ft. Lauderdale, Orlando etc.?? We will be shivering snowbirds so the warmer the better! Also would love to visit the Blue Jays training camp.
Old Oct 25th, 2004, 11:39 AM

I sure wouldn't look north of Sarasota or north of Ft. Lauderdale if the warmth is important to you.

I'm not sure how all these timeshare places work, have you looked at Charter Club in Naples -- just redone?
Old Oct 25th, 2004, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

I think that Charter Club was on our list of Timeshares but we didn't try for that as I know little about Naples. We will be there for 2 wks. Is the Charter Club a nice facility? Does it have nice views and what can you tell me about it's location? Is Naples a nice area? Thanks for any feedback.
Old Oct 25th, 2004, 01:10 PM

Is Naples a nice area? Most would say it is THE area today in Florida; second fastest growing city in the US, very upscale, bursting with great restaurants and upscale shopping. Beautiful beaches, pier, and sunsets. On the edge of the Everglades and surrounded by various nature preserves.

The Charter Club is actually on the bay with nice views out across the bay. It is a nine block walk to the beach from there, or of course, an easy drive. The beach area of Naples itself by the way is all private homes but public beach, not the usual hodgepodge of high rise condos and hotels, although further north there are many high rise upscale condos -- still very few hotels.

The Charter Club is just one block from my own townhouse. They are sort of Key West looking buildings of three story buildings, one unit (or is it two units?) per floor. They have just finished totally redoing them inside and out. Next to them is a group of brand new townhouse condominiums. There are still three available for purchase -- I think they are still being offered at $2.6 million each, so if you like the area, you might want to purchase a place next door!!!
Old Oct 25th, 2004, 01:11 PM

OH yes, and Naples if FREQUENTLY the warmest spot in the nation in January!! Yes, warmer than Key West and way warmer than Arizona.
Old Oct 25th, 2004, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

Sounds heavenly! I just got word that one week will have to be spent at Indian Shores near Clearwater/St. Pete's. I wish I had Patrick's advice about not going north of Sarasota before I got word today when I got home from work...shucks! I was asking on another thread about the Bay and Beach Club in Indian Shores and wonder if anyone has heard of it?? Maybe I can get further south for my second week!
Old Oct 25th, 2004, 05:40 PM

Patrick, do you think 5 degrees will make any real difference to someone who is here in the winter from Canada? Or anywhere north of Atlanta for that matter? My friends who were here from Atlanta were so thrilled with the weather in Tampa this weekend.

Indian Shores is very nice, Canuck. I don't know the Bay and Beach Club myself but the beach is great.
Old Oct 25th, 2004, 07:12 PM

Actually Tandoori Girl, the difference between Naples and Tampa tends to be more like 10 degrees in the winter. Yes, there is a lot of difference between 61 and 71, or 55 and 65. I don't think that's important to everyone, but clearly this poster is highly concerned with it being WARM.
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 04:01 AM

I am a very cold natured person and absolutely detest cold weather. I remember searching out the warmest spot in Florida when we were planning a December vacation and I ended up choosing Naples for this reason. However, I have spent far too much money healing abused dogs so we are staying at home in Atlanta this December since we already have a Hawaiian vacation booked.
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 06:17 AM

Yesterday, Tallahassee and Key West both reported a high of 85. I hope this mild season continues.
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 06:25 AM

Are you looking for a family vacation? What is important to you? I think it depends on your needs. My parents LOVE Naples and are shopping for a condo there now. A lot of their friends have winter places there as well so they all get together. However it seems like it is more of a mature crowd based on what I've heard. Is this true (Patrick? you seem to know the area well) or is it a good vaca spot for families w/small kids as well?
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 06:27 AM
GoTravel

I am miserable at under 75 degrees.

Looks like our move to Florida isn't that far away.

Old Oct 26th, 2004, 07:36 AM

GoTravel - I am with you. You will probably never catch me snow skiing because I have no desire to be in snow. I am the one that enjoys traveling to Florida during the hottest months and ditto for Charleston. In fact one of my favorite things about Charleston is that it is the one city that does not feel obliged to blow their air conditioning in stores and restaurants making me freeze during the summer months.

I have to bring a cardigan or light jacket when eating out at most restaurants (unless I am sittin outside) in Atlanta during the summer.

My husband is concerned that if I am already this way, how am I going to be at 80?