Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Ok I know this is a stupid question, but which part of Florida would you say would be a good substitute for Hawaii?

Ok I know this is a stupid question, but which part of Florida would you say would be a good substitute for Hawaii?

Old Feb 15th, 2004, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've been to Maui several times and just LOVE it. Unfortunately, we live in the midwest where it can be extremely expensive flying to Hawaii. So as a Hawaii fix, we were thinking of going to Florida instead this fall. What are the best spots in Florida that could come close to Hawaii?
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 07:07 AM

Hello! First, there are no stupid questions.

Your posting comes at a perfect time for me. I, too, have been to the islands numerous times, but Florida is a relatively easy drive, so we've also been looking into our Hawaii substitute.

For my beach "fix", I enjoy a mega resort, with shops, a fancy pool, and beachfront. We've been to Captiva/Sanibel, great places for relaxing but very remote. Last month we went to Clearwater, but the traffic was overwhelming. Beautiful, huge beaches.

We do enjoy the Beach Club at Disney, but their prices are $$$$. So now we're looking at combining an Orlando trip with a week at the Oceanwalk Resort at Daytona (oceanwalk.com). It's a timeshare condo resort with condos for rent (check tripadvisor.com for reviews). The pool looks great and it's close to shopping and restaurants.

I asked the question yesterday whether anyone had any other comments, and I have yet to hear. Hopefully, this note will generate some interest as well.

Good luck, and happy travels!
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 07:17 AM

Are you committed to staying in the US? Costa Rica has some of the most beautiful scenery I've ever seen. Also very nice beaches. Last time we were there I recall standing on a beautiful stretch of uncrowded beach and thinking that we will probably not return to Hawaii. We live in the midwest as well, and it's much easier and usually cheaper to get to Costa Rica.

Jean
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 08:03 AM

Lilley, can you tell us what things you like about Hawaii?

I recommend Sanibel, Captiva, Gasparilla Island, Little Palm Island, Siesta Key, Anna Maria Island, Boca Grande, Sunset Beach, Passe-a-Grille, Amelia Island, or the Florida Keys for an island atmosphere. Unfortunately, there is not a lot of shopping in these places, but there is shopping nearby.

For beach towns that have shopping, museums, and culture, I'd suggest Miami, Sarasota, Naples, and St. Petersburg.

Also, I enjoy Seaside in the Florida panhandle. But it can be a little chilly in the fall and the shopping is minimal.

Old Feb 15th, 2004, 09:52 AM

Sorry, but I live in FL and still think that nothing compares to Maui. Of course, because I live so close to the beaches, my objective in Hawaii was to see the mountains, tropical forests, and waterfalls. That being the case, I agree with the previous poster that Costa Rica would be a far better choice than FL for scenery comnparable to Hawaii. Good luck, and have fun no matter where you go!

Old Feb 15th, 2004, 09:54 AM

Oops, I meant comparable.

Old Feb 15th, 2004, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions. Not sure if DH wants to go to Costa Rica. Any other ideas? Oceanwalk sounds nice too. I've thought about Naples. We would like to be near shopping areas.
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 08:11 AM

I live in Naples and have been to Hawaii and the closest I have seen in FL is here in Naples at the Naples Beach Hotel at Sunset. If you are back on the lawn looking out at the gulf past the palm tress it really reminds me of Hawaii, except there aren't any islands off in the distance. THe gulf beaches on the west coast of FL more resemble Hawaii than the east cost of FL- mainly b/c of the sunsets over the water. If you want a Mega resort I would suggest the Registry where you can take a tram through the mangrove forest to the beach where there is a beach bar and grille, etc. THe also have great restaurants and a new nightclub that is packed on the weekends.
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 08:16 AM
GoTravel

I think if you go to Florida expecting it to be a good substitution, you will be disappointed.

Instead, concentrate on the wonderful things Florida has to offer.

For a completely different island vacation, try Key West. It is nutty, fun, has wonderful dining and attractions.

St. Augustine has some of the most wonderful architecture in the country. Check out the wonderful beach areas surrounding.

Miami is the most exotic city in the US. For wonderful sutltry nights and hot beach days, check out Miami Beach.

Old Feb 16th, 2004, 08:25 AM

Don't forget about hurricane season in Florida in the Fall! That could completely ruin a trip. Worst months are August through the end of October or mid-November. Even if there isn't a hurricane, the fall months are typically the rainiest months in Florida. August/Sept/Oct can be realty hot and humid, hotter and more humid than Hawaii on average. Once you get into November, you run into the chance of cool weather, low 70s which may not be beach weather.

The beauty of Hawaii are pretty much constant temps and low rainfall, esp in the Fall. No typhoons or cyclones either.
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 08:33 AM
OliveOyl

I can't think of a place in FL that can compare with Maui, primarily because it's so flat and part of the beauty of Maui are the mountains behind you, the ocean in front. St. John might be a viable alternative--some beautiful beaches, including some that are remote and unpopulated, plus topography that can mimic a bit of HI, though on a much smaller scale.

Bermuda is another absolutely gorgeous island though obviously more densely populated than Maui or St. John (but so picturesquely so that it doesn't detract an iota from the ambiance of the island). With some research you can find beautiful beaches you can have all to yourself there too, plus fantastic snorkeling. I actually preferred Bermuda to Maui!

Old Feb 16th, 2004, 08:37 AM
OliveOyl

cicerone...you forget Hurricane Iniki! Our hotel there was over a year in the rebuilding!

Old Feb 16th, 2004, 11:59 AM

If Hawaii is not in your budget, then the Caribbean probably isn't either. There are many islands in the Caribbean that have rain forests. Some with black sand beaches also have extinct volcanos.

Sometimes there are good deals available to Puerto Rico and Jamaica. Not nearly Hawaii but you might give it a try if you can find a deal.
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

I've thought about the carribean, but it seems expensive also. I just thought Florida may have some pretty tropical areas with beautiful beaches. If we decide on Naples, what airport would we fly into? Tampa? I need to do some research on Naples.
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 03:00 PM

Tampa has a great airport but I'd guess it would be closer for you to fly into Miami/Ft. Lauderdale. I don't know a thing about Naples airport or if it even has one -- maybe there's one in Fort Myers. Someone else should have that information, I'm in Tampa so I would just drive there.

If you're flying into Miami, consider spending some time there at South Beach, Coral Gables, and Cocoanut Grove. And then head on down to Key West. Just a thought. You would surely like the tropical nature of Florida's southernmost cities, if that's what you liked about Hawaii.
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 03:21 PM
OliveOyl

It's easiest to fly into Ft Myers. Occasionally you might save going into Tampa or Miami, but to me the drive would negate any savings.

Our son did the reverse, flying into Ft Myers to come to Tampa when he was coming for Super Bowl a couple of years ago, and airfares to Tampa had been raised out of sight to coincide with that weekend. It isn't that bad a drive, but...I'm getting lazy I guess.

I used to fly into Ft Myers from Dallas often when my parents lived in Bonita Beach. The airport was rinky dink to say the least then, but it is anything but that now--a completely new facility.

Old Feb 20th, 2004, 05:07 AM

NO part of Florida. It just CAN'T compare to Hawaii (and this is from a confirmed Keys lover). The only area that MIGHT compare is Little Palm Island, a private island off Big Pine Key - but it's extremely pricey and exclusive. The rest of mainland Florida is like Waikiki on a bad day - crowded and unfulfilling. The Keys are delightful - but no real beaches and flat scenery.
Old Jun 12th, 2004, 08:34 PM

Lush jungles are very rare in Florida. It is more flat expanses of grass such as the Everglades. I would fly into Miami, and stay for a few days in South Beach, it is very funky and the Art Deco is fantastic. Next rent a car and drive to Key West. Another very unique setting. The ride is beautiful and alot cheaper than flying directly into Key West. Stay a guest house not a chain hotel. Enjoy Florida for its own sake and you will have a great time.
Old Jun 13th, 2004, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Any hotel suggestions? Would prefer to stay on the beach if we decide on Key West.
Old Jun 13th, 2004, 07:27 AM

I think Key West would be the antithesis of Hawaii other than some tropical flowers and drinks.

If you go to Naples I would recommend LaPlaya as having the most tropical atmosphere.

http://www.laplayaresort.com/

In the Keys, it would be Little Palm. Very very expensive. Better to spend the money flying to HI probably but it is one terrific resort. About the most luxurious and relaxed I have encountered.

http://www.littlepalmisland.com/accommodations.cfm

LMF

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -