Princeville - Resort and activities

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2005, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, hubby and I are leaving in 3 weeks and need to make reservations! Spending 6 days in Maui, then 10 in Kauai - 2 nights at the Princeville resort and 7 at the Marriott in Lihue. This is our 2nd trip to Kauai, but the 1st time we are staying at Princeville (wanted a couple of nights in the lap of luxury). We have a package at the Princeville for a suite which includes breakfast at the Cafe Hanalei and half price on golf (we're both golfers). I just bought the new version of Ultimate Kauai (used them on last visit also). We know we will play golf once in Princeville and one at the Lagoons course (played the Lagoons before -loved it). Also planning to eat at Roys and Beach House again. So here are my questions for those of you "experienced" in Kauai activities:
-Which Princeville restaurant for dinner and why? (we love seafood and tropical drinks)
-Has anyone taken the Horesback riding/waterfall tour by Princeville Stables?
-Has anyone taken the NaPali Catamaran tour?
-Since we have 7 more days on the isle after leaving the Princeville, should we just relax and enjoy the resort or explore the north shore while in that area?
I'm so excited....can't wait to get back to Duke's Canoe Club for their maitais!
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 09:22 AM

Dinner @ Princeville:
At the hotel, you'll have a choice of 2 restaurants; I'd suggest La Cascata (book a window table, go early). Their menu is quasi-Italian, of the seafood/veal kind -- no plates of spaghetti here. If you're craving seafood, head into Hanalei and dine either at The Dolphin, or at Sushi 'n Blues (their menu offers much more than just sushi -- and their martini menu is fabulous!). Upstairs in Ching Young Village in "downtown Hanalei", with lovely views of the pali (mountains).

Princeville Stables: we haven't done it, but friends/family/visitors rave about the skill of the guides, the views, the condition of the trails, and the great horses.

NaPali Tour: no matter which one you take, you'll be in awe. 8-)

Exploring the north coast:
Definitely explore our wonderful north shore (yes, I'm prejudiced!!) -- Ke`e Beach at the end of road, Kilauea Lighthouse, `Anini Beach (great place to "chill out" -- no crowds), and of course Hanalei Bay.

Have a wonderful time!
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 12:42 PM

We did the NaPali catamaran tour several years ago, it was great! You go by parts of the island where "Jurassic Park" was filmed. You also get to see lots of dolphins and sea turtles.

For dinner at the Princeville I would also recommend La Cascata restaurant. Be sure to make a reservation ahead of time so you can get seating next to a window to enjoy the ocean and mountain views. The food was very good and the ambience was romantic.

My spouse and I usually left the resort to do a little exploring each day. We just drove around a bit exploring taking in all the sights. There is also another italian restaurant just outside of the resort, perhaps a mile away that was very good too. Yummy seafood.
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 12:55 PM

Ah yes, I forgot to mention Sabella's...a very stroll from the Princeville Hotel. Views only to the mountains, but nice truly-Italian, mostly-seafood menu.
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 02:08 PM

I was really surprised by how good it was! Didn't expect it. I'm surprised it's not more well known. Perhaps it is and I'm just out of it
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your input - I'm taking notes.....
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 12:29 PM

Last year in early Sept. we took Captain Sundown Napali Trip. This was a nice boat trip and because it leaves out of Hanalei, it was easy for us to get to and we didn't leave so early in the morning so we did not have to get up extra early. Captain Sundown was great and his son told lots of little stories. He grow up on the island so he was full of . We snorkeled and had a nice little lunch. It was relaxing and the coast was beautiful.
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 01:55 PM

You didn't mention any more golf courses, but you had better do Poipu Bay as well as Princeville Prince and Kauai Lagoons (Kiele course, I presume). It is also a standout course..... and a lot harder than Phil Mickelson made it look when he shot his 59 there last November. We did all 3 courses, plus Puakea, in April. Have fun!