Reload this Page >

Priceville or Sheraton Kauai?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 05:16 PM
Scott

I'm going in late August and using points, it is the same amount of points for each hotel. We have our 8 year old daughter going with us. I planned to go to the Sheraton because of the weather, but I read so many good things about the Priceville.

Any thoughts about this? Thanks in advance.

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 06:47 PM
Christina

Scott,

We stayed at the Sheraton Poipu last year & I must say the room was kinda hohum, but because I'm a SPG we got a good deal. So I guess I can't complain that much. The Ocean View was fantastic though. The Sheratons just not what I call a "resort".

The location was great because it was close to Waimea Canyon, to the fishing port & Lihue wasn't a terrible drive away. Like you said the weather was perfect and snorkeling was great.

I've heard great things about Princeville so if you don't mind doing a couple hours driving each day then...
it just depends on whats important to your family.

Hope I helped!

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 07:19 PM
lou

Honestly, I didnt read your or the other posts....just the heading....

a few years back we stayed at Princeville and then move to sheraton so that we could spend time on each side of the island...........

Big mistake,,,,,,,,they are worlds apart and we wanted to run back to the Princeville as soon as we'd arrived

Note: we'd been to and explored the island before, so we know both areas.

Princeville. yes
Sheraton.....no way...I'd rather rent a house or condo in that part of the island. good luck!!!!

Old Nov 23rd, 2002, 04:00 PM
laura

Scott,
We stayed at the Sheraton Kauai this past Feb. with our kids ages 11 & 12.
The location was great. As Christina
posted, the rooms were ok but the view was great. We stayed in the deluxe ocean category. I probably wouldn't stay there if I had to stay in the garden view rooms as they are located across the street from the main resort. I also liked the fact that the ocean was right there meaning no stairs down to the beach or hopping into a car to get to it. The atmosphere of the hotel was warm and friendly not overdone. We were fortunate enough to have a monk seal park it on the beach one afternoon.
We would definately go back to the Sheraton Kauai with our children. I can't comment on Princeville as we've never stayed there. Have a great trip!

Old Nov 24th, 2002, 11:59 AM
SG

Princeville is luxury- Sheraton had roaches last time we stayed there.

Old Nov 24th, 2002, 01:46 PM
Tony

The only thing comparable to Princeville is the Grand Hyatt. Sheraton is a real step down.

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 06:11 AM
Carol Jensen

My husband and I just went to Kuai this summer and stayed at both the Sheraton Kuai on the southside and the Sheraton Princeville on the northside. We are members of Sheraton Preferred Guests Program. Looks like you are too! We stayed for free at the princeville using the free weekends program and paid $125/night at the the Sheraton Kuai so we could obtain more points. Luckily we were upgraded to a ocean front room at the Sheraton Kuai and Princeville. Perhaps that is what made are stay there so nice. The Princeville is more luxury then the sheraton kuai. I did notice that there are some very unimpressive rooms at the sheraton Kuai in the back of the hotel and a far walk to the beach but I don't think they put spg there ... make sure you do not get one of those garden rooms. But, we did really enjoyed both hotels. Although, when we first checked into the Princeville our room was musty smelling and very disapointing for a luxury property. But, luckily they moved us to a brighter better room. The weather was more warmer and more sunny on the southside then at the Princeville. And the Sheraton Kuai does have a comp continental breakfast and free evening Matai hour with Hula dancers which was very nice and free parking. We don't have children but we noticed their were more families with children at the sheraton Kuai. The pool at the Sheraton Kuai is better for kids. The Princeville seemed to be more couples without children. But, if your staying for free you might choose the Princeville because rooms their usually run around $500/night and it would be a once in a lifetime experience. Better yet if you can break up your stay like we did stay at both hotels then you get to enjoy both sides of the island. I suggest purchasing a great travel book called "The Ultimate Kauai Guidebook". It is written by unbiased individuals that lived on the island. I can tell you that we also stayed at the Royal Hawaiin in Honolulu and found it to be more luxury and impressive then the Princeville... which is strange because the Princeville is ranked higher. Proabably because the Princeville offers Golf. Have fun!

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 12:40 PM
PJ

I stayed at the Princeville Resort for 6 days for my 31st wedding anniversay in September and I don't think I saw any children the entire time I was there. (Could be because I wasn't there in the summer) And, my room came with 2 of the biggest Roaches I have ever seen in my entire life. The front desk sent housekeeping up to spray our room and gave us a bottle of wine (we don't drink) they couldn't move use because the hotel was full.