Pricelin

May 11th, 2006, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

Pricelin

Just wondering what is the best way to bid on priceline to get the best price on hotels such as Venetian and such.
May 11th, 2006, 11:16 AM

Have you used priceline before?

For starters, check biddingfortravel.com and betterbidding.com for advice on bidding. These website also give lists of what hotels are typically awared, and people post at what prices and dates they had sucess. Also, keep in mind, you can not pick a hotel, priceline awards whichever hotel within your parameters (location and stars) that will accept your bid (if any).

It is important also to seek out the best rates first by checking hotel websites, booking sites, and even calling the hotel and asking about any specials rates they may have. Naturally, whatever you bid, should be less than the best price you can find elsewhere.

ALso keep in mind, when you use priceline, you may not being able to make special requests, like room locaton, # of beds and that kind of thing. I've generally have had pretty good look with using priceline.
May 11th, 2006, 11:32 AM

And the most important thing to know about Priceline in addition to above is that once you "win" a bid on a hotel, your credit card is charged and you own it - you do not get to pick a different hotel, change your mind, correct mistakes on dates you entered, amend your reservation if your plans change, you get sick, etc.

We have gotten some great deals on Priceline, but buyer beware - it is not for everyone on every trip.
May 11th, 2006, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

I just booked on priceline last week for my trip. 6 days in los angeles and then I'll be in Vegas for 3 days. I think I got a pretty good deal in LA but am having a hard time in Vegas. Thanks for your posts
May 11th, 2006, 11:43 AM

Article in recent NY Times travel section (sorry, don't remember date) speaking of how great deals in Las Vegas were disappearing as Las Vegas tries to upscale its image and downplay its appropriateness for kids.
May 11th, 2006, 11:48 AM

priceline deals for LV on weekends sometimes could be tough. We tried for LV without success.
May 11th, 2006, 11:50 AM
JJ5

If I remember correctlly and it still remains the same, you can pick your location pretty exactly in the LV Priceline scenario.

I do remember that you can bid off strip in one specific area and that when you look at a map, you will see that you are going to get Orleans, Rio or the Palms. And any of those are good. Actually much better than some on the Strip. Rio has huge rooms.
May 11th, 2006, 04:31 PM

Did you try again for 5 stars? I tried again for 5* in Aug. and it came up....What are your dates?

(this was from a previous post elsewhere!)

You need to read the "bidding on Las Vegas" portion on www.biddingfortravel.com to get what you want at the best price you can!

Keep us posted!
May 12th, 2006, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

I tried again but no luck. Venetian wouldn't go under $300+ a night. I ended up just booked a room at the Luxor for August 3-4-5.
May 12th, 2006, 06:09 AM

you could try priceline again at a later date. You can always cancel your reservation.
May 12th, 2006, 05:47 PM

imjewwelzz,

I have got the Venetian twice on Priceline a few days before. That is when they release more rooms. You will Love the Venetian! It is so much nicer than the Luxor. Is the Luxor something that you can cancel?

OH, If you sign up online at the hotel websites, they send you specials. Last year, I got one for the Venetian for $99 per night directly with the hotel! I signed up for Bellagio too, and got a $149 a night special and we ended up staying there for Labor Day. I love both hotels.
I just got my Bellagio card in the mail today with the same price! Call them direct and see if they will give it to you. You will like either of those hotels SO much more than the Luxor. The Luxor is kind of cheesy and way at the end of the strip.

Jun 26th, 2006, 02:57 PM

I got the Venetian for midweek in August on Priceline for $124, then received an invitation from their slot club for $129! Figuring in the Priceline service fees, I'd have been better off with the $129 rate. Plus, when I called the hotel today to be sure I got a non-smoking room, the clerk was really snooty when she looked up my reservation and said, "Oh, you booked through Priceline."