Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

President Obama, Here We Come - Please Help The Maitais To Not Commit a "Capitol" Offense!

President Obama, Here We Come - Please Help The Maitais To Not Commit a "Capitol" Offense!

Old Jan 29th, 2009, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts

In an attempt to further stimulate our nation's economy we are foregoing a European adventure this year to visit Washington D.C. this Spring. Obviously, the country will be on its highest alert during this time (do we still have the Color Wheel of Terror in effect now that Bush is gone).

Homeland Security has been warned that Tracy, Kim, Mary and I will be on the loose in early May roaming from monument to monument, museum to museum, and bar to bar. The Smithsonian has already hired extra guards knowing I want to climb inside the Apollo 11 Command Module ("One small step for man, perhaps the end of mankind.").

Kim and I are trying to set up a little game of two-on-two with Obama and Biden, but they don't know if the basketball court will be ready by then.

We have a reservation at The Hotel Rouge, a hotel said to be frequented by "young hipsters" and "who have barmaids in go-go boots and mini-skirts." They also have a "Cold Pizza and Bloody Mary Bar" on weekend mornings. This sounds like the sophisticated type of place we "Middle-Aged Hipsters" like to stay (plus we got a great deal).

In any case, I would like to inquire about some Fodorite favorite restaurants and also tips for someone who has not visited DC since Reagan's first term. We also want to take a day trip to both Mount Vernon and Monticello, since Jefferson was the first president Kim voted for (cheap shot, I know). Is there public transportation or is it better to rent a car?

Thanks for any help you might be able to give us for better enjoying our stay, and I will pass on your best wishes (well, most of you anyway) to the Obamas.
Old Jan 29th, 2009, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can get to Mount Vernon on public transit, either on the 11Y bus:

http://www.wmata.com/bus/timetables/va/11y.pdf

or by taking the Metro Yellow Line to its terminus at Huntington and then taking the Fairfax Connector bus 151:

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/connect...rt_151_web.pdf

Monticello is worthwhile but it's 2+ hours drive away, definitely would rent a car for that if you really want to go there. Spend the night in Charlottesville, visit the Rotunda and Lawn at the University of Virginia. To continue the Presidents' houses tour you can add in Monroe's house, Ash Lawn, which is very close to Monticello, and Madison's house, Montpelier which is in Orange County (between Charlottesville and DC).
Old Jan 29th, 2009, 11:46 AM

YES -- thanks for your "stimulation", both economically as well as to my funny bone.

That's all .... I haven't been to Wash DC since I was 10 yrs old. With such a well-scribed description of your intentions, I'm sure Barack will roll out the red carpet. Have you emailed the White House staff?

http://www.whitehouse.gov/

http://www.whitehouse.com/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/

Old Jan 29th, 2009, 12:18 PM
twk

I got the weekly Metro pass when I went in 2003 and used the heck out of it.

For some different entertainment, check out the Capitol Steps: http://www.capsteps.com/ They do some great song parodies, and I found it very entertaining (most political junkies should).

For your trip to Arlington Cemetery, when I was there, outside the summer months, the tram that will take you various places in the cemetery didn't start operating until 8:30, yet the cemetery opened at 8:00 a.m. If you can stand a little walking, I highly reccommend that you pick a nice weather day, get there just before the cemetery opens, then, when it opens, instead of going to the Kennedy graves (as everyone seems to do--it is close to the entrance), make a bee line for the Tomb of the Unknowns. If you get luck like I did, you might get to be the sole witness to the Changing of the Guard ceremony (every half hour, I think), which will allow you to move around and see it from different angles, rather than having to stake out a spot along the rope line.
Old Jan 29th, 2009, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Great ideas so far.

We will probably do Monticello as a day trip (we don't mind getting up early). If we did two in a day, would it be easier to combo Monticello with Ash Lawn or Montpelier?

As political junkies, the Capitol Steps sound great.

Tess, hopefully Barack and Michelle will have the martinis chilling for us when we arrive.

Old Jan 29th, 2009, 01:26 PM

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
Monticello, Montpelier, and Ash Lawn combined make for a solid two days, if not pushing three, and the combination ticket is sold for all three homes at a discount. It all depends on what you want to submit yourself to. Plus, on the drive (do rent a car) from DC to Charlottesville there is a bit of antique shopping along the way that might slow you or your travel companions down.

If your itinerary only has room for two in a long day, I'd pick Monticello (and the UVA campus) and Montepelier.

Welcome back to DC! Can't wait to read your trip report!
Old Jan 29th, 2009, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks fourfortravel. We are gluttons for punishment so we'll probably see Presidents three and four on the same day.

Speaking of gluttons, if anyone has recommendations on their favorite DC restaurants where we can hum "Hail To The Chef," those would be greatly appreciated, too.

Old Jan 29th, 2009, 02:19 PM

If you like Mediterranean/Greek food, I highly recommend Zaytinya. It is small plates (similar to tapas). Its nice to grab dinner there, and then wander over to see the White House and the monuments at night. If you find that Michelle and Barack do not have martinis chilling for you, Zaytinya has a great one made with Grey Goose pear. Yummy (and strong.)

The Old Ebbitt Grill is a classic lunch spot where many Washington DC celebrities (aka, politicians) often dine.

Jaleo is good for Spanish tapas and sangria.

If you're wandering the mall around lunch time, or spending time at one of the Smithsonians there, I would definitely recommend the cafeteria at the Museum of the American Indian.

Have a great trip!
Old Jan 29th, 2009, 03:09 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Some of my favorites restaurants include:
For casual for pizza, Pizza Paradiso; for casual cafe Michel Richard's Central; for seafood Kinkeads; if you're up on the Hill, try Johnnie's Half Shell or Montmarte for a French cafe;
in Adams Morgan, Cashions Eat Place; for oysters, Hanks Oyster Bar; for Mexican, Oyamel; for Indian Rasikas. The current hot restaurant in DC is Komi's. Need reservations well in advance. If the weather is nice, take the Red Line to Cleveland Park and sit outside at Palena's cafe...great $10 hamburgers, fried lemons and other good food. And of course u must try Ben's Chili Bowl -- Obama already has been there.
Anything special you'd like to try? Also check out Washingtonian Magazine, they do a top 100 Restaurans, Bargain Restaurants and Cheap Eats issue.

Hotel Rouge is a fun place.

Have a great trip and can't wait to read your trip report on my hometown...
Old Jan 29th, 2009, 03:13 PM

Oops forgot to include the link to Washingtonian magazine
http://tinyurl.com/3kcg4h
Old Jan 29th, 2009, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks bethke and yestravel for the restaurant recommendations.

bethke, At least it looks like we'll have great martinis even if the Obamas don't invite us over. Sounds great.

yestravel, we'll try to keep your home city in one piece while we're in town. I believe it will be a trip report of Historical Proportions (especially having cocktails with the Obamas).

Are there restaurants near the Moulin (I mean Hotel) Rouge? How is the bar? I think Kim and I were sold when they stated "go-go boots and mini skirts."

Old Jan 29th, 2009, 04:54 PM

Hey maitai! We just stayed in the Hotel Rouge over Thanksgiving. It's a nice hotel in a great location.

Now I'm not much of a foodie so I rarely make mention of restaurants on Fodors, but we had a fab meal at La Tasca, a spanish tapas restaurant near Chinatown, for Thanksgiving. The tapas were excellent, as were the sangrias. The place is really cozy, with tons of throw pillows on the benches.

Happy planning!
Tracy
Old Jan 29th, 2009, 05:02 PM

Let's see, Hotel Rouge is on 16th St and close to Dupont Circle -- Pizza Paradiso is there. More upscale in Dupont Circle is Obelisk. Komi's is also within walking distance. We've had good Greek food at Mourayis also in Dupont Circle on Conn Ave. I'm not a huge fan, but alot of people like Lauriol Plaza for Tex mex food. It has a nice outside -- good bar scene and okay food and is nearby on 18th St. Tabard Inn on N St is a few blocks from the hotel & is a nice place for brunch and has a lovely patio. Nora's on Florida Ave is quite expensive and known for her organic local food. There are lots others but I cant think of any at the moment. On Sundays from 9 -1 there is a great Farmers Market at Dupont Circle.

The bar scene at the Hotel used to be quite loud and was busy after work especially.

Don't worry about keeping DC in one piece--many would like to break it into many pieces esp the party that just left town. I will expect to read about your adventures on the front page of the Washington Post and will keep an eye on local news during your stay...or should I watch 4 u on National news?? When will u be here?
Old Jan 29th, 2009, 07:03 PM

I wonder if I'd be allowed at Hotel Rouge. I'm neither young nor hip but the go-go boots and miniskirts sound good. Doesn't sound like D.C. tho.

There is a boat that goes from Georgetown to Old Town Alexandria to Mt Vernon to Georgetown.

If you fly on an American airline, stay at an American chain hotel, then wouldn't you actually still be helping the U.S. economy? You be reducing the trade imbalance because your dollars would be coming back home. Just a theory of mine - probably as good as an economic theory coming from Wall Street.
Old Jan 29th, 2009, 07:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I just returned from my third stay at the Hotel Rouge in as many months. I can attest to its rougeness, its moderate hipness (this is DC after all) and its fabulous location across the street from the Australian Embassy.

The place originated as apartments in the 1960s so the good news is that the rooms are very spacious. The not as good news is that most of the bathrooms are very tiny. Great visuals, great staff.

I agree with nearly all the restaurant rec's you've received so far. washingtonian.com is my favorite site for dining reviews. The current issue is the annual 100 best restaurants.
Old Jan 29th, 2009, 08:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you're going to do two of the presidential homes in one day, I would second the recommendation for choosing Monticello and Montpelier.

Get to Monticello as early as feasible. It's about 2.5 hours from DC and I think the grounds open before 9 am.

The docents who guide the tours through the house absolutely worship Thomas Jefferson and they try ever so carefully to thread the Sally Hemmings needle. They will field tour group questions so make sure to put them politely on the spot about this topic!

However else you construct your day, do not for one moment consider eating at the abomination called Mitchie Tavern which is en route up the mountain to Monticello.

Montpelier is about 45 minutes from Monticello and recently completed a multi year renovation which included tearing down the pink stucco facade and additions built by the duPonts in the early 20th C. The tour offers wonderful insight into the archeology and conservation of the renovation. If that sort of thing is at all interesting to you, it's a don't miss.

It'll be a long day before you see the H. Rouge in the evening but it's doable.
Old Jan 30th, 2009, 03:57 AM

Tom, we are just a short drive away on the eastern shore of MD. I could put on the monk show (no charge) and we could make sgroppino.

Our town has Washington College to keep in theme with the presidential touring. And for dining pleasure, the best the Chesapeake Bay has to offer.

bfrac
Old Jan 30th, 2009, 04:24 AM

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
I'll second Zaytinya's, although its increase in popularity means you'll likely have to wait for a table. Old Ebbitt Grill is always a nice place, too. If you're in the Dupont Circle area at lunchtime, Teaism has delightful bento lunches.

As for the museum cafes, American Indian is my favorite (for the interesting variety and food quality), followed by the National Gallery of Art (selection, waterfall seating and cool lights along the walkway, and the nearby gelato). American History, Natural History and Air & Space appeal to the masses.
Old Jan 30th, 2009, 04:34 AM

Will DC ever be the same?!

The hop-on/off busses are fine. You might look into the DC Duck (DH and I took the Baltimore one and it was fun);

Spy Museum (check on-line for advance tickets)

Portrait and American Art Museums (near Spy and super interesting IMO)

Botanic Gardens are lovely-stand in front of and facing Capitol and turn to the right and voila!

There is a tunnel between National Museum of Art and the East wing-GIFT SHOP there and cafeteria

Mint has interesting tour

If you get to Charlottesville proper, they have a nice pedestrian area called the Downtown Mall

Back to DC, the zoo is fun and oh, on the way back from bfrac's town (my home town btw), stop off in Annapolis for Wednesday night sail boat races at 6. Also in Annapolis, the Naval Academy has a dynamite tour-DH and I have taken it with out of towners (OUTs) the returned to do it again on our own.

See if you can get the magazine "Washingtonian" online, it has good list of museum stuff.
If you want to have a gtg at the Old Ebbitt Grille, just say the word!
Old Jan 30th, 2009, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

I didn't know there were so many Fodorites in the DC area. We will try and be on our best behavior, which (as you know) still gets us in a lot of trouble. Who am I kidding? We're never on our best behavior.

It looks like we could spend a month here. You never know; if someone picks a watering hole, we might all show up, and if we're lucky, Barack will pick up the check. Hey, why not a Fodorite Martini Bailout?!

Thank you very much for all your suggestions and transportation info.

And bfrac, watch out for those swords. The monks are trained professionals.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -