PRE-FIX DINNERS ON TELECHARGE.COM

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone bought these dinners on line? When I went to one of the sights (theatermania maybe) I was sent to telecharge.com to purchase my tickets, which I did. They also offer "pre-fix" dinners at Sardis, Four Seasons, Tavern of the Green, and the Rainbow Room before the theater. I called their 800 number, and for $49 at the Four Seasons, etc. etc. you have this menu which they post on their website to choose from. I then called the hotel direct (Four Seasons) and was told they don't have a before theater menu. It sounds like a good deal if we don't get to the restaurant and find out we've wasted our money. Help!
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 09:01 AM

I'm guessing you are confusing the Four Seasons Restaurant (with five different dining rooms) in the Seagram Building on 52nd Street with the Four Seasons Hotel on 57th which has the Fifty-Seven Fifty-Seven Restaurant within.
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 09:42 AM

I've glanced at those and quickly passed them by. There are so many really good restaurants in the theatre district that have far better value pre-fixe pre-theatre meals. I'm not a big help, because I almost always do dinner after the show. But there have been many posts here regarding pre-theatre restaurants and their menus. Do a search and you'll find lots of other information.
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 10:01 AM

$49 is s pretty good price for the Four Seasons Restaurant. What does that include?
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 10:13 AM

I apologize. I was thinking of the regular specials that come up as part of the Theatremania site. But if you go there and click on Telecharge you find these offers that Feiny is referring to, Howard.

Yes it is THE Four Seasons Restaurant and it says normally in the Pool Room, unless sold out, then in the Grill Room. It is good for 5:30 seatings. The menu is listed -- sounds very nice.
To me an even more interesting idea is that it is also available Saturday nights only at 10:30 and also after Wed. and Sat. matinees at 5 PM.
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Yes, it is THE Four Seasons and THE Rainbow Room, too. I thought this would be a great way to eat at a one of these expensive places for the price of an a la carte main course alone. I was just a little apprehensive giving this sight my credit card # without any of you ever having tried it. I have visions of my husband and I getting there only to be told they don't know anything about it! But if it is true, I'm happy to find something new for the rest of you. This travel talk has been so much help to me in the past year. I think I'll "go for it" and let you know when I get back from NYC on the 16th of November how my dinner was!
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 01:47 PM

Please do. I'm really kind of interested in the one at the Four Seasons.

I know the Rainbow Grill is very expensive, but their menu for $54 sure didn't inspire. In fact it seemed kind of chintzy.

Just to put yourself at ease, I would call The Four Seasons again and ask if they are familiar with the vouchers (I guess that's what you get) from Telecharge for the 5:30 $49 dinner. Although I now see you say you called "the hotel direct". Do you mean you called the Four Seasons Hotel or the Four Seasons restaurant? Two different things.
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 03:06 PM
Original Poster

I called the hotel direct, and then was transferred to the restaurant. However, it was in the middle of Sunday Brunch, and I think the person I talked with was terribly busy. The restaurant person said something about not knowing about the vouchers, but that they do have a pre theater menu, but it's ala carte. Made no sense to me, and the person was crazy busy, with people interrupting all the time. So....again, I'm going to "chance it" and let you know. I decided against Tavern on the Green, because it's too far away, and more expensive. Also, I went to Sardi's maybe 25 years ago after the theater, and it was fun. People who performed in the show were actually in there eating, too. But now I need a new experience, so it's off to the Plaza on the "Eloise Special", and on to dinner at the Four Seasons on the "Telecharge Voucher"!
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 04:18 PM

No, no, Feiny. You were transferred to the restaurant of the Four Seasons Hotel. You need to call the Four Seasons Restuarant -- not the same thing. It is in the Seagram Building, not in a hotel. 212-754-9494
The Four Seasons Hotel may be one of the best hotels in the city, but the restaurant by the same name is not connected.

By the way, I've been a guest at Sardi's and I find it an overpriced "tourist trap" generally. But I never miss going to the bar upstairs for a drink or two before the show along with their horseradish cheese spread set out. It tides me over until my after theatre dinner. The bartender upstairs, Joe, has been there forever. It is amazing watching him service a bar of maybe 25 to sometimes 50 people usually all alone.
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 04:46 PM

Feiny: You did mention that you phoned "the hotel direct (Four Seasons)" which is NOT where THE Four Seasons Restaurant is located.

Also, THE Rainbow Room is NOT the restaurant listed on telecharge, rather the The Rainbow Room Grill which is an restaurant/bar on the opposite side of the same floor and is not the Rainbow Room with the orchestra and dance floor.
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 07:45 PM
E

OK, not to be too schoolmarmy here, but when did "prix fixe" become "pre-fix"??? Telecharge, or whoever originated this bastardization, should be spanked with a ruler!
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 08:00 PM
Original Poster

I'm so....confused! Where do I go if I pay this $49 each? Do I go to the Four Seasons Hotel? I need to find out! Is this Four Seasons Restaurant worth it?
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 08:12 PM

See http://www.fourseasonsrestaurant.com/ and check out the regular menu. At their website, you'll also find photos of the various rooms. Check out the prices for the items offered on the limited Telecharge menu and see for yourself.

If you do book via Telecharge, just make sure you head for the restaurant and not the hotel with the same name.
Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 04:30 AM

OK, Feiny listen close now. The Four Seasons HOTEL is a great hotel. I don't know anything about their restaurant. The Four Seasons RESTAURANT is THE wonderful restaurant of New York for many years. This is not a difficult choice. The place you WANT to eat at is the Four Seasons RESTAURANT!! Not at the hotel. If you do this $49 deal, you go to the Four Seasons Restaurant in the Seagram Building on 52nd.

PS. I don't understand that bastardization of pre-fix either E. If one wants to do it in English, then just say fixed price.
Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 09:30 AM
OliveOyl

If I'm not mistaken, Pre-fix was OP's spelling, not the website's. It was odd enough I actually looked at the website, saw the restaurant list, but couldn't find "Pre-fix" or prix fixe mentioned.

Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 10:27 AM
E

So, yes, let's stick with "fixed price" then--clear, and, one prays, easy to spell!