Quick - Need for Nov. 13 Dinner - Best Edmonton Restaurants

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12th, 2007, 07:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband is on a business trip in Edmonton this week and was just informed he is a dinner group leader. He just emailed me to get me to look into the best restaurants there. We are new to Alberta and although we have been to Edmonton, we do not have tons of experience in fine dining there.

Requirements - fine dining, great atmosphere, about $100 per person including drinks, for 8-10 people. Can be ethnic but preferably local game (i.e. elk, bison, etc.).

Last time they were at Il Portico and loved it but are supposed to go elsewhere this time. We've been to Murietta's. What do you know about the following:

Hardware Grill
Wile Tangerine
Le Rone
Characters

Any recommendations?
Old Nov 13th, 2007, 06:44 AM

Wild Tangerine might not be the best bet for a business dinner for a group of 8 to 10 - it's a small restaurant.
I would go with either Hardware Grill (expensive but excellent) or Characters. Both have a good ambience and are large enough to even have a separate section (or room, if at Characters) set up for the business lunch. Having had dinners at both establishments on many occasions, I would not hesitate to recommend both (good food, good service, good ambience).
I haven't heard of "Le Rone". Not so strange for me, but very strange for my hubby who is a huge foodie and can't wait to try out any new restaurant!!

Another recommendation - Jack's Grill (in a strip mall on the south side - unusual location but you wouldn't know it once you enter the restaurant, great food and a terrific selection of wines).

Hope this helps.
Old Nov 13th, 2007, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the recommendations. I looked into Hardware Grill, Characters, Cafe de Ville, Le Boheme, and Normands. Would you still choose Characters or Hardware Grill out of those five? This is going to help when my husband and I are able to go on our own as well - I'm a chef and foodie and am itching to try out those places!
Old Nov 13th, 2007, 07:00 AM

We haven't been to La Boheme for quite a long time - it used to be very good; the knock on the cuisine was that the portions were small (well, tiny!!).
Haven't been to Normands recently either, but would say that it is better than average, but not in the same league as Hardware Grill, Characters, and Jack's Grill.
Cafe de Ville is a smallish bistro type restaurant - I'm not sure how well they would handle business dinners, in our experience their service is slow, but again, it's been over a year since we've dined there.

Just had a thought - when you wrote "La Rone" did you mean "La Ronde"?? This is a revolving restaurant at the top of a hotel with a lovely view (during the day)of downtown Edmonton and the Saskatchewan River valley. Haven't been there for dinner, but routinely go there for Sunday brunches, which are very good. The service is very good too.
Old Nov 13th, 2007, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

You're a wealth of information - thank you. I just love French cuisine so fell in love with Le Boheme's menu but for this business function am leaning towards Hardware Grill and Characters.

Sorry - I did mean La Ronde (somehow left out the "d&quot.

I've emailed my husband with reservation info for Hardware Grill and Characters.

Thanks again for your great help!
Old Nov 13th, 2007, 01:37 PM
BAK

How about the MsacDonald Hotel?

There's a million frendcch, etc. restaurtants across Canada, but the Mac is an Edmonton institution and no-one can eat in the mac in any other city, but they sure can eat in a fancy nouveau whatever restaurant anywhere.

Just a thought.

bAK
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

They ate at the Hardware Grill and had a fantastic meal with excellent service. Sounds superb! I'm jealous because I wasn't there but one of these days...
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 06:22 PM

Oh I'm so happy to hear that the dinner was fine. It's always a bit tricky giving restaurant and food advice because people's tastes and expectations can vary so much.
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 10:28 PM

Too bad I did not read this until today ... too late, I guess. But if there is a "next time", try a place called "Unheard of". They have small private rooms ideal for business setting.
Old Nov 16th, 2007, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Borealis, my husband brought home the menu and it is precisely suits both of our tastes. It is how I cook at home, too, but is so nice to go out for a treat. We have pretty high expectations, too, but he tells me they were surpassed!

Eschew, thank you so much for that recommendation! I had never heard of it - sounds just perfect. I will let my husband know as he has several more upcoming Edmonton business trips.