Reload this Page >

Possible to order a good airplane meal?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 02:20 PM
Johnny

The last few I've had have been miserable excuses for food. I have heard that you can order a meal on a plane and that it is fresher than the ones everyone else gets. Is this true? Which kind is the tastiest to order?

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 05:01 PM
Postal

You can order a special meal and it will likely be fresher, but there's no guarantees on taste. I've had several fruit meals (the breakfast was one banana, period!) that were okay but not very filling. I also tried a low fat that was just OK. I've heard good things about the seafood meals but never tried one. I don't take chances with seafood!

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 05:33 PM
arriba!

I don't rely on the airlines to provide wondeful food--I just expect them to transport me from point A to B or whatever. I bring enough to keep from starving on the flight--I just don't think they can be a flying restaurant, regardless what their ads maintain. It is never great, so why bother ordering special meals unless you have a definite dietary requirement?

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 05:41 PM
Amy

I've never bothered to special order; I have too many other travel details to take care of. However, friends who do swear that they're a big improvement over regular airline food, and get a kick out of trying different types at different airlines.
Good question!

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 05:44 PM
plummie

Many airlines are no longer serving meals except on their coast to coast flights. We generally bring on our own meals/snacks anyway. Makes for a much more pleasant flight. Corky's barbecue at the Memphis airport has a take-out window. We've brought on oysters, seafood Louis, and sourdough bread from the Swan Oyster Depot in San Francisco -they do a great job of packing for your flight. In New York, sandwiches from one of the delis-Carnegie, 2nd Avenue, Katz's or whatever.

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 06:20 PM
Renee

My last vegetarian meal: lettuce and tomato on a bun.

The worst part of these meals is the calorie count - one measely cookie 250, roll 225, dressing 150.....and then the entree - I bring something worth it on the plane with me.