Reload this Page >

Puerto Peñasco (Rocky Point), Mexico

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 11:54 AM
Just Me

Has anyone been here? Got a lead from another site and wanted to check it out before we head there. We want to make it part of our trip to OPCNM. I am curious about road conditions and safety is a concern. We will be in a rental car. I know they expect vehicle ownership verification...what if it's a rental?? Is anyone familiar with the Motel/Hotels in the area?

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 12:57 PM
Tony Hughes

Emily and I spent some time there last year. I thought it was a dump.

Standards of many things fairly low. Some new places being built but I wouldn't like to hang about outside at night either. Email me if you want more details.

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 02:30 PM
lisa

What's OPCNM?

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 04:49 PM
Just me

Sorry Lisa, I ment to tell you that OPCNM stands for Organ Pipe Cactus Natonal Monument. It is located in southern Az

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 06:17 PM
Jennifer

1) Rocky Point is pretty much a day trip spot for low budget travellers and college partiers.

2) If you take a rental car into Mexico you are taking on more risk than you understand. First off, many companies won't even allow their cars into Mexico. Second, the risk of theft, damage or a very expensive 'pull over' by the Policia (for the express purpose of getting you to make a cash payoff they can pocket) is not at all trivial.

Rethink your plans. And if you really want to visit RP don't take a rental car.

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 06:20 PM
Just Me

Thanks Jennifer, I posted this same question on another board and have gotten replies that are scary! Definatley has made me re-think this leg of our journey. I have yet to get much positive feedback (1 person)