Possible NYC vacation in December

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2006, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, so I am planning a possible NYC vacation in December.

The issue is, that it is possible that my company may not be funded for the next year, so I might be out of a job and have to look for a new job. If that is the case, then I will feel odd telling a potential employer that I will need 3 days off in December.

But the trip in December is something I promised myself that I would always do....that on a special day I have to be out of my state, or out of the country.

Has anyone here changed jobs or started new jobs with vacations already firmly set in stone?

My friend says that there is nothing uncommon about telling a potential employer about needing certain days off......but this just seems a bit unprofessional to me. Although, i would be more than willing to work on christmas and new years eve if necessary.

Of course, if my job is funded, then this won't even be an issue.

Sigh.....worries.
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 04:22 PM

Not a problem at all. It is quite normal to inform a potential new employer that you have a trip already planned. Of course, wait until the later stages of the interview process - at the time both sides get serious about salary, terms, etc.

The 3 days for the preplanned trip becomes a condition of the hire. We never even blinked when this came up. Whatever you do, do not wait until the job is offered or accepted - or especially until after you start. For us, the days off were a no-go then.

We hired two reps at the same time. One let us know during the interview process about an annual ski trip in January. No problem at all. One waited until 2 months after hire date to tell us they had a trip planned for Prague. No dice. Rep #2 had to wait until the next year to take the trip.
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 04:24 PM

There is no corelation between travelling for a vacation and a job search/interview strategy.

Besides, with your multitude of previous posts here about an upcoming New York vacation, it's become unfair to those that responded and gave you advices that now you're not even sure about going.

You can this the way you want to , but make up your mind.
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 04:26 PM

It seems to me that you have to weigh which is more important--the new job of the three days in NYC.

Old Jul 16th, 2006, 04:27 PM

Isn't one of the final questions in the last job interview (or, if not, in the offer), "when can you start?"
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 04:31 PM
GoTravel

Every time I've switched jobs I've had a vacation already planned. As starrsville has stated, by informing my potential employer late in the invertiew process that I have something planned and would it be a problem, it was never a problem.

It is critical to tell them upfront before the position is offered.

Old Jul 16th, 2006, 04:38 PM

To elaborate even further, I had very tenative plans to visit France two years ago. It became apparant that things were going to shift with my current employer. I stayed up late one night and booked the trip - the flights and most of the hotel reservations. Sure enough, two months later I was interviewing with a new employer. I told both companies I was interviewing with that I had a trip planned and for which dates. Both companies offered me the position and neither blinked at the time off.

Of course, I have a long work record in the industry and strong reputation.

It would depend on your personal situation. If you are relatively young - not in age, but in experience and qualifications, then I agree with HTTY. Postpone the trip and wait until you earn the vacation days. Don't lose the job because of a 3 day trip - especially the one you've been describing on this board recently.
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 04:43 PM
GoTravel

Agree don't jeopardize a potential career move over that mess you have with your friend who may or may not back out on the trip to New York.

NYC isn't going anywhere.

Old Jul 16th, 2006, 04:57 PM

This should not be an ssue at all - you're only talking a few days - not months. We have several times hired someone who had a fixed vacation already in the works (including a 2-week family cruise) - assuming the candidate is the right one a small adjustment won;t be a problem.

(If an employer would turn you down based on this you probbly don;t want to be workng there.)
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

Well, the trip to NYC has been on the burner for a bit, my friend wanting to come along was something more recent, but in any case, she won't be coming afterall...so it is back to the original solo trip I had planned.

I will just have to wait and see how the job situation looks. Of course, if push comes to shove, and a great employer says no, I just have to wait until I accrue vacation time. But, then again, I may not have to worry about that afterall.

Thanks everyone for all of your help and advice.
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 05:22 PM

GoTravel, I was worried about the possible fate of NYC. Thanks for your reassurance. HTTY
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 07:25 PM

iltt29, please come to NYC!! As other posters have said, it should not be an issue with a potential employer as long as the interviewing gets to the point where they're serious about hiring you. And it's only 3 days!

My personal experience is that it's *never* been a problem as long as you're upfront about it before your start date. I spent the first years of my "adult" life moving from one job to the next without ever accruing vacation time. Finally, I couldn't take it any more, and when offered an (entry-level) job and asked when I could start, I said I had a 2-week vacation with nonrefundable tickets (even though I didn't!!). I had to take the days unpaid since I of course hadn't accrued vacation time yet, but they were fine about me going - and I happily worked for that company for 3 years. That was a big lesson for me, and ever since I have not let a job stand in the way of a vacation - or vice versa.

Just be straightforward and sincere and you'll be fine. And if not, don't stay in that job for very long b/c they're not a nice place to work!
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 05:01 AM
GoTravel

Glad I could help HTTY!