Reload this Page >

Portland restaurant help

Search

Portland restaurant help

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 08:04 AM
Henly Gold

Portland restaurant help

I will be going to Portland for business and need restaurant reservations for entertaining very important clients at. Fine dining preferred! What are the great restaurants not to be missed?

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 08:15 AM
unsure

Maine or Oregon?

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 05:16 AM
Henly Gold

Oregon.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 07:01 AM
jjj

Couvon - French,small, very expensive, fixed menu.
Genoa - Italian, 7 course, small intimate setting, but not super convienent location
Heathman Hotel - NW chic, downtown
El Goucho - expensive steak house, downtown
Jakes - Seafood, one of Portland's oldest and well known restaurants, downtown

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 07:49 AM
Henly Gold

Thank you! I sam opting between Higgins, Heathman and Jake's. The decision is tough. Any more help is appreciated.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 08:27 AM
julie

You can't go wrong with any of those, but of the three, I'd go with Higgins.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 08:39 AM
xxx

I've had two very disappointing experiences with Jake's. On the first, the service was slow AND rude (great combination!) and my fish was drowning in butter. On the second, the fish was fine, but the veggies were overcooked and cold (another great combination) and the service was lackluster. We were living in Portland at the time and considered Jake's a tourist/expense account trap but were talked into going there by some out of town visitors who had heard great things. Both experienced confirmed our original viewpoints. One restaurant we loved going to is Murata, one of the finest Japanese restaurants around. Higgins would be a much better choice.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 10:02 AM
Wendy

I had the exact opposite experience at Jakes that xxx had. While at Jakes 2 months ago we had amazing service even though the restaurant was packed. The owner came over to discuss our wine selection which turned into a great education in Oregon Pinot Noirs. After dinner we needed a cab and they called one and told us just to relax at our table and they would come get us. While we waited the owner brought over a bottle of wine and opened it for us to taste. When the cab came he put the bottle in a bag and told us to go enjoy the rest of the evening- wine was on him! Amazing.

Our food was perfect as well. I will defintatley recommend Jakes as well as return myself.

But it does get a bit loud and I don't consider it FINE dining as much as fine FOOD.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 10:19 AM
x

Here are some others besides the often mentioned Jakes.

McCormick and Schmicks
L'Auberge
Wilfs
Prime Rib Restaurant
Ruth's Chris

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 10:48 AM
marciaw

I don't particularly like Jake's either. We haven't been there since 1999, but it felt like a 1980s throwback--a loud, show-off, pick-up joint--plus tourists. A lot of transplanted yuppies throwing money around.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 10:54 AM
x

What's the restuarant that is down steps from the street? Seems like maybe there was an office building above it. I remeber lots of glss. We went there years ago and I can't remember what the name is. It was very good. I know my description is really lame.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 11:19 AM
Henly Gold

I am now leaning towards Higgins. If anyone thinks this is not the best decision (this is pretty important dinner) let me know ASAP.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 12:52 PM
lisa

You can't go wrong wtih Higgins.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 12:59 PM
x

I've had really good experiences at Jake's. The service was wonderful and the meals were delicious. It was quite the hit with other business partners that I've traveled with to Portland.

The Gaucho Grill also is great.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 03:24 PM
carla

consider Bluehour, it's very good.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 08:13 PM
Oregonian

If you like Asian, try Dragonfly in downtown Portland, has all aspects of asian food, sushi to Vietnamese, as well as steaks and a full bar. Very nice.

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 08:32 AM
Jane

Last time we visited Portland, we went to the restaurant at The Heathman and absolutely loved it. It is definitely appropriate for a business dinner. It was busy, but not loud. The food was great and service was impeccable. My brother who travels out there quite a bit for his job as a patent lawyer loves the place for business dinners.

We also tried Bluehour which was sort of a trendy, hip place to eat. Lots of glass and steel (as I recall) and everybody dressed in black. The food was not up to par in my opinion, however.

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 02:54 PM
Jim

We go to Portland often and we've eaten at all the places already mentioned. Our favorite is The Heathman. The food is superb, the service is very professional, and the seating is comfortable. Higgins is nearby. I find the tables there cramped, the place noisy, and the service somewhat hysterical. You will be very comfortable at The Heathman whereas you may fell like you're intruding on a "club" at Higgins.

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 03:02 PM
meateater

Nah, go to the Ringside and get a great big chunk of steer. You may see your grandfather across the room, provided you remember to bring a flashlight.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 04:12 PM
Lena

This does not fall under the class of "great" restaurant like the London Grill or somewhere, but if you like good Thai food, try the Thai Peacock.