Portland OR in late March?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16th, 2007, 02:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are unfortunately not flexible on vacation week, due to mandatory work vacation. Is it crazy to consider going then? We just want to check out the city. No agenda.
Old Dec 16th, 2007, 04:18 AM

Rain. Chilly. Raw.
But there could be an unexpected outbreak of sunshine..you never really know. Just figure rain.

It is an easy city to get around, with taxis and the Streetcar doing a loop through town, get off wherever looks appealing, hop back on later..

Really good restaurants, beautiful parks, scenery, nice buildings and very nice people and pretty nice shopping ( no tax)..

I Portland ..
Old Dec 16th, 2007, 08:21 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
As long as you realize the weather will likely be raining and cold. Portland is a great city to visit. Especially with 'no agenda' seems like March would be a fine time to just come out and kick around.
Old Dec 16th, 2007, 08:31 AM

I agree with scarlett and suze. That week is our spring break here. Downtown usually isn't an issue, but if you decide to stay a night or two at the coast, then I would definitely make a reservation now for that.
Old Dec 29th, 2007, 09:03 AM

Agree with the rain (although I do recall a few nice spring breaks as a child), but I don't know if I'd say chilly. Highs should be around 60 that time of year.
My husband's first visit to Portland was in March, it was grey and rainy the entire time. But for some reason he was sold on the city and move here that summer.
Would be worth the trip.
Old Dec 29th, 2007, 10:33 AM

60 in March?

We stayed in a place in the fall that had fireplaces in the rooms so we were happy when the fog rolled in and it got all damp and chilly .. the hotel is surrounded by lavender bushes and flowers and I felt like I was in Cornwall (England)...
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 07:33 PM

It'll be the beginning of spring, so there is a chance of nice weather : ) Be prepared for rain, clouds, etc. It's a beautiful big little city, lots to do on a whim! If you like gardens, outdoors, the Japanese Garden and Chinese garden may just beginning with spring blooms...either way they're both beautiful places to explore.
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 10:58 PM

I really like Portland and have lived in the area most my life. I agree it will probably be somewhat rainy but you do have the chance of a nice day or two of sun. One nice thing about Portland is that if you stay in Downtown you can walk to many locations. If you are into music, check out a concert at the Crystal Ballroom. I just saw the Decemberists there and it was probably the best concert I have been too.
Old Feb 9th, 2008, 01:38 PM

We just returned from two nights in Portland.

It was our good luck that it was sunny the morning of February 7 and it didn't rain much in the afternoon. We had loads of fun exploring the city.

www.mapclicks.com publishes neighborhood maps that we picked up at our hotel.

Dinner at Paley's was excellent and lunch at Fenouil, in the Pearl District, was a snazzy experience.
Old Feb 9th, 2008, 05:50 PM

You'll be fine visiting in late March. Just plan on some rain from time to time. The roses won't be in bloom yet, but there will be plenty to keep you busy.

There are many things to do and see in this artistically rich city. The traveloregon site has many good links to assist your planning in the Portland metro and surrounding area.
http://www.traveloregon.com/Explore%...d%20Metro.aspx

Also check the trimet site for ease in getting around, including MAX light rail from the airport.