Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Polynesian Cultural Center, Oahu - skip the Luau?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2006, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Polynesian Cultural Center's website looks very interesting.

Would it be ridiculous to visit the Center, see Horizons show, but to skip the Luau. Perhaps eat at their other "restaurant" or take something with us from the hotel. We will be staying at the Turtle Bay for 3 nights (maybe I'll cut it down to 2 nights) before we head over to Waikiki for the conference.

The Luau lasts for just over an hour, according to the website.

Thank you.

Olga
Old May 31st, 2006, 06:03 PM

Just "my humble opinion" but I could have skipped most of the Polynesian Cultural Center shows. You may want to rethink all that expense.

Go to a real luau!!
Old May 31st, 2006, 06:27 PM

The best thing they have is the Horizons show. Their weakest link is the luau, but I'm not really complaining. Yes, you may want to skip the luau.
Old May 31st, 2006, 06:46 PM

Just enter PCC or the words Polynesian Cultural Center into the search box on the main screen and you will get hours of reading from prior posters... I agree with Greatsights and have posted several times on what I consider one of the biggest money ripoffs in all of my travels... they charge Disney prices for an island experience you can often find for free...
Old May 31st, 2006, 06:52 PM
bonniebroad

The best thing at PCC is the Horizons Show ... it is fabulous!!! Unless you have small children, I would forget about the rest of the place... spend your time out and about in the real Hawaii!

Old May 31st, 2006, 07:05 PM

Polynesian Cultural Center (PCC):

PCC is the best value for Polynesian entertainment in Hawaii. For as little as $50 you can have an entire day of entertainment. $50 is less than any other luau in Hawaii.

www.polynesia.com General Admission $50 or the Ali'i Luau buffet package ($80). They also have an optional buffet (no entertainment) for $15.

The evening 'Horizons' show (7:30pm) is the best Polynesian show in all of Hawaii. It comes with all ticket price options. The higher priced ticket packages get the better seating for 'Horizons'. Also the earlier you get there, the better the seating is for 'Horizons'.

The Ali'i Luau Show (5pm) that is part of the luau package is an average Polynesian show. The food is also average. The luau package also includes a lei greeting and upgraded seats to 'Horizons'.

IMAX, Canoe Pageant, Samoa and Tonga villages and Canoe ride are the best other attractions (these are included with any type ticket). Plan on this as an all day event. Get there by 1pm (earlier if possible), leave around 9:30pm.

When I take visitors, I try to keep on this schedule: IMAX 1:30, Canoe Pageant 2:30, Samoa 3:00, Tonga 4:00, Canoe Ride around 4:30, regular buffet or Ali'i luau buffet 5pm and 'Horizons' at 7:30.

The other villages are nice also, but there is not enough time for all of them. You will have time to do some shopping or looking around between the buffet or luau and 'Horizons'. Closed on Sundays. You can go back for free for two days. Check with PCC employees for instructions before leaving the Center if you want the extra days.

The food at the optional $15 buffet is better than the Ali'i Luau.

Coupon in Entertainment Book to save $36.
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 03:34 PM

That's what we did and it worked out just great. By the way, our PCC coupon from the entertainment book paid for the whole book by itself.