Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Hotel rooms in NYC for 60 bucks in early december?

Old May 30th, 2006, 07:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, so I lucked out and on my foreign travels all my hotels averaged about 60 US dollars....even in London!

So my question now is, can one find a hotel room with en ensuite bathroom near the subway in NYC in early december?

I am starting to feel the desire to visit NYC next. And I am hoping I will be able to do so in December.
Old May 30th, 2006, 07:57 PM

Well I wish you luck...
60.00 is going to be tough.
Please let us know if you secure a hotel that is not an absolute nightmare!
Old May 30th, 2006, 08:12 PM

i think someone on here recommended WooGo.com. check them out.

Old May 30th, 2006, 08:12 PM

hehehe sorry i'm terrible! couldn't help myself.

good luck, really!
Old May 30th, 2006, 08:26 PM

There have been reports of 2* and 2.5* hotels on Priceline. Maybe that's a possibility?
Old May 30th, 2006, 09:11 PM

Try Jersey City via Priceline. $60 might be tough, but it looks like the 2.5 - 3 stars in Jersey City may be obtainable if you can up your budget just a bit.

I stayed at the Hyatt Jersey City two weeks ago - clean, comfy, generous sized rooms (especially compared to NYC) and a very short walk to the Path (underground train that has you in midtown Manhattan in under a half hour for all of $1.50)

Good luck and let us know how it goes
Old May 30th, 2006, 09:20 PM
Original Poster

I saw some good prices on hotels in jersey, but i figured that would be a long haul from new jersey to nyc. not like just jumping on the underground, right?
Old May 30th, 2006, 09:52 PM

LOL, it depends on where in NJ those hotels are. Jersey City is right across from Manhattan.

The Path trains run regularly and take you right into Manhattan either to mid town or to the finacial district.

See http://www.panynj.gov/CommutingTrave.../html/map.html for Path map and details.

To give you a feel for it the Path from Exchange place (Hyatt Jersey City is at Exchange Place) to 33rd Street takes approx 20-35 minutes (depending on time of day, day of week and connection time between trains) total including the time to change trains. You can even use your metro card (NY subway card) on the Path. So yes, staying in Jersey City means you can just hop on the underground and easily get to Manhattan.

But NJ is a big state and there will be lots of hotels that are much further from NYC so be sure to look at a map
Old May 30th, 2006, 10:05 PM

The path trains do NOT run all night, I think the last train out of Manhattan is around midnight, so if you do stay in NJ, double check the train schedules. The subways in Manhattan run 24/7.

I agree the only chance you will have of getting a hotel that cheap will be on priceline and I would DOUBT you will find a price anywhere near that in early December, but good luck and let us know what you find.
Old May 30th, 2006, 10:14 PM
Original Poster

Ok, how does hotel for five nights and airfare for under 1000 sound for NYC in early december (before december 12th)?

I don't need anything fancy...just clean, my own bathroom, and access to subways.
Old May 30th, 2006, 10:24 PM

Sorry but I think people are recommending against the WooGo hotels ( you might double check this to be sure.)

I pulled out my most recent guidebook and found the Larchmont Hotel would come close to your price (but has shared bathrooms), the Chelsea Lodge, the Americana Inn and the Bed and Breakfast Mont Morris might be worth checking. I haven't stayed at any of these, so can't really recommend them myself.

Good luck!
Old May 30th, 2006, 10:26 PM

You don't say where you a flying from so it is hard to know how much you'll need for airfare.
Old May 30th, 2006, 10:27 PM

ARghh,

That is supposed to be where you "are" flying from!
Old May 30th, 2006, 10:28 PM
Original Poster

Sorry, I will be flying from SFO or OAK or even SJO if necessary.
Old May 31st, 2006, 02:05 AM

I've stayed in Jersey City, too: It IS on the "underground". The above estimate of a half-hour to get into Manhattan is an overestimate, IMHO; it's just a couple of stops up the line. The PATH trains (i.e., subway) go as far north as Penn Station/34th street and make several other useful stops (World Trade Center, Greenwich Village, etc.). Although I"m usually an advocate of staying in the city one is visiting, if you're on a bydget Jersey City is a fine alterhative.

Another possibility is the hotels in Secaucus, near the Meadowlands, which are served by an express bus to midtown, IIRC. Check out this link and the related info on transportation:

http://www.secaucus.org/hotels.html

Early December is one of the busiest times for NYC's hotels; so you might not be the only person who is staying on the outer edges.
Old May 31st, 2006, 03:55 AM

Since you specifically mentioned a room with private bathroom near a subway station, I would say it would very difficult, if not impossible to find what you are looking for in the city. Also remember, that you're actually talking about a rate of slightly over $50 before taxes.
Old May 31st, 2006, 05:48 AM
GoTravel

Forget it.

Early December is the busiest time of year in NYC and hotels will sell out not only in Manhattan but at JFK, EWR, LGA area hotels, and in New Jersey. Jersey City hotels will be close to $200.

The average daily rate for a hotel in Manhattan in 2005 was over $240.

Priceline will not have any inventory until a couple of days before if that.

I highly suggest you wait and go to NYC in early January, the week after New Years.

Old May 31st, 2006, 05:54 AM

Early Dec. is probably the most expensive time of the year. Without a special hotel deal (either Priceline or some featured special on travelzoo) or staying outside Manhattan, you will have a problem. The idea of Jersey City is a good one (if you don't mind) and people have gotten great deals on either the Hyatt Regency Jersey City or the Doubletree Suites Jersey City on Priceline (bid 3* Jersey City and those are the options--both right near the PATH train). The unfortunate issue is best airfares seem to be into JFK not EWR so you'd be flying into Queens yet staying in NJ, not so convenient (but not horrible either if you want to do this).

There's also the option of staying in Queens. This could give you the clean room with private bath and near subway, but it ain't Manhattan. The Pan American can usually be had for under $150. It's near the subway.
http://www.panamhotel.com/spec.html

Old May 31st, 2006, 06:00 AM

The Path trains from NJ do indeed run all night long. However, they run much more infrequently, only about every 30 minutes after midnight until early morning.
Old May 31st, 2006, 06:04 AM

Not gonna happen in NYC! Try a hostle.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information