Poipu too crowded?

Mar 21st, 2007, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

Poipu too crowded?

Hi,
We have an opportunity to go the Kauai at the end of April. We haven't been in fifteen years and loved the Poipu area then. We don't like a lot of crowds (my husband dislikes Disneyland) and wonder if we would still like staying at Poipu. We also like to stay at small B&B type places and have found one near Poipu. Our other options right now at staying in a cottage about 5 minutes from the ocean near Wailua or staying in a B & B near Kilauea. Our back up plan is a The Marriot Beach Club and Resort in Lihue. We are in our late forties, active, and live on the ocean in Northern California. We are leaving the kids home this time. We love the warm water, beauty and warm breezes in Hawaii. Any suggestions on what area to stay in from my list?
Thanks!
P.S. I mistakenly posted this on the United States board instead of Hawaii so here it is, again.
Mar 21st, 2007, 02:27 PM

I don't think any stretch of the imagination could call Poipu "crowded."
Mar 23rd, 2007, 08:59 AM
Ag3046

I really didn't care for Poipu. I thought the beach was small and crowded. Give me the north coast beaches any day.

Mar 23rd, 2007, 05:02 PM

Ag3046:

Po`ipu "small and crowded"?? Makes me think you were actually just at one of the small coves that dot the south shore, as opposed to Po`ipu Beach itself.

FamilyTravlin:
Because I live on the north shore, I of course think it's sublime. But given your list of preferences, I'd steer you to that small B&B in Po`ipu over all the other places you've mentioned. If you don't like crowds, you won't like the Marriott Beach Resort.

Definitely plan a day to visit the north end of our island...Kilauea Lighthouse, Hanalei Bay, Makua and Ke`e, with a shopping/dining stop in Hanalei Town for sure!
Mar 24th, 2007, 03:10 PM

We came back from a 3-week trip to Hawaii last month and we enjoyed Kiahuna Plantation at Poipu Beach. It was a nice condo with an ocean view and kitchen, so we saved a ton on meals. It's also across the road from a strip mall where Roy's and other restaurants can be found.
Mar 24th, 2007, 03:24 PM

End of April is after spring breaks. I don't think it will be too crowded.
Mar 25th, 2007, 12:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. We are staying at the little bungalow in Poipu for 5 nights and then we are staying at a small B & B near Tunnels beach on the North Shore. We decided to skip the Marriot. I am happy with our decisions and I will promise to give a trip report whne I return!
Mar 25th, 2007, 07:56 AM

Sounds like a nice trip Family Travelin. What is the name of B&B that you stayin at on the North Shore?

Bill
Mar 25th, 2007, 04:20 PM

Excellent decision to split your time between the north and the south. There are parts of Poipu that are crowded (the beach park itself from the late morning till mid-afternoon and the shopping center from just past sunset until the Roy's crowd starts clearing out). But we aren't talking about serious resort crowds like in South Beach or Cancun. And Tunnels . . . . you'll never want to go home.
Mar 25th, 2007, 06:27 PM
Original Poster

Hale Ho`o Maha Bed & Breakfast
www.aloha.net/~hoomaha/
I did a lot of research and this seems like a good choice. It is a island couple who have been in the B & B business for over 30 years. It is a new home with 4 suites and their reviews were overall very good. The location is excellent and the price for our suite was $150 a night. A five minute walk to the beach and then a farther walk north to get to Tunnels beach.

Search this Thread