Poconos

Feb 22nd, 2005, 12:45 AM
Original Poster

Poconos

Hi, a bunch of friends and I are planning a trip to the Poconos. It would be at least 10 of us or so.I have no clue where to start, as I am in charge of setting things up. Where should I look for housing? Any suggestions? Also, white water rafting. I saw a company that has class 3+ rapids on Lehigh River. Any reputable companies? Also, we're in our late teens, early 20s, anything of interest, such as paintballing, horseback riding, pools? Sorry for vague questions, but just to give you an idea of what I'm looking for...Thanks...
Feb 22nd, 2005, 05:24 AM

When we went up one fall, we rented a Chalet. That would accommodate all of you, but many rentals have maximum occupancy requirements, so you'd have to make sure 10 isn't too many.

I'm not sure when you're going up, but I am under the impression that the white water rafting only has Class III rapids in the spring, when run-off is high. Things won't be so wild in summer, when the water is lower.

If you're going in the summer, I've heard the water park Camelbeach is fun.
Feb 22nd, 2005, 06:21 AM

i think the co. i used to use was white water challengers. local. if you don't run the river in spring, (and you will likely need wet suits for that) you need to find out when there are dam release days, the outfitters will know. in the summer you'll get the temps and the water flow to make it fun, these days can fill up fast. have you thought about west virginia and the chete(sp?) also the new river, also wv? not so far a drive..... anyone out there, can you confirm the wv rivers? i may have it wrong about the new.
Feb 23rd, 2005, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Karens, the Chalet you stayed at, was it the Deer Meadow Inn Chalet? I was looking up the word Chalet and that is the only one I could find. Also justme22, I was thinking about White Water Challengers too, because they would be chaper, as we are all college students, and they offer GREAT rates for college students. How were they, did they have the guide on the raft also? I went on a white water rafting trip in Lake George, and it was phenomenal, I'm just hoping this trip could be great too.
Feb 23rd, 2005, 03:29 PM

No, we rented a chalet which was located in a development called Towamensing Trails. It was a nice enough chalet, with lots of room, but the development was too "suburban" for me. I don't remember how we made arrangements - somewhere on-line; we went through a realtor to pay and get the keys.

Justme - I believe the New and the Gauley Rivers are really good places I've heard to white water in WVA, but they are quite a hike from the Poconos.
Feb 24th, 2005, 06:05 AM

popny85 -

Check out this website for the Pocono Mountains Vacation Bureau -

www.800poconos.com

Here's a couple of websites for whitewater rafting in the Poconos -

www.poconowhitewater.com
www.whitewaterchallengers.com
www.adventurerafting.com
www.lehighrafting.com
www.kittatinny.com

Enjoy your visit to the Poconos. Peace. >-

Robyn
Feb 24th, 2005, 04:55 PM
MIG

There is great mountain biking around Jim Thorpe, PA. Some trails are extremely challenging, others are fairly easy but with incredible views and scenery.
Feb 25th, 2005, 06:34 AM

I agree with MIG's mountain biking suggestion. We brought our bikes once but took a shuttle to the start of a rail trail that was 20 some miles back to Jim Thorpe. It was a slightly downhill grade the whole way. We went in the fall and it was a beautiful. Nearby is "real" mountain biking as well.
Apr 22nd, 2005, 09:37 AM

Karens - would love info on the bike/shuttle trip.

Stealing the thread.. anyone have a favorite Pocono's map (that there is a weblink for)?

I'm in the VERY beginning stages of planning a camping trip for July and not sure of what area we want to be in. I've been to Promise Land SP before, but no where else. Thinking of perhaps doing a day trip to Philly, and love the mountains overall.
Apr 22nd, 2005, 09:55 AM
sam

I had planned a trip to Hershey via Jim Thorpe as my son loves the paintball thing and I thought it would be cool to do the float on Lehigh. I found (as above mentioned) www.poconowhitewater.com. They own both paintball and rafting adventure companies. For paintball it's www.skirmish.com. There are also links to campgrounds and hotel/motels.
Camelbeach was going to be another one of our stops and I heard great reviews. The hotel at Camelback Mountain is www.chateauresort.com.
Apr 22nd, 2005, 12:28 PM
MIG

Travelphile,

I found a brochure I picked up regarding the bike shuttle, check out poconobiking.com. They will pick you up in Jim Thorpe and drop you off along the Lehigh River there is a 3-5 hour ride or 2-4 hour one. You can do the same along the Switchback Trail.
Apr 23rd, 2005, 03:26 PM

Thanks MIG... Poconos are three hours from us, Adirondaks are 4, hubby and I are battling to see which we explore for our July vacation this year