Search

White Water Rafting in CO--What to expect

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
White Water Rafting in CO--What to expect

Hi everyone:

I came over here from the Europe board to ask a question about white water rafting. I'm leaving tomorrow to go to Keystone, CO with some friends for a week. During this time, we plan to go white water rafting.

My question is: What can I expect? In all my trips to CO (one of my favorite places in the world), we've never done this. We've hiked, ridden horses, skiied, etc., etc. but never this. Although I'm very excited, I am also somewhat anxious and think I would feel better if I had a better idea of what to expect. I mean, I imagine the water must be cold, right? Can I expect to fall out of the boat at least once? Is it difficult, physically (I'm 30 and in average shape)? Stuff like that. Any details at all would be appreciated.

Oh, yeah . . . the trip we're taking says that the rapids are mostly class III with some class IV.

Thanks in advance,
Jennie
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 11:44 AM

We did it about this time of year several years ago. It easier than you think. We had a lot of fun and had some really good rapids but no one fell out and yes the water is cold.
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 12:07 PM

Hi -- you will have such fun!! You sound like you are physically active, so this will be no problem. Are you on a rafting trip where you paddle, or does the guide row while you hang on? Obviously the first is more tiring, but not bad at all. I've rafted several times in CO and NM and loved it!! Yes, the water will be cold, but most companies have wetsuits that you can wear if you are concerned about this. I probably would wear a wetsuit this early in June. By the way, you probably won't fall out of the raft, but you almost certainly will get splashed a lot. Have a great time!!
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks SuzieQ and mona!

mona, I'm not positive, but I believe we will all be paddling on this trip. I am pretty active, so I'm not super concerned about that (the minimum age allowed on this trek is 12 and I figure I'm at least as strong as a 12-year-old! ha-ha!). I guess my anxiety has more to do with a fear of the unknown . . .of course, that's part of the excitement as well! I did see that the weather in Keystone is only supposed to be in the low 50s on the day we're supposed to raft, so I am planning to rent a wetsuit. Hopefully that will help!

Thanks again, you've both helped quash my anxiety a great deal!

Jennie
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 01:10 PM

Jennie, you'll have a blast. Right now, the snow melt is at peak, so most of the runs will be closer to class IV. It is actually better that the water is high...far less dangerous than if it is low. Also, I've gone 3 times in Colorado, even through the Royal Gorge which was class V and I've never dumped. Usually if you dump, you are very close to the boat and they can haul you back in pretty quickly. It also helps to have strong paddlers in your raft because they can control the raft better and avoid situations of being dumped. Class 3 is pretty calm, white water, but no waves. Class 4 has some waves and is a blast. Try to sit in the front of the raft for the best ride...it's a blast.
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

Scott:

Thanks so much for the information! I'm leaving in a couple of hours and I'm so excited! Of course, I love CO so much that I'm excited before every trip (we go twice a year--once in the winter and once in the summer)!

Thanks again everyone,
Jennie