Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Please help with SFO/Oakland logistics - I'm feeling overwhelmed!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2006, 05:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Need some help sorting this out. We'll dock in SanFrancisco from an Alaska cruise on Friday morning (7/28). Have booked a flight out on Southwest (Oakland) Saturday afternoon.

Here's the problem: Spouse can't really help with hauling considerable luggage, so taking BART (at any point) to Oakland doesn't seem feasible (and even getting to whatever SF hotel would def mean a taxi).

I'm leaning towards solving the luggage issue right off and getting ourselves to an Oakland Airport hotel--(how? how long a trip? how much? is there shuttle service from SF to Oakland?)--and then, sans luggage, take BART (or ferry?) back into SF for some sight-seeing/dining/etc. (Could get the Holiday Inn Oakland Airport for minimal points for one night).

Does this sound like it makes sense?
Feeling a little overwhelmed by the logistics and choices and would just like to hear the pros/cons of staying the one night in Oakland v. San Francisco. Thanks!

Old Jun 26th, 2006, 06:31 AM

Taxi from downtown SF to OAK will be about $35.

If that is not too much money just do that, stay in SF and enjoy the city.

Shuttles are less $$ but more hassle.

If it was my $ I would not stay at the OAK hotel. What are you going to do in the morning? At least in SF you can go out and have breakfast, smell the bay, etc. In Oakland you will smell the...well something.
Old Jun 26th, 2006, 07:13 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I have stayed in many hotels near OAK when I used to have to visit our branch office near the airport. But I wouldn't stay there unless necessary for business. Since your flight isn't until Sat afternoon - stay in SF and take a cab to OAK. Or possibly at jack London Square in Oakland. But SF would be my 1st choice.

(If your flight was early in the a.m. my advice would be different)
Old Jun 26th, 2006, 07:15 AM

Not sure what pier your cruise docks at but there is a ferry from the San Francisco Ferry building and Fisherman's Wharf to Alameda and Oakland (Jack London Square).

http://www.eastbayferry.com

Regarding the Oakland "smell", Jack London Square is upscale and very nice. I suspect this poster is not a local or hasn't traveled around the Bay Area lately. Rockridge, Montclair, Lake Merritt, and Jack London Square are all very nice areas. Areas around the Oakland Airport are not very nice though.
Old Jun 26th, 2006, 07:21 AM

I've lived in the Bay Area for 32 years. The poster said they would stay at the Oakland Airport Holiday Inn. Have you been there? It is not a good location for anything and yes it does smell just like most of the areas right around the airport.

Jack London is a different story.
Old Jun 26th, 2006, 07:25 AM

With the luggages issues that you are rightfully tryoing to minimize, I agree with most responders that you should stay in a San Francisco hotel and just cab it to OAK on the day of your flight. FYI, you can try and use your points at the Holiday Inn (Bay or Ocean St.) at Fishermans Wharf and which is less than a 10 minute cab ride from your docking station at Embarcadero.

BTW, taking the ferry from the ferry building to Jack London Square will be too much of a hassle with the luggages.
Old Jun 26th, 2006, 08:12 AM

The Holiday Inn at the Oakland Airport gets much better reviews than the Holiday Inn on Columbus Avenue. The Holiday Inn Express on North Point gets decent reviews.
If it has to be a Holiday Inn for points, I'd go for the one of North Point or the Oakland Airport (which is too far from a BART station to walk).
Old Jun 26th, 2006, 09:39 AM

Transportation: no matter what, you need a cab from SF to oakland whether on Friday or Saturday-it still costs the same. The difference is do you want a cab from the dock to a SF hotel ($15-20) OR a free shuttle from an oakland hotel to the airport plus $11 round trip for 2 on BART (15 minutes plus waiting for train, buying tix, etc). WOW, you could save $5 (almost pays for the cruise).

City: San Francisco is the nicest city in the country, and you want to stay in oakland??? saps doesn't quite have it right. If oakland smelled like a rose it would still stink!

Do you really want to end a wonderful cruise by staying in oakland? [yes, Jack London Square is very nice].

Have a wonderful time in San Francisco. Hint: bring some food on the plane, SWA is not noted for serving meals like a cruise ship!
Old Jun 26th, 2006, 12:41 PM

You can take a taxi to a San Francisco hotel, and when it's time to go to the Oakland airport, call a shuttle - you'll find discount coupons in the tourist booklets in the hotel's lobby.
Old Jun 26th, 2006, 02:32 PM

Tampatramp:

Them's fightin' words about my Oaktown! When you're ready for some real flavor in your life, come spend some time in Oakland! (Not that I'm recommending this for tourists like the OP), but for locals, there's alot of cool stuff here!

AZWildcat
Old Jun 26th, 2006, 03:50 PM

AZ, and the nice people living in Oakland, like yourself, don't be shy to mention it! (actually I meant my son who lives in Oakland )
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

OK, I'm convinced. And yes, sometimes I do go to what turn out to be ridiculous lenghths to save a few bucks. Til a thump upside the head (thanks TampaTramp!) sets me right. I bombed on P'line yesterday for a SF hotel (mainly cuz I misread some BFT successes and underbid), so will give it a go in another few hours. (I also misread my points balance and couldn't get a free room anyway!)

Great idea Faina about the coupons. I remember that worked well for us in NYC a while back!
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 08:26 AM

Check out this company, it's my favorite!

http://www.bayshuttle.com/

and click on "hotel guests only special" button on the right, see if your hotel is there, it's only $23 first person and $10 2nd to OAK

Also check discounts on the left lower side additional coupons to OAK (below the left-side buttons)
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 12:31 PM

I'd check to see if Hotel Vitale is near your dock to arrive with leisure, check in and relax, explore and dine, then shuttle to the OAK.
May I add, I'm an elder woman traveling often alone and have enjoyed many stays in the Oakland Airport Hilton not to worry about any traffic problems as it is by the airport entrance, no freeway traffic required. I have felt safe staying there alone, dining has been fine right there. I never go wondering around after dark and pay attention always but do feel perfectly safe inside. Just my opinion.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 12:34 PM

Ps. I also often ship my luggage to save myself from hauling luggage. Just one carry on for overnight and the rest meets me at my next stop. So much easier!
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 01:31 PM

AZWildcat:

I'm happy you like living in Oakland, and don't wish to fight about it, But: I love San Francisco (and lived on the peninsula and Berkeley; and one day will move back to the city) and have been in Oakland many times. I have not found the "flavor" or the "cool stuff". For some reason Oakland just doesn't come up on anyone's top 20 cities in the country- I always thought I knew why. Can you prove me wrong?

Our next 2 trips to San Francisco are August and January, perhaps you can suggest a place or two to visit in Oakland at that time (we will have a car).
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 02:13 PM

One place I can suggest in Oakland is the Oakland museum. They have permanent and rotating exhibit on 3 floors, nice landscaped outdoor park with a koi pond - if you want to bring a picnic.

Also a walk around Lake Merritt is nice, my father said there is a boat ride.

In winter (approximately October-May) once a month on weekends Paramount hosts Traveler's Club movies, also other events, check their website.
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 03:10 AM
Original Poster

Just a follow-up: Bay Shuttle was a great idea, Faina! Used the coupon on the website and made the trip from Hilton (near Union Square) for about $33. They showed up on-time too.
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 03:29 PM

Glad to help! I always use Bay Shuttle, and now my children do so too.

Did they ask you several times if you go to SFO or to OAK to make sure you are on the right shuttle I think they took somebody to the wrong airport before.