Please help with 3 with Pacific Northwest Itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2017, 07:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a 3 week (approx.) trip to the Pacific NW region and I could use some help from the experts with our itinerary. We are active travelers in our 60's and we enjoy scenery and hiking as well as exploring interesting urban areas. We prefer to stay a minimum of 2 nights in locations so we are not packing up and moving on every morning. With that in mind, here is my preliminary schedule for our trip. I am open to cutting a couple of days to get it to 21 but I'm not sure what to eliminate or shorten.
Days 1-3 fly into Seattle and explore the city without a car.
Days 4-5 walk on ferry to the San Juans, stay on SJI and explore without a car. Is it reasonable to just stay on one island without going to other islands?
Days 6-7 walk on ferry to Victoria and explore the city without a car.
Days 8-11 walk on ferry to Port Angeles and rent a car in PA. Then spend a total of 4 nights in Olympic National Park (2 nights in Port Angeles, 1 night in Forks and 1 night in Quinault.)
Day 12 head south exploring along Washington Coast and overnight on Long Beach Peninsula.
Day 13 head south exploring along Oregon Coast and spend night in Roseberg en route to Crater Lake
Days 14-15 Crater Lake for 2 nights.
Days 16-17 drive North to Mt. Hood area and Columbia River Gorge
Days 18-20 Portland, Or
Days 21-22 drive North and stop at Mt. St. Helens and stay at Mt Rainier for 2 nights
Day 23 Seattle airport hotel before flying home.
Old Jan 7th, 2017, 07:59 PM
Original Poster

Darn it! Make that a 3 WEEK trip to the Pacific Northwest!!
Old Jan 7th, 2017, 08:05 PM

It makes sense to choose just one island - and San Juan is the only one you could do without a car. How are you getting to Anacortes where you catch the ferry? It is a two hour drive from Seattle.
Old Jan 7th, 2017, 08:23 PM

When are you planning trip?
Only because I love the Oregon cost...i noticed Day 12 & 13 ..
From Astoria OR. down coast to where you go inland to Roseberg.. "deserves" little more time ..Several areas to spend a night near or on the beach...
also this route, while "good" road is mostly 2 lane ..travel time is usually more than one plans..
Sounds like a wonderful trip..
Old Jan 8th, 2017, 05:04 AM
Original Poster

Kathie, we will catch the Clipper Vacations ferry to SJI in Seattle (walk on). Then from SJI we will take the WSDOT ferry to Sidney, BC and take a bus down to Victoria. Then in Victoria we will walk on the Blackball ferry to Port Angeles. So we are not going thru Anacortes at all. I did a fair amount of research on the ferry routes and think this 3 way route is possible. Or not? Let me know if I missed something! Thank you!
Traveler24 we are going in September. Yes, I know that the Oregon Coast is spectacular and deserves more time. Where might I cut some time? It all looks so beautiful!! Do you think that the Mt Rainier, Mt Hood and Crater Lake areas merit 2 nights?
Old Jan 8th, 2017, 06:16 AM

Days 4-5 walk on ferry to the San Juans, stay on SJI and explore without a car. Is it reasonable to just stay on one island without going to other islands?

The ferry to the San Juan Island departs from Anacortes. How do you plan to get to Anacortes?

Yes, it is reasonable to stay on one island. My favorites are Orcas and San Juan Island.

Days 6-7 walk on ferry to Victoria and explore the city without a car.

Do you mean Victoria Clipper?

Days 8-11 walk on ferry to Port Angeles and rent a car in PA.

Have you checked the cost of renting a car in Port Angeles and dropping it off in Seattle? You might be better off renting a car in Seattle.

Day 12 head south exploring along Washington Coast and overnight on Long Beach Peninsula.

The Oregon coast is much more accessible by car than is the Washington Coast. You would be better advised to drive to Seaside or Cannon Beach rather than to Long Beach.

You have planned too little time for the Oregon coast.
Old Jan 8th, 2017, 06:29 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
I think you're trying to fill three weeks with a month's activities, and you're underestimating some of the logistical challenges you'll face, at the expense of really enjoying things.

I also think your car plan is faulty - picking up a one-way car in Port Angeles for eventual drop-off in Seattle is complicated due to very limited rental car facilities in PA. In addition to that, spending two days in the San Juans without a car is equally limiting; while Friday Harbor (the only practical place to visit without a car) is fine, the main attractions (IMO) on San Juan Island are not in Friday Harbor - picturesque Roche Harbor, English Camp, American Camp, Lime Kiln Point (whale watching)... Without a car you'd be quite restricted; transportation resources in Friday Harbor are very limited.

Here are the cuts and modifications I would propose; they're tough choices but here goes.

- Get a car as you leave Seattle and keep it until you return. Between very limited pick-up points away from the city and the high one-way or drop off fees, any savings will be minimal or even negative, and the hassle factors of managing ferries, taxis and buses to compensate are quite significant.

- Substitute Whidbey Island for the San Juans. Whidbey has lots of the same features that you travel to the San Juans to see - pretty waterfront towns, beautiful scenery, a nice "island vibe," but it's way more accessible and you spend less time getting to and from it. It's also cheaper than the San Juans in summer, too. If you want, you could park the car at the Anacortes ferry terminal and do a day trip to Friday Harbor and back, so you could see the lovely island scenery.

- Visit Victoria as foot passengers from Port Angeles, leaving the car in PA. This is doable as a day trip - visit the Inner Harbour, maybe take one of the various tours to Butchart Gardens, see the BC Provincial Museum - but easier and cheaper than your current plan.

- Drop Crater Lake. I love Crater Lake as much as the next person, but its location and distance from anything else on your list raises big timing and logistics problems. Save Crater Lake for a trip when you can include it with things like the California coast redwoods, southern Oregon coast, Ashland Shakespeare, etc.

- Spend two nights on the central Oregon coast - I've used Yachats ("ya-hots") as the base. Then travel to Hood River via the Willamette Valley wine country around McMinnville and Yamhill County.

- Add extra time in the Columbia Gorge/Hood River vicinity. Especially in September this is a glorious area with orchards and vineyards in harvest mode, some fall color at elevation, no crowds... perfect.

- Spend one night near/at Mount Rainier. With an early start from Portland and a quick visit to the Johnston Ridge observatory (Mt. St. Helens) you can get to Rainier in the late afternoon and have all the following day there before heading to the airport.

Here's a revised schedule (overnights shown) for you to consider:

1 Seattle
2 Seattle
3 Seattle
4 Whidbey
5 Whidbey - day trip to San Juans
6 Port Angeles
7 Port Angeles - Victoria day trip
8 Olympic NP - Hurricane Ridge, Lake Crescent
9 Olympic NP - La Push beaches, Hoh valley
10 Olympic NP - Ruby Beach, Lake Quinault
11 Long Beach/Ilwaco
12 US 101 to Yachats
13 Yachats
14 McMinnville - Willamette Valley vineyards
15 Hood River - Maryhill Museum, Stonehenge
16 Hood River - Timberline Lodge, fruit loop
17 Hood River - western Gorge waterfalls etc.
18 Portland
19 Portland
20 Mt. Rainier via Mt. St. Helens
21 Seatac for departure

Just my views of course.
Old Jan 8th, 2017, 07:36 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Tweaking your original plan: Spend 1 day and night in Seattle then rent the car in Seattle for your entire trip. You can leave the car in PA if you just want to walk in Victoria. Return to PA on the ferry and then go south to Oregon on US101.
Spend a night along the Oregon coast (Florence?).
Instead of Roseburg, try for Diamond Lake Resort near Crater Lake NP. Plan on 1 full day at Crater Lake arriving in Bend about 7PM. It is 90 miles from the north entrance of Crater lake NP to downtown Bend (1:45 on a good day)
From Bend it is an easy drive to the Timberline or Hood River area.
If you have an extra day left, spend it in either Portland or Seattle before heading to SeaTac.
Old Jan 8th, 2017, 09:33 AM

The Victoria Clipper does go from Seattle to San Juan seasonally, in the summer, so if your dates coincide with the Clipper dates, it is do-able. But as Gardyloo points out, you will only be able to see the small town of Friday Harbor, not the best scenery on the island.

Gardyloo's idea of substituting Whidbey Island for the San Juan's makes sense, but I wouldn't do a day trip to the San Juan's from Whidbey.

Frankly, you are just trying to do too much in your limited time. I'd suggest you choose either the San Juan's or Victoria or Whidbey.
Old Jan 8th, 2017, 10:08 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Checking in on this thread (I'm in Seattle). I'm not sure what to cut but your proposed itinerary is covering too much distance in too short a period of time I think.

Gardyloo is great at planning and I would follow his advice, but note that even his is quite ambitious. I would probably cut things back even a bit more so as not to be rushing around.

PNW is huge territory. And any of the parts you're doing without a car will take extra time and effort to see things.
Old Jan 8th, 2017, 10:48 AM

There's very little public transport on San Juan Island and they only run through early September. Even then the schedules are very limited.
Old Jan 8th, 2017, 10:53 AM

If you wish to pursue your original plan, I am confident you can achieve most of it in three weeks. I would eliminate Crater Lake and Mt. Saint Helens because the first is way out of the way and the second is a long way in and a long way back out. I suggest this routing:

Seattle
Orcas Island or San Juan Island
Victoria
Olympic Peninsula
Oregon coast (Astoria to Florence)
Willamette Valley Wine District (if that interests you)
Portland
Hood River and the Columbia River Gorge
Mt. Rainier
Seattle

To do this, plan ahead to reserve space on ferries. Book a car in Seattle, drive to Anacortes and take the ferry to San Juan Island. From SJI, take the ferry to Sidney, BC and visit Victoria. From Victoria take the ferry to Port Townsend.

HTtY
Old Jan 8th, 2017, 03:11 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your many prompt and helpful replies. I am re-doing the itinerary based on the advice to eliminate some things and rent a car right out of Seattle. I am dropping the plans for Crater Lake and Mt St Helens as being too far out of the way. I am adding the Whidbey Island idea and MAYBE do a day trip to SJI from Anacortes and MAYBE do a day trip to Victoria from Port Angeles. I also added 2 full days to the Oregon Coast area down to Florence. We are doing more single night stays but that is fine. As many of you replied, it is all incredibly beautiful and unless we are willing to add another week to our trip it is too much to enjoy without driving too much and feeling rushed. So here is the newest iteration:

1. fly into Seattle
2. Seattle
3. Seattle and maybe a day trip to Bainbridge Island
4. rent a car and drive to Mukilteo and catch the ferry to Clinton. Explore Whidbey Island and go North towards Fidalgo. ON Whidbey.
5. Maybe a day trip to SJI or maybe just more Whidbey Island sights. ON Whidbey.
6. Drive to Coupeville and catch the ferry to Port Townsend then drive over to Port Angeles for overnight. What is there to see and do along the way??
7. Possible day trip to Victoria, ON in Port Angeles. Is there anything else to do around PA or we just start our Olympic NP adventures?
8. Drive to Hurricane Ridge, all day hiking and sights and back to Port Angeles overnight
9. drive to Lake Crescent area for hiking then overnight in La Push.
10. drive from La Push to Hoh Rainforest area for the day. Overnight Ruby Beach
11. from Ruby Beach to Quinault Rainforest area for the day.Then drive to Astoria for overnight.
12. from Astoria to Tillamook incl. the Three Capes Loop
13. from Tillamook to Florence incl. Dunes Recreation Area
14. from Florence to Portland
15. Portland
16. Portland to Hood River via the Columbia River Gorge
17. day trip to Mt. Hood
18. more Columbia River Gorge Overnight in Hood River
19.Hood River to Mt. Rainier. 2 routes either Hwy 141 thru the mountains or back to Portland and north on 5. Google maps says time is the same (3 1/2 hours) but I am sure the mountain route is both more scenic and slower per mile. Not sure if we should just overnight it in Ashford and save the next full day for the park or try to make it into the park and find lodgings near the entrance if available (at Nisqually or Longmire).
20. Full day in MT Rainier NP driving from SW entrance to NE and visiting Longmire, Paradise, Grove of the Patriarchs, Sunrise and then out of the park for overnight nearby.
21. back to Seattle, return car, overnight near Seatac.
Old Jan 10th, 2017, 05:07 AM

Beautifully thought out. My observations:

5. I would definitely do a day trip to San Juan Island. There is parking at the Anacortes ferry dock and there is bus service on the island: http://www.sanjuantransit.com/schedules.html
7. I would definitely do a day trip to Victoria. It is a charming town even if you don’t go to Butchart Garden. Don’t miss Scenic Marine Drive. It will be a higlight of your trip.
10. There are many more lodging and dining options in Forks than in La Push.
11. Astoria has good lodging, but if you drive a few miles more to Seaside or Cannon Beach you will be on the ocean. Don't miss Ecola State Park.
12. Our favorite part of the Three Capes Loop was closed the last few times we were in the area.
19. We once made the mistake of driving on 141, assuming it is scenic. Unfortunately, it is lined with trees most of the way and it is a hard drive. On the other hand, the drive on WA-14 to Washougal is very scenic, and the rest of the drive to Mt. Rainier is smooth sailing. (There are also amenities all along the way.)

HTtT
Old Jul 15th, 2017, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

I am finally getting back to finalizing plans for this trip and I have made a few adjustments to the itinerary to include 2 nights in the San Juans (Friday Harbor) and then just continue west on the Ferry to Sidney, BC, spending a day in Victoria and then catching the last ferry to Port Angeles. It added a day but then I thought we could easily drive from the NE of Mt. Rainier to Seatac on the last morning and save a night staying near Seatac.

1. fly into Seattle
2. Seattle
3. Seattle and maybe a day trip to Bainbridge Island
4. Seattle
5. rent a car and drive to Anacortes via Whidby Island and enjoy the Whidby sights and stay overnight in Anacortes to catch early ferry to SJI
6. early ferry to SJI and overnight in Friday Harbor
7. all day in SJI and Friday Harbor overnight
8. A VERY BUSY DAY! leave SJI on 9:45 am ferry and arr in Sidney BC at 11:00 am. Drive to Victoria and spend day seeing the sights. Catch the last ferry at 7:30 pm to Port Angeles. Overnight in PA.
9. Spend the day hiking and seeing Hurricane Ridge area. Back to PA for overnight.
10. drive to Lake Crescent area for hiking then overnight in La Push/Forks.
11. drive from La Push/Forks to Hoh Rainforest area for the day. Overnight in Ruby Beach/Kalaloch area.
12. drive from Ruby Beach/Kalaloch to Quinault Rainforest area for the day.Then drive to Astoria for overnight.
13. drive from Astoria to Tillamook incl. the Three Capes Loop and gorgeous Oregon coastline.
14. from Tillamook to Florence along OR coastline hiking, etc...
15. from Florence to Portland
16. Portland
17. Portland to Hood River via the Columbia River Gorge
18. day trip to Mt. Hood
19. more Columbia River Gorge sights. Overnight in Hood River
20.Hood River to Mt. Rainier. 2 routes either Hwy 141 thru the mountains or back to Portland and north on 5. Google maps says time is the same (3 1/2 hours) but I am sure the mountain route is both more scenic and slower per mile. Not sure if we should just overnight it in Ashford and save the next full day for the park or try to make it into the park and find lodgings near the entrance if available (at Nisqually or Longmire).
21. Full day in MT Rainier NP driving from SW entrance to NE and visiting Longmire, Paradise, Grove of the Patriarchs, Sunrise and then out of the park for overnight nearby. Maybe in Enumclaw?
22. drive from Enumclaw to Seatac for the flight home.

If anybody has some recommendations for accommodations (we are budget minded but don't mind splurging for a special lodging or view) along this route, I would appreciate it. Also, overnight stops are relative and if there are other special locations nearby the towns I have listed, feel free to enlighten me.

We are avid hikers so if you have day hikes to recommend in the Olympic Natl. Park, along the OR coast, in the Hood River and Mt. Rainier areas, we would love to hear about them.

Thank you in advance!! Maria