Search

Pacific Northwest Roadtrip - Need Help!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1st, 2007, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pacific Northwest Roadtrip - Need Help!

Hi everyone,

I have used the Fodor forums to help plan many vacations in the past, but have never actually posted a message before.

My wife and I will be heading on a road trip this Summer between Portland, OR and Vancouver, BC (Canada). We are giving ourselves 8 nights/9 days for this trip. I know a trip like this deserves much more time, but at this point in our lives we are interested in getting an overview of larger regions (seeing as much as possible) rather than settling on one place.

We are both foodies in our late 20's and love scenic drives with many photo ops.

Our current itinerary is looking like this:
Sat - Portland (overnight in city)
Sun - Columbia Gorge/Mt. Hood Loop then Coast (Tillamook - Astoria) - (overnight in Astoria)
Mon - Drive to Seattle: Rt. 101 around Olympic Peninsula (overnight in city)
Tues - Seattle (overnight in city)
Wed - Seattle to San Juan Islands via ferry(overnight Orcas, SJI)
Thu - SJI to Victoria, Vancouver Island via ferry (overnight Victoria)
Fri - Victoria to Vancouver BC via ferry (overnight in city)
Sat - Vancouver (overnight in city)
Sun - Vancouver (evening flight home)

Right now I need the most help with the driving route and logistics of taking the ferry. For example, I'm not sure if I should return the car when I get to Seattle and then rely on the ferry system to get between Seattle/San Juan Islands/Vancouver Island/Vancouver, etc.

Thank you so much in advance to everyone who takes the time to help with my trip planning.

Regards,
Brett

Old Jan 1st, 2007, 05:34 PM

I understand you desire to see the entire NW in a week, but it isn't possible. Here are some places I would trim:

Sat- Instead of going to Tillamook, go to the Cannon Beach area and spend the night there.
Sun- If you drive to the Olympic National Park, spend the night there.

If you want to visit Vancouver and/or Victoria, forget about waiting for ferries in the San Juan Islands.

Have you heard the expression, "You've bitten off more than you can chew"? It applies to your "vacation" plans in the NW.

Old Jan 1st, 2007, 06:50 PM

Yup, pretty aggressive plan. Astoria to Seattle via 101 is a great drive, but is around 8 hours without stopping, and there are so many things to see along the way. Lake Quinault, the Coast, Hoh Rain Forest, Hurricane Ridge, Port Townsend, etc.
The ferries to the San Juans depart from Anacortes, not Seattle, it's about a two hour drive.
You'll need a car in the San Juans, as well as when you get to Vancouver.
If I were doing this, I'd skip the Columbia River gorge/Mt. Hood, but that's just my Washington bias.
Old Jan 1st, 2007, 07:48 PM

Sounds like one of our road trips..We like to pack in as much as possible also.However, living in the Portland area myself I cam tell you, your Sunday, while doable, would be a race.
If your set on doing it, I would suggest heading out early,head east on I84 to Troutdale, then get on the old scenic highway that will take you past the Vista house and the waterfalls.
Hook back up with 84 to Hoodriver and circle Mt Hood back to Portland. Around 6 hours I would guess. Timberline lodge is worth the side trip.
Unless there is something you really wanna see in Tillamook, I'd just take 26 to 101 and hit Cannon Beach as mentioned. You say you are foodies, check out Stephanie Inn in Cannon Beach for sure.
Mon... Another marathon, your going to miss ALOT if you try and make it all the way around to Seattle.JMHO

Old Jan 1st, 2007, 10:11 PM

Not to sound discouraging, but the first part of your trip involves a lot of car time: Portland east to the Gorge, then up to Mt. Hood and back, would take at least 4-5 hours, longer with any stops. Add another 2-3 hours to Tillamook, then another hour or so back up the coast to Astoria, and you have a pretty long day in the car. Not knowing all of your interests, but you might consider not going east to the Gorge or mountain, but perhaps spending part of your day exploring the Pearl District in Portland or wine tasting in the Willamette Valley before heading out to try the cheese at Tillamook. (I haven't been there for a while, but last time I checked, I didn't think that Astoria offered much in the way of cuisine, boutique lodging, and/or shopping. You might consider Cannon Beach, about 30 minutes south on the Oregon coast and about an hour or so north of Tillamook.)

I also agree with the other poster that the Olympic Penninsula loop would take at least 8 hours driving, plus you'd need to either take the ferry from Bremerton to Seattle or add another 2-3 hours to drive around Puget Sound. If I were to skip the Penninsula, I'd head inland from Astoria (on the Oregon side), cross the Columbia at Rainier, OR, through Longview to hit I-5 north and visit Mt. St. Helens (or Mt. Rainier, or both) on the way to Seattle.

The ferries through the San Juans are where you'll have a bigger challenge. First, the ferry does leave from Anacortes, a good 2 hour drive north of Seattle. Second, in the summer that ferry route is very overloaded. On our trips up there, even on a weekday, we parked our car in the ferry line at about 5 am for a 9 am ferry. The lines get so long so quickly that if you arrive much later in the morning, you run the risk of not getting on any ferry at all that day. On the plus side, many people line up early and grab breakfast nearby. Take a look at the Washington State Dept. of Transportation website, which posts ferry schedules for all ferries in the state, for more specific info.

In Eastsound, on Orcas, there are several great places to eat. We had a nice dinner at Christine's. You will need a car to get around Orcas.

The ferry through the San Juans drops you at Sidney, a small town about 20 miles or so north of Victoria. The ferry from Vancouver Island over to Vancouver leaves from several places (such as Nanaimo), all of which require driving both from Victoria and into Vancouver. You will absolutely need to keep your car throughout your trip, so make sure you let the rental company know you'll be taking it into (and it sounds like, leaving it in) Canada.

Another alternative might be to drive inland to Seattle (e.g., as I suggested above), then taking the ferry from Seattle to Bremerton and driving around the north end of the Olympic Penninsula, out the coast, and then backtrack a bit to Port Angeles. (Hurricane Ridge is a worthy drive up from there into the Olympics for terrific views.) Port Angeles has become a pretty little tourist town, with some nice restaurants and decent places to stay. A summer ferry departs Port Angeles to Victoria across the Strait of Juan de Fuca, and it is not as crowded as that through the San Juans. You could then visit Victoria, then take the ferry from Sidney to Orcas (slightly less crowded eastbound), then from Orcas (but get to the ferry early!) to Anancortes and north by car to Vancouver (about an hour or so not counting the frequently slow border crossing).

I know that I've made lots of transportation suggestions, with little advice for a foodie. You may feel that posters have focused on the challenges of your trip. Perhaps a slightly less ambitious itinerary will draw more suggestions for food and activites. It's a beautiful region with many great photo ops. Enjoy your trip.
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 07:08 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
As everyone has already clarified, that is a LOT of driving time every day. I'm not sure what to suggets to cut, but something needs to go. Perhaps even just fly into Seattle and out of Vancouver, leaving off Oregon? Or into Portland and out of Seattle, leaving off Canada?
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 07:31 AM

I'll pile on! ;-)

You'll regret packing so much into this trip. Yes, you'll see a lot of scenery, but you've scheduled almost no time - at least in Oregon - to enjoy and/or photograph it. You've packed into one day what we locals usually recommend for a minimum of 2 - 3.

I'm not sure where to suggest cuts, either, but I do agree with the suggested pass on Tillamook and overnight in Cannon Beach. Also, IMO, there's little to be seen from 101 in Washington until you get to the Olympic Peninsula. So, I might suggest a visit to Cape Disappointment at the mouth of the Columbia River, then head directly to Seattle.
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 07:35 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
The real bottlenecks are the Olypmic NP coast and San Juan Islands portions. In summer accommodation is very hard to obtain on the Olympic NP coast section, and trying to get from Astoria to Seattle via the US101 loop in one day means you won't have any time to see the sights that make you want to take that route. The Hoh trail or Ruby Beach take an hour or more each to enjoy, but you won't have it with your schedule. As for the San Juans, between the length of drive from Seattle to the dock, summer wait times for boats, and the complexity of getting from Orcas to Victoria, you're using up a lot of time waiting for things to happen, and you don't have that much time to spare.

Couple of alternatives:

Instead of the San Juans, allocate a day in the Canadian Gulf Islands (Saltspring, Pender, Galiano, Gabriola, Saturna etc.) which are easily accessed from Vancouver Island and connect to the mainland for access to Vancouver (city.) No border/customs delays, etc. and they're very beautiful and much less congested than the San Juans.

If you want rocky coast/remote scenery, you can also allocate an additional day to Vancouver Island and spend it driving up to Port Renfrew on BC14, which follows some very scenic big-water coastline north from Victoria and Sooke. There's also Carmanah Walbran Provincial Park near Victoria, which, while not as spectacular as the Hoh rainforest in Olympic National Park, has some competitive trees and walks of its own, and way more accessible and less out-of-the-way than Hoh. This would allow you to pass on the Olympic NP portion.

Here's an amended itinerary for your consideration. I think it keeps the scenic highlights without requiring hours and hours of driving.

Sat, arr PDX
Sun, Columbia Gorge/Mt. Hood loop
Mon, to Seattle via Mt St Helens
Tue, Seattle to Port Angeles via Bainbridge ferry, visit Hurricane Ridge
Wed, to Victoria
Thu, Victoria coast day trip
Fri, Victoria to Saltspring Island
Sat, Saltspring to Vancouver
Sun, Vancouver - home

Of course this is still scratching the surface, but you can't see it all in 9 days or 9 lifetimes.
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 08:16 AM

You have gotten some very good advise and info from other posters. I will go ahead and throw in my 2 cents worth.

First of all, since you mentioned this is a "road" trip and not a "relaxing" trip, it sounds like you are fully prepared for lots of time behind the wheel.

I would absolutely not skip The Gorge/Mt Hood Loop. it is one of the most beautiful places in the area, in my opinion.

Since you will be spending time near the water in both Washington State and in Canada I would skip the Oregon Coast Part of your trip. I say that even though I think the Oregon Coast is spectacular. The Gorge is unique and shouldn't be missed. There are many waterfalls along the scenic highway where you can get some great photo ops.

Spend your first 2 nights in Portland and just head straight up to Seattle from there. Portland has some incredible restaurants and if you want to take some photos there are many parks and gardens within the city limits:

Japanese Garden
Rose Garden (great views over Portland)
Chinese Garden
Forest Park
Washington Park
Waterfront Park

What are your travel dates? There are many festivals in Portland during the summer, my favorite being the Waterfront Blues Fest. for 4-5 days around the 4th of July and the Oregon Brewers Fest at the end of July.

I would also choose either Victoria or Vancouver, not both. My choice would be Victoria.

There are some great day trips from Victoria, one of my favorite being Buchart Gardens. There is also wine tasting near the gardens. You can also don these great big puffy suits and go out on the water to see if you may be able to see some Orca. Even if you don't see Orca this is a great trip.

Let us know if you have more questions!

Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 11:26 AM

Driving around the Olympic Peninsula in one day from Oregon is going to be hard (i.e. crazy). Love the idea, but Whew!

Keep in mind that it is 3.5 hours up I-5 from Portland to Seattle, so you are looking at 10 to 12 hours minimum to drive around the Peninsula. May I suggest, that when you leave Astoria, do not go any further north than Long Beach (has a board walk, kites etc) before heading over to I-5 and driving to Seattle (Watch out for cops…speed traps everywhere). Spend the day in Seattle….there is so much to see there - shopping and eating.

Besides the long drive around the Peninsula, another reason for taking I-5 is that, while HWY 101 is lovely along the Oregon coastline, it is boring for most of Central Washington, unless you love fir trees – short fir trees. No old growth here. Drove it on a motorcycle…..boring!

A few other thoughts: the Olympic Pennisula & the Hoh Rainforest are nice (however, the Oregon coast is also a rainforest). Mt Rainer is awesome; Lake Chelan is a real natural lake (no man made dam). Port Angeles is a neat little town, I have caught the ferry there a couple of time. The drive from Olympia to Port Angeles is nice.

You just might be able to lose the car in Seattle. Victoria and Vancouver each need a day and scooters are a great way to get around. Also, you had better know the ferry schedule and arrive early. Hopefully, you will not be spending too much time sitting on a ferry in the middle of the water.

I hope this helps....have a good time1
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 12:51 PM

Skip the Olympic Loop-there's no point in doing that in a day, since the good scenery isn't along Hwy 101, but requires long detours off the highway to various areas of the park (the Hoh rainforest, Hurricane Ridge). But you won't have time for these detours. If you drive around 101 you'll see mostly old logged land. It's definitely not a "scenic drive with many photo ops" like you want. Also you will get into Seattle so late, and have to leave so early to catch a San Juan ferry, there wouldn't be any point in even coming to Seattle.

Your Sunday is insane-skip the Oregon Coast and when you are done with the Gorge, head up north to Rainier.

I agree, if you want mt. scenery, a better bet is to drive from Portland to Seattle and detour to Mt. Rainier along the way. If you do this you could also skip Mt. Hood, which isn't nearly as spectacular as Rainier. There are many photo ops on the way to the Paradise visitor's center at Rainier. The only caveat here is that a storm wiped out the road up to Paradise last month, so you should make sure things are back to normal before heading up there next summer (they won't be able to make many repairs in the winter).

Since scenery, photo ops and food are important to you, I wouldn't skip the San Juan Islands. You do definie
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 12:53 PM

Oops, meant to say you do want to get to the ferry a couple hours early at least. Going mid-week like you've planned is very smart.
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 02:13 PM
samting

Well, you've got lots of time in your schedule to get there, but no time to 'be' there..If you do get to the Olympic Penn., stay at the Lake Quinalt Lodge for a great experience, or Kalalok (right on the ocean) or Iron Springs Resort. ps. this is a big logging area so factor in time, if you go into the mountains to be stuck behind one, unable to pass on a curve.

Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 04:02 PM
Original Poster

Wow! I really appreciate everyone's thoughtful responses. I certainly have some rethinking to do. I am going to read through and post a revised itinerary. In the meantime, if anyone has any other ideas on what to cut out or what not to miss please share! Thanks again!
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 08:41 PM

You have the benefit of good advice and differing opinions from many people. I live in Olympia, mid way from Portland and Seattle. I think you should refine a bit on what you want to see. I don't think The Gorge is that wonderful unless you windsurf. Mt Rainier is worth a side trip, and the loop around the peninsula should not be done in 1 day. All you will remember are RVs and logging trucks. If you fish, lots of rivers for salmon and steelhead,depending on the dates. On the loop, Lake Quinault lodge is an interesting historical and comfortable place to stay, cheaper bungalows are farther in the park. Lots of camping grounds to save money. The Hoh River trail is serious rainforest and neat. I have seen bear 2 times on that trail. Ruby Beach and La Push or Neah Bay are worth a side trip, especially the latter 2 if you are interested in Native American culture. They give you a good look at small native towns on the coast. Their beach stuff is just as good if not better than the Oregon coast.Do not use Sea as a jump off to the loop. I would take the loop clockwise, taking 101 west at Olympia and at Port Angeles take the Coho ferry to Victoria, 2 ferries a day 1.5 hours to cross the straits. You can ferry from Vic to Vancouver and drive down to Seattle or ferry back to the US through the San Juans (lovely trip) to Anacortes and drive to Sea. Mt St Helens is about 1 hour off I-5 and looks like a big mountain with the top blown off. There is an amazingly good Italian restaurent on main street in Port Angles, don't recall the name, but they had Vino Nobile and Brunello! I go to Italy 2 times a year and like to eat, so I know good Italian food.

Too much info for you from the board members? Many of us in the NW just frequent the peninsula for close and quick 2-3 day vacations.
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 06:24 AM

Wow, beaker!. I would guess you haven't spent much time in The Gorge if you can make the statement that it is not "that wonderful".

I probably head out that way from Portland at least twice a month in the summer to explore, hike and drink in the beautify that I never tire of. Maybe you haven't gotten off the road and hiked to some of the amazing vistas or seen any of the waterfalls except from the road? :-? Have you ever hiked to the top of Angels Rest and had a picnic while gazing over The Gorge? Have you ever been to the top of Crown Point on a clear blue day? Hiked up Eagle Creek and taken a swim in the stunning pool below Tunnel Falls in Eagle Creek? Stopped by the fish hatchery to watch the salmon fight their way up river or seen the 70 year old sturgeon at the Bonneville Fish Hatchery?

bgg110, The Gorge was the first area in the country to be declared a National Scenic Area. Here are some good links of the area, which include some photos:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/columbia/forest/

http://www.crgva.org/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbia_River_Gorge

I have travelled to many places in the world and I think that The Gorge rivals some of the most beautiful places I have ever seen, inside or outside of the USA.
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 09:36 AM

My advice: Instead of trying to do the Gorge/Mt. Hood loop and heading straight to the coast (you'll be in the car all day), spend a few nights in Portland. Use it as a base for day trips to Mt. Hood and the coast. You're a foodie, Portland has great restaurants, and this will give you a few nights to eat out there. Also, it's worth spending a full day in the city.
Then, head up Interstate 5, with a detour to Mt. St. Helens on the way to Seattle. Spend a couple days there (maybe take a trip to Mt. Rainier) and then go on to Vancouver.
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 10:34 AM

Good advice from Andrew!
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 01:07 PM

Euro...I can't say I have had a pic nic at some of the specific spots you mention. Beauty is quite a subjective topic of course. I have seen the mountains of Yunnan, the alps, Greek islands, the inlets for BC Canada and Alaska etc. I simply do not agree with your opinion that the Gorge rivals the most beautiful vistas around the world.

The poster asked for opinions and he/she got some good ones. I did not intend to offend your sensitivities about an area you obviously value so much. The absence of much tourist infrastructure specific to the Gorge seems to suggest the market place shares my opinion, especially when it is compared to the most scenic spots in the world as you contend.
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 01:36 PM

Here's my suggestions:

Sat - Portland (overnight in city)

Sun - Travel south on 99w through the Willamette Valley to McMinnville. Lots of vineyards along the way. Head west to Lincoln City, then north along 101. Check out the Pelican Brewery in Pacific city for good beer and food. See Tillamook, Cannon Beach, Astoria, then head east to Hood River to eat and drink at Full Sail Brewery.

Mon - Continue east along the Gorge and hang a left outside of the Dalles towards Yakima. You're going to have great views of Mt. Hood, Mt. St. Helens and esspecially Mt. Adams (assuming weather is clear). Through Yakima you will take hwy 12, then hwy 410 (Chinook Pass) into the mountains. On 410, you will get up-close and personal with Mt. Rainier and will have some tremendous photo ops. Drive to Seattle.

Tues - Seattle - The Met is most famous for steaks and seafood. Blue Water Bistro on Lake Union is good outdoor eating in summer. Try to catch a Mariner's game if you can.

Wed - Ferry from Seattle to Bremerton, drive south to Belfair and travel along the hood canal on hwy 106 for some great views of Olympic Mountains. Stop by the Alderbrook Resort for food along the way. Take a right on 101 and head towards Port Angeles. Hurricane Ridge is a nice spot in the Mts. From Port Angeles, you can catch a ferry to Victoria. You're on your own once you get there.

Good luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -