please help me

Mar 12th, 2004, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

please help me

Well my airline tickets fell through(long story) so now we have to drive up to washington D.C. from Tampa Florida. My question is would it be better to get a hotel in the surrouding areas so that it would be cheaper and drive into the city or get a hotel in the city and pay $25.00 a night to park the car. If it would be better to get a hotel in the outside areas can you give me some areas to look at that wouldn't be that far and would be cheap. Thanks a lot guys
Mar 12th, 2004, 01:45 PM

you should definately get a hotel in a surrounding area!! We did this and took the metro into the city everyday of our vacation. the station was only 2 blocks from our hotel and the hotel even offered a free shuttle service to the station. Get a hotel near a metro station and just plan on the trip taking 5-15 minutes! the stations in the city are right where you want to go and it's so easy to navigate! (clean and safe, too)
Mar 12th, 2004, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

cool, thanks for the reply. Would it come out to be cheaper in the surrouding areas? Also what is a good area to pick? where did you stay?
Mar 12th, 2004, 03:02 PM

obie - Since you can buy passes for unlimited Metro travel for $6/day, and considering the fact that you'll probably use the system anyway, you can make your own calculations on the savings. Two other financial considerations is that the room charges will be lower outside DC, as well as the total taxes, in both % and $ amounts. However you lose some convenience. Don't drive itto the city even if you stay in the outskirts; find lodging near a Metro.

Please do a search on this, as "Where to stay near/at DC" questions come up a couple times a week. You fine more opinions than you ever wanted to know.
Mar 12th, 2004, 03:07 PM
E

Obie, keep in mind that hotels in the suburbs usually charge for parking, too--be sure to ask if, and how much. As rb points out, hotel taxes are lower in VA than in DC, but you'd have to do the math depending on the rate you get...best of luck!
Mar 12th, 2004, 03:52 PM
Original Poster

thanks for all the replies. I think I will have to use the search option. lol
Mar 12th, 2004, 04:22 PM

Come back to this thread after you've read them and have any questions ... if you don't use the search, just click on my name, and you'll find posts I've made, and I know I've made several DC hotel posts. I just can't see re-hashing it all when a LOT of is are recent posts.
Mar 15th, 2004, 09:14 AM

Some areas convenient to DC:

- Alexandria. There is a Hilton and a Hampton Inn that are very close to the King Street Metro that are also walking distance to the restaurants and stores in Old Town Alexandria.

- Crystal City. This is closer to the city than Alexandria, but the area doesn't have quite as much charm. I know there's a Marriott, a Hyatt, and a few other chains. All have a shuttle to Metro. Located in Arlington County.

- Rosslyn. Right across the Potomac from Georgetown, and very convenient to Metro. Rosslyn is located in Arlinton County, and they Key Bridge Marriott may be a good choice.

- Bethesda, MD. Also very convenient to Metro, and there are a lot of things to do in Bethesda as well. It's the first stop on the metro as you leave DC and enter Maryland. I'm not sure of the hotels in the area, but I know there is a Marriott (there are tons of Marriotts in Washington because the corporate headquarters is located here!_