Hotel help Washington DC

Mar 18th, 2008, 05:56 PM
Original Poster

Hotel help Washington DC

My husband and I are heading to DC 1st week of April. He will be relocating to a new job at the Pentagon. We want to shop for a place to live but also check out the sites. We are flying into to BWI. Where should we stay ?

Thanks in advance.
Mar 19th, 2008, 04:37 AM

Will you have a car? will you be spending more time house-hunting or sight-seeing? What neighborhoods are you considering to live in?
Mar 19th, 2008, 05:01 AM

As you probably know, the Pentagon is located in Arlington. Probably the closest hotel to the Pentagon is the Sheraton National Hotel at 900 South Orme Street. I have never stayed in this hotel so I have no recommendation on it--I just know its location.
There are many hotel located near Metro stops in Arlington which would be convenient for travel to the Pentagon. I would look at hotels near the Crystal City Metro stop or the following Metro stops: Rosslyn, Courthouse, and Ballston.
We hope you will consider living in Arlington as well. We have lived here for almost 25 years and think Arlington is the best place in Northern Virginia to live. From my home, I can walk to a public library, a grocery store, several pharmacies, a community center with gym and art studios, a wide variety of restaurants, a movie theatre, etc. If, as the realtors says, it's all about location, you can't beat the location of Arlington.
Mar 19th, 2008, 06:24 AM

Must you fly into BWI? It is not convenient if you will be going straight to Northern VA. Reagan airport would be much better.
Mar 19th, 2008, 06:39 AM

Are you looking for a big hotel? Something convenient to the Pentagon?

Crystal City hotels can't be beat for convenience, although they can be a bit pricey. The Marriott's Crystal City Gateway is connected to the Metro via ramp to the underground from the lobby. Pentagon is one stop away. There are restaurants and shops in Crystal City, so you don't even have to step outside when the weather is bad, but the convenience of the Metro is the big attraction. I've stayed there many times and can recommend it.

Another convenient stay is at the Pentagon City Residence Inn, directly across the parking lot a block away from the building. The Metro stop is a bit further away, about 3 blocks maybe, but the hotel shuttle will deliver you to either the Pentagon (in bad weather, a great thing) or to the Metro and the Pentagon City area, where there are again many restaurants and shops, including a HUGE mall. I stay here frequently and can recommend this hotel very highly.

I like to stay in Old Town Alexandria and again choose the Residence Inn, about a 3 block walk from the King Street Metro station (again, the hotel shuttle will deliver you there or to anywhere in Old Town, including the grocery store). Another hotel with high marks from me as a many-times repeat customer.

Depending on how much time you're spending there, the Residence Inns are pretty nice because they give you a chance to eat in once in awhile, a big plus to me. They also have breakfast buffets included in the price and an evening "reception" on some weekdays.

As you can see by all of the above, I think the Metro connection is key. You will certainly want to use it as much as possible, but driving and finding parking will get easier after you've tried it a few times. Definitely consider the Metro and commuting time when you're looking for a place to live... I've often said that if I had to actually live there, vice visiting, I'd get an apartment in Crystal City or Pentagon City, garage my car for the duration, and make my life easy.

Good luck and have a fun trip!
p.s. and if you can fly into Reagan, do so! The hotels all have shuttles and you're about 5 minutes away from the building.
Mar 19th, 2008, 07:29 AM

I'm not sure where you're from, and I don't know if you have kids - but unless you're from NYC or California, do be prepared for sticker shock on houses. Since you're relocating here, my assumption is you're going to be spending alot of time looking around at houses. It's sometimes a bit overwhelming - because you have to determine a) what state you want to live in and b) then find agents, etc to help you find a house. Most people live in Virginia or Maryland (as opposed to DC itself). For Virginia, you would want to look in Northern Virginia - and I recommend looking at Fairfax county and Loudoun County. There is one more option - Prince William county, but the commute into DC from there is particularly rough. In Maryland, I recommend you look at Montgomery County. If your husband knows anyone in his new place of work - he might want to ask them for suggestions. I like VA better, but that's just me. I also recommend that you stay farther away from the Pentagon itself because you'll understand the traffic issues you're going to be facing as you move here, and you'll get to see all the neighborhoods. You'll really need a car, so you can stay pretty much anywhere. You cannot throw a dead possum without hitting hotels in Northern Virginia.... I'm sure it's the same in Maryland. I would go for one of the Residence Inns or something like that... You're picking a good time to buy here (if you want to buy) due to the price decreases the market has had (and tons of inventory). If you want to rent an apartment (or house) - lots of those available as well. If you're flying into BWI (there are 3 airports - BWI, Reagon and Dulles), it's still pretty easy to get to either VA or anywhere in Maryland. In Virginia, look at hotels in Fairfax, Vienna, Chantilly, Sterling (convenient to househunting), and in Maryland - maybe Bethesda or Silver Spring. Tell your husband to be prepared for long commutes to work... If you can find a home near a metro line - that's really helpful (looking online at http://www.wmata.com/metrorail/systemmap.cfm). Good luck - we moved here from Connecticut about 5 years ago. Love it (except the traffic....)
Mar 19th, 2008, 09:49 AM

Well, now. I'm not going to get into a Maryland vs. Virginia debate since that won't be helpful to the OP, BUT, I have to say that it is completely untrue that most people live in VA or MD and not in DC. Since your husband is going to be at the Pentagon, I would lean toward VA or DC over MD. I think someone suggested renting an apartment first and taking your time to find the right neighborhood, factoring into the decision your lifestyle and interests. This is an excellent idea. DC is a completely reasonable choice.
Mar 20th, 2008, 04:42 AM

Yup, there's a bunch of us who live in DC! LOL Where you end up buying will be hugely influenced by whether you have kids or are planning to have them (yards and good public schools are pretty scarce within the District) and I can't really give much help on that end, but for those without kids the District is great.

You'll really have to decide whether space or time is more valuable to you. The more space you have, the more time your husband will spend commuting. I live in a small place and have a commute on foot and it is soooooo worth it to me.
Mar 20th, 2008, 07:56 PM

Good thing about the Pentagon is easy Metro access, which makes living anywhere -- including Maryland, an option. I know plenty of Montgomery types who do the commute daily.

In fact, it's a shorter, faster, cheaper Metro ride from either Silver Spring or Bethesda to Pentagon than it is from Vienna.

That said, Arlington or Alexandria are both great options. If you've got school-aged kids, DC still hasn't fixed its schools -- a true shame on another of levels.
Mar 20th, 2008, 07:57 PM

... make that "a number" of levels.
Mar 21st, 2008, 02:57 AM

We were in DC recently and really enjoyed the Hotel Palomar. It's really close to the Dupont Circle stop for the Metro. And a really close cab ride to Georgetown.

And when your close to a Metro stop, it's not a problem to get to the Pentagon.

We got a deal for staying 3 nights, so you might want to play around with their specials online.

http://www.hotelpalomar-dc.com/
Mar 24th, 2008, 01:32 PM

Prince William County is convenient to the Pentagon for commuting. The HOV lanes and commuter "slugs" (those who drivers use to gain access to HOV lanes) can be there within 25 minutes.
It is a fantastic way to commute and it is free.