Plaza Hotel Feb.25 - 27

Search

Plaza Hotel Feb.25 - 27

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plaza Hotel Feb.25 - 27

I'm interested in getting some restaurant recommendations for places somewhat close to the Plaza hotel. On a Fodor's recommendation we have tried Maria Pia in the past and enjoyed it. We also tried Roberto Passon and didn't have a good experience, though we may have just hit a bad night. Is the Plaza considered UES or UWS? At least one dinner will be pre-theater as we want to see In the Heights. We like all cuisines and are looking for a place with entrees around $20.
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 08:44 AM

The Plaza is Central Park south - not either upper east or west.

If you search below you will find tons of recos for modest dining in the theater district.
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help. I had no idea just what area it was officially in. I try the search feature now.
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 08:51 AM

The Plaza is considered the north end of midtown (34 st -59 st.) and a very high rent district for sure. Eating near there at places with $20 entrees will either require going to casual places (like upscale coffee shops such as the Brooklyn Diner or La Bonne Soupe)or perhaps finding bargain prix fixe dinners. It's easier to find what you want in the theater district. ViceVersa is a popular Italian in the theater district that has a $35 prix fixe and their regular menu also has entrees at around $20 (but some are more).

For your other dinners, I'd head out of midtown.
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

mclaurie - I believe it may have been you who recommended Maria Pia to us in the past. I guess close by is a relative term and we really don't mind walking or taking a cab to another area. I just wasn't looking for ideas as distant as Little Italy or Tribeca.
The Plaza isn't our usual level of accomodations and we were totally unfamiliar with that area. Any other places you may think of would be welcomed.
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 12:24 PM

Unfortunately, there's very little that's close to the Plaza, at least among restaurants that charge $20 for entrees. (That's even a little low for Viceversa, where most entrees other than pasta are more like $25). Most of the cheaper restaurants are in Hell's Kitchen (around 9th Avenue, near Roberto Passon, for example).

Etcetera etcetera (same owners as Viceversa) is in the west 40s and has really good prices on half-portions of pasta. One of those and a full appetizer (and perhaps a shared dessert) makes a great pre-theater meal.

I also like Marseille for southern-Mediterrenean cuisine, though almost all of the entrees are over $20. But they have an excellent prix-fixe, and this is what I'd recommend for your pre-theater meal.

The Modern is close to the Plaza and can be done reasonably if you stick to the Bar room and order judiciously. Almost everything is $20 or below, but the portions are small, so you have to order more than 1 thing, though a couple of small plates is enough for me with a shared dessert. Wines there are all $50 and below for a bottle right now, which is a good deal for New York if you are a wine drinker. Reservations must be made there at least a week or two in advance, though.

There are some good but reasonably priced restaurants in Hell's Kitchen. Check out Eatery (upscale diner food), Wondee Siam (Thai), Rice and Beans (Brazilian), and Film Center Cafe (basic American fare plus some Mexican dishes). Most of these restaurants are between 44th and 52nd Streets on 9th Ave. That's about a 20-minute walk from the Plaza. But there's nothing wrong with Brooklyn Diner or La Bonne Soupe.

Going east you're just not going to find that much.

Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 12:54 PM

We've eaten at both the Brooklyn Diner and Film Center Cafe and were pleased with both of them. Not haute cuisine, just good food. Brooklyn Diner serves my all-time favorite macaroni and cheese (and good chicken parmigiana, too). Film Center Cafe is in an interesting neighborhood (Hell's Kitchen), and has a nice "vibe" at a very moderate price.
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 03:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your help. The $20 wasn't a limit, but I don't feel I need to spend $50 either. I guess we'll just venture out a little farther than I expected.
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 04:59 PM

I just read in today's WSJ that Nougatine (the casual part of Jean-Georges) is serving 3 course dinners for $35. It's on Central Park West off Columbus Circle and the food is very good. If you can get in, I would dine there on a night that you're not going to theater.
Old Jan 24th, 2009, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Centralparkgirl - Thanks for the heads up, I'll look into Nougatine.
Old Jan 24th, 2009, 12:26 PM

You're welcome HarryR. If it doesn't work, you might want to consider a leisurely lunch at Nougatine. Year round, they serve a $24 3 course lunch - great value for a Jean-Georges meal. If the weather's good you can walk back to the Plaza through the southern end of Central Park.

I know Roberto Passon is very popular with Fodorites, but I had brunch there recently. And on my classic pannini of mozzarella, tomato and basil was mayo! The waiter tried to convince me that this was 'Italian.' I sent it back.
Everyone else liked what they ordered.
Old Jan 24th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Original Poster

Centralparkgirl - When we ate at Roberto Passon I tried the shank either veal or lamb and it was so fatty and tough as to be inedable. By the time my replacement meal finally came I had it packed as everyone else had finished dining and had dessert!
Old Jan 25th, 2009, 10:07 AM

From the Plaza, it would be very easy for you to walk over to Columbus Circle, where you have access to several subway lines. Many of the great little restaurants on the UWS are a quick hop up the 1 or B/C trains.

One of our favorite neighborhood places is Fred's, which is great for brunch or dinner. You can also buy a Restaurant.com gift certificate for Fred's.
http://www.fredsnyc.com/

Other good brunch spots are Good Enough To Eat, Popover Cafe, and Isabella's.
Old Jan 25th, 2009, 01:57 PM

Also there is a subway station virtually under the Plaza--N, R, W that will take you quickly to any downtown area.
Old Jan 25th, 2009, 02:11 PM

Nougatine for the quality and service is one of NYC best values.

Brooklyn Diner never would have made it in Brooklyn. And La Bonne soup is a good place for lunch when other places are crowded.

For a quick lunch I prefer the Belgian chain Le Pain Quotidien. Do not forget the excellent, if not overpriced fudgy brownie.

Old Jan 27th, 2009, 04:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again to you all. Your help has made this visit much easier to plan.