Planning for Virginia/Pennsylvania 4 days

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 01:09 PM
Michelle

Hi All,
We're flying into Dulles (arriving 4:45) on July 3rd and have 4 days before our DC reservations kick in on July 8th. What is the best plan for July 4 - 7th? I booked a hotel in Gettysburg for July 4th (apparantly justifiably fearful of them booking early, but could cancel it), and thought we could drive from Dulles to Gettysburg the evening of July 3rd. Spend the 4th there and leave morning of July 5th. I don't know if we should stay in PA or move south. My husband is a history teacher, so that is our focus. A plan I'm thinking of is:

July 4th -- Gettysburg
July 5th -- Antietam, Harper's Ferry, some or all of VA's Skyline drive -- stay somewhere along there -- suggestions?
July 6th -- arrive in Charlottesville--time to see some of the city?
July 7th -- tour Monticello (will this take all day?)and Montpelier
July 8th -- drive to Washington, DC.

We are staying in DC until July 31st, and we definitely plan to take time to visit Williamsburg, Jamestown, Virginia Beach (staying in Williamsburg). We thought we would take 4 or 5 days for this area later in the month -- long enough or too long?

I've used this forum before and you are all great advisors. Thank you in advance!

Michelle

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 09:05 AM
Peggy

Wow! What a great trip! It's good you aren't trying to spend the 4th in DC. Way too crowded. But there is going to be a folk life festival on the mall the beginning of July that will be incredible. This year it's The Silk Road. Lots of Asian exhibits and culture. I can't wait to go. Check washingtonpost.com for help in planning your trip.

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 10:41 AM
Michelle

Thanks Peggy. We'll look forward to it!
Michelle

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 11:02 AM
Clara

Sounds like a great trip!

Monticello only took a few hours. Iw as there in April a few years ago. We had to stand in line for two hours to go in, and then we were shuffled through the house very quickly. YOu can visit the gardens and yard at your own pace. I would think it would be even more crowded in July.

Antietam is a quick tour- basically, you'll spend half an hour in the visitor's center, and then drive around the battlefield. IMHO, not much else to see or do. Once you've seen one battlefield, you've seen them all. (No offense meant...)

Harper's Ferry can easily be turned into a full day's adventure- there are lots of great hiking trails around the area.

SKyline Drive in beautiful and well worth seeing (if it is a clear day.) hmm.. then again, even if it ISN'T a clear day, it is still pretty.

There are a few caverns along the way. You'll see tons of signs. They make it look cheesy and touristy, which is why I never went. We decided to stop in one on the way home from Shenandoah last summer, and we just loved seeing the caverns! I'd never been in one before, so I was impressed. (I'm easily impressed though....)

Have a great time! It sounds like a wonderful plan.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 05:25 PM
kk

You might consider visiting Monticello on July 4th. They usually do a ceremony that allows people to become citizens of the USA. I'm not quite sure of what it is called. It is very moving and inspiring!! Call and see if it is planned for this year.

The tour is quick, you only get to see one floor, which consists 5 rooms. The rest is self guided......basement, gardens, etc.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 06:04 PM
carolyn

Your trip sounds perfect!

I've never been to Charlottesville, so I don't know how much time you should truly spend there--a day will probably be fine.

Monticello can be done in less than a day.

4 0r 5 days will be good for the end of the trip; one day in Williamsburg, on e in Jamestown, 2 at the ocean, sounds perfect!

Old May 3rd, 2002, 08:26 AM
dan woodlief

I have to disagree about Antietam and battlefields, but of course we all are entitled to our own opinions. As I said on another post of your's, it is indeed something that can be seen in a few hours. However, of the 25 or so battlefields I have visited only Gettysburg can equal Antietam. Most battlefieds include a few monuments, if any, and a few cannons. Antietam is very authentic and not overly touristed. Many of the same farms are there, along with the cornfields (even if somewhat smaller than during the war), and many structures remain. Even the town is not all that different from 1862. It is still very small. Just try finding many places to eat.

Old May 3rd, 2002, 09:50 AM
Lee

You'll get to catch the annual Battle of Gettysburg re-enactment on July 4!

Old May 5th, 2002, 08:43 PM
Michelle

Thanks to ALL -- and Dan, your web site is great!! You've all been so very helpful.

Michelle

Old May 6th, 2002, 02:15 AM
SueOz

We just came back from a trip that included the Skyline Drive. The Skyland Lodge is a parkway lodge and was basic but had beautiful views and a full service restaurant that was not bad. Lots of lovely hiking around there is you like that. Would stay there again.

Monticello can easily be done in a morning, but it is very nice. Michie Tavern - don't do lunch - a tourist trap!