Planning a Trip through New England

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2004, 09:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a trip in late Sept. - early Oct. through NE with my father (82), and aunt and uncle (in their 70's) They will be driving across Canada from Montana, and I will fly out fron CA, and meet them probably in Buffalo. Some of the places we want to see are Niagra Falls, Cooperstown, Hyde Park (Roosevelt Library), NYC. I think we should do NY first, then go up through Massachusetts, Vermont, NH, Maine, and back down to Boston, where I will fly home. Those of you who are from that part of the country, does this sound reasonable? Is it possible to leave our car in Poughkeepsie, or somewhere, and take a train into NYC, rather than worry about driving and finding a place to park? We plan to be there only 2 nights.
I would really appreciate any advice any of you may have.
Thanks so much!
Barb

Old May 17th, 2004, 10:48 PM

Sounds like a reasonable plan. For NYC parking, for just 2 nights, I suggest you just bite the bullet and park at the hotel or near it. Not worth the trouble for 4 people (including 3 elderlies) to transfer to public transportation with luggage.
Old May 18th, 2004, 03:29 AM

Agree on not training into the city. This would require treking through the station with the luggage at the first train station, then doing it again at Grand Central to the cab. (I would definitely not recomend the subway with luggage - way too many stairs.)

For only two nights your savings wouldn;t be tht great either - given 4 train tickets plus the cab fares.
Old May 18th, 2004, 03:43 AM

I agree with the above, just park in the city for the 2 days.

Your jaunt through 4 New England states sounds delightful, though if I were planning it, I'd probably skip Maine. How many days are allocated for that part of the trip?

As you're probably aware, it will be the height of the foliage season, just lovely. But because of that, you shold book your accommodations soon.
Old May 18th, 2004, 04:08 AM

It is easier to drive into NYC than it is to drive into Boston. In both cases, we just leave the car in the hotel parking lot/garage. I would check beforehand, however, about the distance to the parking garage. When we stayed at a suite hotel in the Seaport area of NYC, the underground garage was a few blocks away. I was not comfortable having the driver walk by herself. Check to see if valet parking is available. Early October is lovely in New England but, as another poster pointed out, make your reservations now. Also, avoid routes like the Kancamagus Hwy in NH's White Mountains on weekends. Traffic in NH typically backs up on Rt 93 from the Hooksett toll booths north to Concord and further because Rt 89 traffic from VT is feeding into Rt 93 just south of Concord on Sunday afternoons.
Old May 18th, 2004, 06:57 AM

check out newengland.com for travels routes. Its the website for Yankee magazine and no one covers New England better. I live here and refer to it all the time.

If you are looking for a place to stay on the coast check out Wentworth by the Sea in New Castle NH. Stayed recently and loved it. Its an old grand hotel that was recently renovated. Also check out the Mt. Washington Hotel - pricey but also very nice. Its in Bretton Woods NH. If you don't stay there check out the view from the porch. The view can't be beat.

Glad to hear you are going to Niagara Falls. Its one of my favorite places - just for the Falls themselves - not all the tacky stuff around it. Try having a meal at the TAble Rock restaurant. Its run by the Canadian Park service. The food is decent but the views are spectacular
Old May 20th, 2004, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

I think I've decided to try and drive into NYC. Do you have any tips? I've just heard how crazy it is. I'm used to driving in LA. How does it compare?

Thanks!
Old May 20th, 2004, 12:25 PM

If you're used to driving in LA, you'll have no trouble in NYC. Plan your route in advance, don't "block the box" (i.e., get stranded in an intersection when the light changes), avoid rush hours if possible; you'll be fine.
Old May 21st, 2004, 11:49 AM

I'm from New England, so here's my advice on that part of the trip: absolutely book your accomodations a.s.a.p. Foliage season is the busiest tourist se..ason, believe it or not. I too, would probably skip Maine, if what you're lookikng for is foliage. I think MA and NH have a better selection of lodging and dining establishishments, and other attractions of visual and historical interest. (check out the Mt. Washington Valley in NH!) I am pretty familiar with greater Boston and New Hampshire, don't hesitate to ask away as you plan your trip!
Old May 21st, 2004, 02:21 PM

Well, you could indeed park your ar in Poughkeepsie (where our son lives) and take a train down to the City. You can then come back and resume your touring. People don't drive around in NYC if they can help it.

Lots to see in the Hudson River area nd of course in New England and we will be there again this summer with daughter in new home in Amesbury, MA.

Good luck.

Bill in Missouri
[email protected]