Planning a College Visit to NYC 2/14 - 2/17

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am still planning DS2's short New York trip to visit colleges. Operating on the "while we're there we might as well" principle I've may have completely overdone it:

2/14
Arrive in Newark and make our painful way over. Drop luggage at Grand Hyatt

10am Columbia University tour

2pm Billy Elliott (Imperial)

8pm Uncle Vanya (Classic Stage Company)

2/15

11am Choral Eucharist at Cathedral of St. John the Divine

3pm The 39 Steps (Helen Hayes)

2/16

10am Rutgers Info session/tour /New Brunswick NJ

4pm Tisch School of the Arts, info session for prospective drama students

2/17

11:45 Julliard info session/ tour

1pm NYU general info session /tour

3:45p Leave for Newark

6:45p Flight home

Calling all New Yorkers: have I lost my mind? Should I use public transportation to get to New Brunswick on a Monday morning or hire a car service?

Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 09:59 AM

It will all be a big blur. You don't say how long any of these info sessions last so it's impossible to say whether it's even doable. The worst looks like

You also don't tell us which of these your daughter is really serious about and which are "while we're in the 'hood.." That will make a difference if you have to leave early.

Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 10:08 AM

Is that even physically possible? How long is the Julliard session/tour?
Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

The Julliard session lasts about 1 hour. If we leave early we'll just make it to NYU as the session is starting. The tour is actually more important for our son than the info session because he will have met with representatives from the Drama department the day before, and although you have to go through the regular university admissions as a Tisch student the process is a little different.

The "dispensible" portion of the trip is the Columbia info session/tour. Columbia doesn't have a BFA conservatory arts program; it has a BA with a major in theater arts---a whole different animal. Right now he's leaning towards the conservatory approach, which explains the other three schools. SUNY Purchase also has a very good program but there is no way we could fit that in. They are reputed to also have a vicious cut system (as do a few other schools). Once you are cut (and they never tell anyone why) you have to start your program all over again at a different school, because the approaches to performance are so different.

On spring break we are visiting Carnegie Mellon, Boston University, Emerson, and another school I can't even remember at the moment. He's applied for summer school at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts in London as a regular student, and if he loves it there that will be another choice. Of course, he may decide after the summer (if he's accepted) to just bag the whole thing and go into environmental chemistry, which is his other interest.

In the fall we may visit Northwestern, and along the summer and fall we'll be driving to schools in the south that we can see in a day.

Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 10:27 AM

For 2/14: What time are you arriving in NYC? You do realize that the Hyatt is in midtown and Columbia is way uptown. Will you daughter want to spend any time checking out the theatre dept.--which is really a joint major at Barnard? Doesn't she want some time to check out the area and get a feel for things? THEN--you will book it back to midtown and see a matinee, have a few hours for eating and then another show. I'm exhausted already. But that part is doable--unless snowy weather foils your travel plans. On 2/15 you are going waaaayyyy back uptown (Columbia U area) to hear the Choral Eucharist? Don't do it, unless that is something you absolutely HAVE to do. Why not tour the cathedral the day before and skip the concert? As for getting to/from Rutgers, I think it's an easy trip. I would look at Rutgers' website for info. Private car service will be very, VERY expensive. 2/16--Looks OK, but I would try to tour NYU that day. 2/17: way too compressed. I've been there, done that with 2 college kids and these sessions always run a little over. What if your daughter has questions? It's going to be hard to get over to NYU from Lincoln Center area with so little time to spare. You must also be aware that the odds of getting into Juilliard are pretty slim. Also, all the other schools you are looking into have a strong academic component. Julliard does not. Have your daughter (and you) decide which route you want her education/theatre training to go. When/if she comes back to NYC to audition for Juilliard, she can then take a tour. Or, she can tour it if/when after she gets accepted. Tisch also invites accepted students back to tour, so you can do that another time. Good luck.
Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 10:36 AM

I don't see how you can do the Julliard session, and then get to NYU. If your son is interested in Julliard, he may have questions to ask, areas he wants to see that were passed on the tour, and you have left yourself no time to actually get the feel of the neighborhood where the schools are. Sometimes that is just as important as the school itself. I would definitely go back and look over your schedule and revise it. Isn't there another day you could do the NYU general tour?

Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 10:37 AM

Sorry--didn't realize that you have a SON--not a daughter. Break a leg, anyway!
Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

Both the NYU and Julliard tours fill up almost immediately. In fact, he's waitlisted for the Julliard tour, so we booked the NYU one---which is the ONLY available NYU session while we are there. There won't be a lot of time for questions; they really move these sessions right along. We've planned to be late to the NYU session or skip it entirely; the important thing is to make it for the tour at 2pm.

The 4pm Tisch info session the day before is the really important one for NYU.

I've left a message at Columbia asking if they have anywhere for us to leave our luggage. If not, we may just have to drag it around with us! The tour at 11 is the most important part, again, and I'm sure we'll make that.

We are Episcopaliams and just wanted to attend church at St.JtheD; I'm not that interested in a tour.

This is more of a preliminary kind of trip---a sort of "do I like this enough to even apply?" If he applies and auditions he'll be back up there in the fall--unless the unifieds (auditions) has a location closer to us.

Cinart, we're aware of the singular focus at Julliard; that's what he will encounter at RADA, too. He'll know soon enough if that's what he wants to do after a summer of it. It's a truly wonderful program, though, and different in style and nature from the NYU process of farming the students out to six or seven studios for a couple of years.

We don't know that much about Rutgers except that it has a good reputation and the program incorporates a year in London. I am personally leaning towards Carnegie Mellon, if he can get in, but ultimately the decision is his.
Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 11:17 AM

My knowledge of NJ Transit is limited, but isn't Rutgers just off the NJ Turnpike? It might be easier just to rent a car and drive.

The Classic Stage Company has a wonderful intimate theatre. Uncle Vanya has a great cast and a great director. The theatre is also across the street from the newest NYU dorm, the Palladium.

I agree there is no way you will make the NYU tour, especially if your son has questions about Julliard. The other problem is just getting downtown. A cab may or may not be the fastest way. Otherwise walk to Columbus Circle and take the A,B, or D to West Fourth. Go to the front of the train because the NYU tour starts at the Gould Center which is on West 4th.
Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Adu. We'll probably take the subway to NYU instead of trying to find a cab.

Rather than renting a car I would prefer to hire a service to take us to New Brunswick unless the train will be faster. I have all but given up on the idea that this was going to be an inexpensive trip. However, I DID get $176 RT tickets from Atlanta AND got the Grand Hyatt on priceline for $137; half-price tickets for 39 Steps (which I think is going to be the highlight of his trip) and $15 off each Uncle Vanya ticket. And we really won't have the time or energy for expensive meals, so we'll save on those.
Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 11:43 AM

Car Service to New Brunswick will be a couple of hundred dollars each way.

What time does your plane arrive that you're planning to drop luggage and get to Columbia by 10 am? You would have to be on the ground by 8 am at the absolute latest - and have only cary-ons - and even then I'm not sure you'll make it.
Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 12:17 PM

Best of luck to your son, kswl - I have a son in Tisch right now.
Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 12:18 PM

Here is a list of inexpensive restaurants, many within walking distance of NYU and the Class Stage Company

Indian-Brick Lane-Banjara, Mitali, Brick Lane

Inexpensive Italian- La Marca (3rd Ave. and 22 Street, only opened noon-10 PM, Mon-Fri)

Medium priced Italian- Cacio e Pepe, Gnocco, Supper (cash only), Luzzos (Wood burning pizza oven)

Expensive Italian- I Coppi (For dinner But great brunch

Inexpensive Eastern European- Veselka

French Bistro-Cafe Deville, Casimir, Flea market (for atmosphere)

Greek-Pylos

Tapas-Xunta. Bar Carrera, Café Mono (more expensive)

Dessert-Veniero's, DeRobertis for the frozen lemon thing and tortonis.

Bagels- Ess-a-Bagel

Brunches-Five Points, Zoe's, Blue Ribbon Bakery ,Turkish Kitchen , City Bakery (18th off 5th), Cafecito (Ave C), Clinton Street Bakery ,

Pizza-Lombardi's, Pizza Fresca

Hole in the wall-Stage (next to Stomp) great cheap home made soups

French fires-Pomme Frites

Noodles and dumplings-Momofuku , (we were not impressed with dimpling man on St. Marks.)

Seafood-Mermaid Inn

Ice Cream-Cones on Bleecker, Australia, Il Laboratorio de Gelato, Chinatown Ice Cream Factory, Cones and Sundaes (East 10th)

Chinatown-Big Wong. Joe’s Ginger, NY Noodletown

Dim Sum-Jing Fung, Golden Unicorn

Jewish Delis-2nd Ave Deli, Katz’s

Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 12:19 PM

kswl,
Off the NYC topic--just make sure that when your son compiles his final college app list, that he finds a few safeties and less competetive programs. The theatre BFAs are so difficult to get into. For example--I know firsthand that CMU auditions over 1000 and admits around 20. But he's got an entire year to work on all that. Now, enjoy your time in NYC and hope for good, snow-free weather!
Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 12:31 PM

It's easy enough to take a NJ Transit train from Penn Station NY to New Brunswick NJ for Rutgers. Ride takes about an hour.

I haven't been there in several years, but if the train station is too far from the campus, you can call a cab from the train station.

That Monday is a holiday, so make sure you check the train schedules carefully.
Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 12:32 PM

New Brunswick is an easy train ride on NJ Transit. The train station is right in the middle of town and rather close to the school.

The express train is really quick, about a 15 minute ride and it goes from New Brunswick to Newark Airport. Try and hop that train if you can otherwise it is an hour train ride.
Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 12:37 PM

I'm also wondering how you arrive on the 14th and get to Columbia by 10 am.
The 17th seems way too rushed too.

When I did this - twice with two sons, I found that when I overscheduled, they didn't care for the last school we visited. There's only so much that can be absorbed on a visit and each school and the campus requires time to take it all in.

btw, the 16th is President's Day and traffic should be light. Also, trains may not run as frequently so check schedules carefully.
Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 12:47 PM
mp

kswl - so funny you're seeing Uncle Vanya and The 39 steps - those are the first 2 productions my son's HS drama class saw this year. He really liked both - the Vanya in particular is a terrific production - but be forewarned, it is 2 hours and 40 minutes - that's a lot on a whirlwind tour, particularly if you are seeing a play earlier in the day.

Is it only the 2 of you? If there is a 3rd person, perhaps that traveler can skip Columbia, and take the bags to the Hyatt - just take a cab into Manhattan, drop you and DS2 at the 7th Avenue subway - downtown at the Canal Street station would work - traveler 3 goes in the cab to the hotel and checks in, you 2 travel up to 116th St., about a 20 minute ride from Canal St.

Just a suggestion . ..

A neighbor's daughter was just accepted into the Theatre dept./costume design at Rutgers - a very good program. But I think just renting a car would be easiest, given the early morning session.
Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 01:08 PM

While the 15th and 16th are insanely crowded and optimstic, I think your itineraries on the 14th and 17th are not physically possible. You certainly have to bring your luggage along to Columbia, and then I still don't think you can make it by 10. When does your flight arrive?

Since the 14th is a Saturday, I'd recommend taking the Airtrain into Penn Station and then hopping in a cab to go up to Columbia. It's the only possible way you'll make it for less than $150 (you do NOT want to take a cab from EWR and go all the way to Columbia, though that would be the fastest way). You might price out a car service BY THE HOUR that would pick you up at EWR and drive you straight to Columbia (Dial 7 might or might not do that). You'd pay about $120 + $8 for the tunnel fare. You'll cut that by 2/3 by taking the train into Penn Station.

Absolutely definitely take NJ Transit to New Brunswick on the 16th, but be sure to check the train schedules carefully; not all trains after rush hour are express.

I don't see how you're going to physically do all you want to do on the 17th. That's a Tuesday and you will be fighting traffic all the way. Definitely bring the luggage with you all the way.

Pack light because you're going to have to tote the luggage all the way to Columbia as well as to Julliard and NYU.
Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 01:15 PM

Doug, a car service such as Dial7 or Carmel will take you from Newark Airport to Columbia University for MUCH less than $150--should be about $60-70.
Of course, we're back to figuring out what time the plane lands ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -