Places to stay in Ogunquit to cheer friend up

Sep 15th, 2004, 06:40 PM
Original Poster

Places to stay in Ogunquit to cheer friend up

Six of us are treating a friend who's undergoing cancer treatment to a fall weekend in Ogunquit (her choice). Need a really special place with room for all of us to gather, preferably in front of a fire! Individual rooms are ok if there's a central gathering spot, or we could rent a house. Any recommendations?
Sep 15th, 2004, 07:27 PM

Don't know where to stay as it's a day trip for us but a special night out to eat would be, "Arrows,"reservations a must. Be warned, expensive.
Sep 15th, 2004, 08:40 PM

You might want to have a look at the Cliff House. To my recollection, there is a fireplace in the lobby lounge (where there is also live music).

There's actually a New England tour guide: Fireside Guide To New England Inns & Restaurants, by Betsy Wittemann.
Sep 15th, 2004, 09:46 PM

YOu might look at the York Harbor Inn just up the road from Ogunquit. You could book one or more of the deluxe rooms that have a fireplace and a deck. The restaurant is terrific, and the continental breakfast delicious. The website has pretty good descriptions of all the different room choices.
Sep 16th, 2004, 12:19 PM
gyppielou

Here are a few places you can inquire with that may meet your needs
ocean dunes condos 207-646-2946
Sparhawk 207-646-5562
seachanbers.com
beachmereinn.com
blueshutters.com
yellow monkey 207-646-9056
best wishes
g

Sep 16th, 2004, 07:24 PM
gyppielou

ttt

Sep 17th, 2004, 04:56 PM
Syl

I 2nd the Sparhawk. Gorgeous location on the Marginal Way. Enjoy.
Sep 17th, 2004, 05:17 PM

You must try the Sparhawk. A room with an ocean view is very soothing; At high tide, with the water beneath the room, you almost feel as if you are on a cruise. The hotel is located right on Marginal Way and walking distance to the center of town. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful.
Sep 17th, 2004, 05:27 PM

Beachmere Inn on the Marginal Way has some rooms with fireplaces and great decks. Perhaps you could get a couple of those and visit back and forth. Sparhawk is very nice but I don't think they meet the fireplace requirement. Sea Chambers has some very nice rooms and I believe a fireplace in their common living room. It's also on the Marginal Way so great view of the ocean. Another possibility is Rockmere Lodge---- a b and b on the marginal way--old victorian. I forget if they have a fireplace but the two owners are wonderful and very accomondating.

Our favorite restaurant is 98 Provence on Shore Rd. We've been to Arrows and it is excellent but VERY expensive. We think the food at Provence is superb and while not cheap by a long shot, a better value.

What a great thing you are doing for your friend. I hope you all have a great time.
Sep 18th, 2004, 07:39 AM
gyppielou

find anything beachbaby?