Search

New Years in a New England B&B with a restaurant

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Years in a New England B&B with a restaurant

Folks,

Spent last New Years at a wonderful B&B in Woodstock, VT where they had moderate prices and a wonderful restaurant (Lincoln Inn at Covered Bridge). Looking to repeat that vacation somewhere in southern or mid New England (VT, NH, MA or ME).

Thoughts, please.

Thanks.
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 02:27 PM

http://www.echolakeinn.com/
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 02:50 PM

You might also check out Longfellow's Wayside Inn, Sudbury or Wayland, Mass. Don't know if they "do" New Year's, but the chapel and gristmill nearby are charming.

http://www.wayside.org/
Old Aug 28th, 2010, 07:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
True B&Bs don't usually have restaurants so you're probably better off searching "inns"...the restaurant technically qualifies the place as a "small inn" not a B&B.

www.snowvillageinn.com
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 01:08 PM

Not sure what their plans are for New Year's, but Chapman Cottage, York, Maine has truly lovely, lovely rooms, and their chef/owner offers fabulous dinners. (Yes, it IS a B&B, too, so they offer wonderful breakfasts, as well.)

We've stayed there several times, and have enjoyed some wonderful dinners -- and breakfasts, too -- but not on New Year's. I can only suggest you check their web site and/or call them.

We once had reserved 3 nights there, over Valentine's Day, and just happened to be there during a HUGE New England snowstorm! (We had 30 inches of snow back home in Vermont!)

It was wonderful. We had stocked up on "goodies" the day before, knowing the storm was coming, so we were able to relax in our spacious room all day. I confess that we felt felt a bit smug to be able to waltz down the stairs to our reserved table for Valentine's Day dinner, with the storm howling outside! (Surprisingly, they were almost full that night for dinner, too, despite the weather. Maine folks are hardy...)

Happy New Year in advance!
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 01:11 PM

By the way, if you check their web site, you'll see that their off season rates are VERY reasonable. Again, whether or not that includes New Year's, I cannot say.

Good luck!
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 04:51 PM

Chapman Cottage, I think, serves dinner, but it does not have a "restaurant". Just a couple of choices for dinner.
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 04:13 AM

I feel like I answered this question already, but I can't find it... in any case, how about the Old Inn on the Green in Western Mass. I can't speak for their accomodations, but the food is excellent, and the dining room is charming and cozy.

Another place that might work is the Sunset Hill House in New Hampshire: http://www.sunsethillhouse.com/. Although the room we had there was a little worn around the edges, that was several years ago, and judging by their website they have updated quite a bit. The food was good, and the views quite lovely.
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 07:55 AM

divineMissM:

Unless they've changed in the last year or so, Chapman Cottage DOES serve several LOVELY dinners, but usually only on weekends. Had you been there for dinner recently?

Here's the web site for their menu/dining info:

http://chapmancottagebandb.com/dining.htm
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 08:02 AM

you there, spedprof? Any feedback on our suggestions?
Old Sep 6th, 2010, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

Sorry folks,

Been babysitting for grandkids. Appreciate the suggestions and will check each out. We thoroughly enjoyed the stay at the Lincoln in at Covered Bridge, if anyone else is interested.

Thanks again.

Spedprof
Old Sep 6th, 2010, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Folks,

Chapman appears to be booked... we need two rooms but the others are inviting. I need to contact them to se if they will be serving dinner on New Years Eve. Last year, it was so convenient to just come downstairs to a lovely dinner and not worry about driving around.

Thanks again.

Spedprof
Old Sep 7th, 2010, 02:37 AM

Sorry about Chapman Cottage! Yes, I checked after suggesting it and saw just one suite still available back then.

How about York Harbor Inn, also in York, Maine? Just another idea!

Check http://www.yorkharborinn.com/lodging/lodginghome.htm
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 06:31 AM

Another suggestion for you - the Waybury Inn in East Middlebury VT (www.wayburyinn.com) It is a charming old stagecoach inn with nice rooms, a lovely dining room and a pub. They do serve New Year's Eve dinner. The facade of the inn was used as the opening shot on the Bob Newhart Show.