Help me choose one of these B&B's in Southern Maine

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2007, 08:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've finally got it narrowed it down to these 4 B&B's. They all look nice and get good reviews on Tripadvisor. We'll be in the area Sept 19-21 if that makes any difference.

2 in York....
Chapman Cottage (my favorite, but read a few iffy reviews)
Morning Glory Inn
(York Harbor Inn is booked)

2 in Ogunquit...
Gazebo Inn
Rockmere Inn

FYI, we are a 50 something couple looking for a few days of eating lobstah and chowdah and relaxing before spending a week in NYC. We will be driving up from Boston and will probably spend 1 day just exploring and driving as far as Portland.

Are there any thoughts about these specific places in terms of location? First hand knowledge of these inns?

Thanks!
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 03:31 AM

The people who own the Morning Glory Inn used to own another where I stayed and they were very good at it. I am sure this one is just as good, just a bit out of the way location wise..not far though. Chapman Cottage looks very nice and has a restaurant/martini bar that seems quite popular. We used to stay at Tanglewood Hall Bed & Breakfast before we had access to our own condo again (it was rented). It was great, and a wonderful location. It does get good reviews too. I would go for that - JMHO. We have owned just around the corner from there for 20 years so very familiar with all. The cliff walk is spectacular! from Tanglewood it is an easy walk around to 2 beaches, shops, a few places to eat, etc... Be sure to make an advance reservation from dinner at Chef Mimmo's....a wonderful BYOB Italian place right across from Long Sands Beach. Reservations are a must!
Old Aug 14th, 2007, 12:22 AM

Forget York Harbor Inn. We used to stay there, but they are too big, and you can never be sure just what kind of a room you'll get! For the same money, we've had GREAT rooms and then again at other times we have been stuck in a POOR one -- for the same rate!

We just returned from another trip to York, Maine and another stay at Chapman Cottage. It was lovely as always there. Paul is a great chef, Donna was gracious as always, and the rooms are lovely (truly luxurious). If you can get a room there, grab it.

I'll post again later today with the name of the room we had this time, but they all welcome you with two stemmed glasses and a little carafe of fine sherry, fresh fruit, and two yummy chocolate truffles by the bed!
Old Aug 14th, 2007, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Retired,

Thanks for the tip about Chapman Cottage. It is actually my first choice to stay, but then I read some reviews about the owners going to bed early and being very surly about any comings and goings after 10:00 pm. Not that we are night owls or anything, but I sure don't want to feel as though I'm intruding on them or anything. I would hate to feel like I'm at my mom's house with a strict curfew. Any feedback on that?
Old Aug 14th, 2007, 01:40 PM

Two words - Tanglewood Hall...and I am a very picky innkeeper myself! Not in Maine of course.
Old Aug 15th, 2007, 02:59 AM

abqdeb:

FWIW, they serve dinner at Chapman Cottage (he's an excellent chef) Wednesday through Sunday nights.

With the restaurant downstairs, and rooms right up the stairs, they typically clean up and sort of close down around 9:00 or 9:30.

I can testify that it is not appreciated by some of us up in our rooms to have people hollering down there later than say 9:30 or so, but I don't know that they have problems with people coming in late. You'd have to ask them.
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 04:56 AM

Perkin's Cove area in Ogunquit is busy, but once parked, can walk or take the trolley and shop, eat, or go to the beach, all within one mile. No knowledge of the inns you've chosen. Just stayed at the Hartwell House on Shore Road. Offers a gourmet breakfast and tea at 4:00. Is advertised as conference center, but don't be discouraged. . .is intimate, comfortable and close to Perkins Cove where you can sit by the ocean and watch lobster boats come in, or take a boat ride offered through Finestkind Tours.

Lobster dinners can be pricey in Perkins Cove, however, so would recommend Jonathan's (just around the corner on Bourne Lane). Two lobsters (a la carte) for $21.95 (dinner is $31.95). Beautiful gardens to view while dining.

Also, for the best Lobster roll/Chowder go to the Lobster Shack, in the heart of Perkins Cove. Very casual (picnic tables/self service), but well worth it. After, you can walk around, get homemade candy/ice cream/coffee and sit on a bench overlooking the Marginal Way.

We go to Ogunquit every summer for a few days, so have researched quite a bit.
York is quite different, seems to cater more to families with young children, and, in my opinion, more "carnival".

In Ogunquit, you will be happy with the village ambience and the pleasure of having everything close, without having to deal with traffic after driving from Boston.

FYI,I'm 55.

Old Aug 17th, 2007, 06:54 AM

We stayed at the Gazebo Inn about 6 years ago in the main part of the Inn - it looks like some of the rooms have been updated since then. It was nice enough, good breakfast, nice pool to cool off in the backyard. It's a bit outside of town to the north but the trolley stops right in front of the Inn if you don't want to deal with parking.
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all! We are still looking, so keep the ideas coming. Morning Glory does not have the room we want availabel (even though the website showed it availabel), so that is out.

Tanglewood Hall doesn't have TV's in the room (DH insists!), so that's out.

We had been trying to stick with the York area, but maybe we'll reconsider the Ogunquit area.

Do you think mid week in Sept. is very crowded? Are people still on the beach at that time of year? I was afraid Ogunquit would be overrun with tourists, but maybe not.
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 08:08 AM

A couple of years ago we stayed at the Morning Dove Inn in Ogunquit, which was very nice. I have to say that we didn't much like Ogunquit (in August) because it was so crowded. I'm sure it is 100% nicer in September.
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Ruff-- I just reread my post..... available! I DO know how to spell!
Old Aug 18th, 2007, 06:26 AM

Just want to say that "York" and "York Harbor" are like night and day. York is more for families, honky tonk tourist stuff and York Harbor is old mansions, art galleries, museums, fine shops, etc... We have owned in York Harbor for 20 years and rarely venture into York Beach....no need to. This is a vacation home for us and we are early 50's.
Old Aug 18th, 2007, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

thurston,

Thanks for that bit of insight! Having never been there, I was confused by all the different names for what I thought was all one place.

So what is your take on Ogunquit, Kennebunk, Kennebunkport and Wells? Am I missing some really good places? I know from all your posts that you are partial to York Harbor, but since we seem to be having trouble finding a place to stay there for our dates, what would be your second choice?

We are mid 50's and like small inns, but also like our privacy and don't enjoy being hovered over by an innkeeper. We will be out exploring the area (and eating lobster)most of the day and not just relaxing on the deck. We won't use a pool, but a hot tub would be nice (not a priority though). This is for mid Sept in the middle of the week, but still seems to be a popular time judging by how full most of the B&B's are.

I haven't booked anything yet as we are now having difficulty with the apartment we rented in NYC (that's where we're going after Maine, but that's a whole other story!).

Thanks again!
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 04:46 AM

Obviously I am partial to York Harbor and even here right now. It is gorgeous! I hate to venture out though as the tourists are still everywhere. I would not be here now but a niece chose August to get married. September is much nicer...still busy but no where like it is now. At least I am here for a month. We just walk everywhere now and took our usual long cliff walk this morning. I am not expert on Kennebunk, Ogunquit or Wells as we tend to stay here. It is too beautiful to leave! Stage Neck Inn is a great place, not a B&B but right on the water..great food, next to the cliff walk and beach. It is pricey though. I still think Morning Glory or Tanglewood (I know, no TV) would be great.
Old Sep 30th, 2007, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

Hi again! We're back from our wonderful vacation and I just wanted to report that we stayed at the Chapman Cottage and it was terrific! I highly recommend it. We had the least expensive and smallest room in the place and it was very ample and beautiful. The bathroom has a spa shower with jets and is all new. The linens and bed are so comfortable and we had a private deck. Each day we were provided with fresh flowers, fruit, a small bottle of delish sherry and some chocolates in our room! Bathrobes are provided as well. I was in heaven.

The owner is a chef and the breakfasts blew us away! I must admit, the food was a bit over the top and we were full all day. We decided to have dinner there one night and it was excellent. We both ordered the seafood risotto and were thrilled with the dinner.

I highly recommend this place and the town of York Harbor is lovely without the craziness of Ogunquit.
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 04:28 AM

So glad you like "our" York Harbor. It is so unexpectedly quiet and beautiful there. We plan to try Chapman Cottage for food sometime soon...good to hear it was great!
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 05:51 AM

My favorite place in that area is the Stage Neck Inn - they have an all-inclusive package that includes breakfast and dinner. Not super-gourmet but decent quality food for a reasonable amount of money. The view is wonderful - be sure to ask for a harbor view room.
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 08:39 AM

Our place is only a short distance from Stage Neck so no need for accommodations but it does look nice.....pricey though! I have eaten there many times. I especially like overlooking the York Harbor Beach area.