Reload this Page >

Places to stay along CA Coast

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2000, 08:36 PM
Chris

We are celebrating our 5th wedding anniversary with a trip to San Francisco in Mid-August. Would welcome your suggestions for lodging in Monterey, Carmel, Big Sur, Pebble Beach (ie anywhere along Hwy 1). Would also like to know your dining picks in these locations. Just looking for a week's worth of fun/beauty/romance and hoping we've picked the right place. Thanks in advance. CP

Old May 9th, 2000, 10:42 PM
Anna

I don't know what your budget is - but it might be worth splashing out on one night at the Post Ranch Inn, Big Sur (check it out at www.slh.com) - very romantic. The Highlands Inn at Carmel is nice, cheaper than Post Ranch - fireplaces & hot tubs in every suite (also www.slh.com). The Sherman House is a boutique hotel in San Fransisco - again very romantic, if you like small hotels (4 posters etc.) - www.relaischateaux.fr. Each of these has excellent restaurants.

Old May 10th, 2000, 06:32 AM
Gary

In addition to Post Ranch Inn, Big Sur has the Ventana Inn/Spa and Big Sur Lodge (less expensive than the first two). It's rather difficult to get reservations at either Post Ranch Inn or Ventana--especially for the ocean-view rooms--so plan on being flexible if you want to stay there.

Next month, I'm staying in Carmel at a place called "La Playa Hotel", which is old and looks pretty interesting.

All four of these places have web sites.

www.ventanainn.com
www.postranchinn.com
www.bigsurlodge.com
www.uswelcome.com/californ/laplaya.htm

Old May 10th, 2000, 12:16 PM
kam

Gary, La Playa is a nice hotel--think you'll be pleased. Chris, many people would tell you the most romantic place is the Seven Gables or the Green Gables Inn in Pacific Grove. In Carmel, look into the Tickle Pink--yes, that IS the name! Big Sur is beautiful if you want to be out of a town,but much the same feeling can be had by a visit to Pt. Lobos St. Park just south of Carmel. Eat at Fresh Cream in Monterey, but I wouldn't recommend staying in Monterey if you're looking for romantic. La Boheme and Anton and Michel's in Carmel are both romantic and good. The Old Bath House is good in Pacific Grove. Think you've picked a wonderful area to spend your anniversary!

Old May 10th, 2000, 12:44 PM
lisa

Big Sur is the place for romance, and I can personally vouch for Ventana -- we stayed there one night last July, and it was wonderful. Wish we could have stayed longer, but it's VERY pricey. Its restaurant, Cielo, is excellent, We've heard the Post Ranch Inn is even nicer, but the rates there are even steeper.

Carmel and Monterey don't begin to compare -- we found Monterey way too touristy, and Carmel OK for poking around a few shops & restaurants. But the physical beauty of the coast farther south is the perfect romantic setting for celebrating an anniversary.

Old May 10th, 2000, 03:21 PM
fred

It's funny how people interpret "romantic". After 40 years we prefer to be with more people as beautiful as the Big Sur area is. Are you a golfer as your email address implies? If so, you might want to look into the Lodge at Pebble Beach. Regards, Fred

Old May 11th, 2000, 02:05 PM
Chris

Thank you all for your wonderful suggestions! We were able to book the first 4 nights at Ventana and considering several of the places you identified in the Pacific Grove or Monterey areas (maybe Tickle Me Pink or Seven Gables) for the final days. And yes, Fred, I am an avid golfer. But as painful as it's going to be, I'm leaving the clubs at home this time. Chris

Old May 11th, 2000, 02:30 PM
fred

Chris, you could still consider a lunch at the "19th hole" at Pebble and your wife would enjoy the 17 mile drive as well. The course is the one we all love to hate, but keep going back to to be humbled. It's the best of both worlds--golf and ocean scenery.

Old May 12th, 2000, 10:24 AM
lisa

Chris -- Glad to hear you booked Ventana & hope you enjoy it. Try to get there in time for the complimentary wine & cheese in late afternoon -- it's very nice to sit outside and enjoy the scenery -- lots of birds, wildflowers, etc. Also, bring your bathing suits -- they have a lovely pool (with a discreet clothing-optional sundeck) and jacuzzis. Ventana will allow you to borrow CDs from the lobby to use in the sound system in your room, but their selection is not terribly large so you may want to bring a few CDs of your own if you enjoy listening to music while getting ready for dinner, etc. I believe there are also some complimentary activities at Ventana such as hiking, yoga, etc. (probably more info on that on the website) so if you are interested in any of that bring whatever is appropriate. Definitely try to have dinner at least one night at Cielo -- just walking to the restaurant on the lighted path at night through the redwood forest is a magical experience. But there are several other good restaurants in the area that are highly recommended as well (Post Ranch Inn, Nepenthe) so you may not want to eat at Ventana every night. It would be great if you could post a trip report when you get back!

Old May 14th, 2000, 09:18 AM
Bob

We live in the area. One suggestion for the Monterey peninsula: Go to downtown Pacific Grove. It is very close to Monterey and sometimes missed by travelers. It is what Carmel used to be about 30 years ago. They have some nice restaurants on the main street that the tourists don't know about. The Green Gable and 7 Gables are near that area.

Old May 17th, 2000, 01:09 PM
terry

I have to second the Tickle Pink. We had a view I will never forget and saw a whale from our living room.