Reload this Page >

SF-three days-where to stay for cheap and what to do

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2000, 05:01 PM
rahima

Hey everybody. I am coming to SF in June with my parents for 3 days and need a reasonable place to stay (safe and easy access) and need to know what a university students and her parents would like to do in San Francisco?

thanks

Old Apr 14th, 2000, 08:37 PM
kam

It sounds to me if you want a budget type motel that you should look at the places on Lombard Street.Lots of motel/hotels there. Otherwise, check sfgate.com for other hotels.

Old Apr 15th, 2000, 08:04 AM
SFSally

I agree with Kam. Lombard Street. has many fairly inexpensive small hotels and motels. The area is quite safe

Old Apr 15th, 2000, 12:26 PM
Caitlin

I suggest looking at www.timeout.com for suggestions re what to do. They have their full text online.

Old Apr 16th, 2000, 08:12 AM
Daniel

Not to sound like I own stock in this hotel (I don't) since I have recommended it on this forum before, but while working on a project for 3 years in SF, I stayed frequently at the Chancellor Hotel on Union Square. The price is right and the location can't be beat.

Shopping is all around you, the cable car runs right in front of the hotel on Powell St. and can get you to Fisherman's Wharf for a gawk at the seals and a crab roll among other things.

The ferry to Alcatraz is fun, not just for the tour of the island, but for the trip itself and the views it affords of the city and the Golden Gate.

Golden Gate Park is stunning, and it's museums and Japanese tea garden are great.

If you have a car, drive across the Golden Gate Bridge, stopping at the vista points on the Marin County side. Then, head up to Muir Woods for a taste of the redwoods. If time allows, go farther up the coast. (I always suggest taking 101 to Santa Rosa, then cutting over to the coast road - US 1 - via the Russian River road to the Jenner/Bodega Bay area.)

A car is a hassle in the city, but if you rent for one day, you can get around the city for a quick tour of neighborhoods like Pacific Heights and sights like Coit Tower, Lombard St., Palace of Fine Arts, Twin Peaks overlook, etc. before heading out of the city for an afternoon excursion.

If you choose the Chancellor, you will also be within easy walking distance of Chinatown, which is of course a spot not to miss. Try dim sum at Pearl City on Jackson St. (You may be the only non-Asian in the place, but the dim sum is the best and freshest I have ever had, at great prices.)

Old Apr 16th, 2000, 11:35 AM
David

Definitely go to Alcatraz! I would highly recommend calling ahead (internet site will give you #) and get your tickets in advance. It sells out a lot, even on week days.

Old Apr 17th, 2000, 05:58 AM
cecily

Rahima,

I agree with Kam. Lombard Street is a great alternative to Union Square, which can be quite noisy and crowded. I have stayed at the Cow Hollow Motor Inn. The rooms are clean and the rates reasonable. Although they do offer free parking, a car is a hindrance in SF. Take advantage of SF's public transportation system. It is one of the best I have seen.

What to do--
In my opinion, Union Square and Fisherman's Wharf are overrated. That is, unless you want to take advantage of the numerous department store chains which are in abundance in these areas. I enjoyed the Union Street/Cow Hollow area. There is a great variety of unique shops and wonderful restaurants within walking distance of Lombard Street. The ferry was indeed fun. But, instead of visiting dreary old Alcatraz, how about taking the ferry across the bay to sunny Sausalito. You can eat lunch on the water, watch the sailboats, and ferry back to the city in time for dinner. The Greens at Fort
Mason is a wonderful vegetarian restaurant with famous bread and a great view of the Golden Gate bridge. You must visit Golden Gate Park and ride a cable car to complete your San Francisco experience. San Francisco is a beautiful city with so much to offer. I cannot wait to return. Enjoy!

Old Apr 17th, 2000, 08:45 PM
Eve

One day we climbed to the top of a high tower, I believe it was called Coit Tower. Anyway, you will have the most spectacular view of the city. It is on the top of a hill and quite a climb to get there but the view is worth it.
Also, be sure to eat clam chowder out of a bread bowl. Have fun!

Old Apr 17th, 2000, 09:41 PM
Daniel

Lombard St.??? Unless you are talking about the residential area, it is hardly noise free. Not unlike staying on a highway with nothing of particular interest within walking distance. Sure, there are "motels" there, but I would hardly suggest them for a first-time (or even second-time visitor.) And you call Union Square noisy. LOL!

Old Apr 18th, 2000, 12:58 PM
kam

Daniel, I think we were talking about inexpensive hotels in SF, not especially quiet. People from out of town complain about the noise all over the city--that just goes with the territory. I would recommend the Union Street Inn (I believe that the correct name) one block from Van Ness at Union in the "Lombard St. motel area."

Old Apr 18th, 2000, 01:23 PM
kal

Rahima, If you're into coffee drinking and people watching, an outside table at one of the coffee shops on Columbus Ave. in North Beach is a treat. You can see just about everything in a few hours.

Also, in the early morning hours (I walked by around 9 a.m. 2 weeks ago) you can see a ton of people practicing "Tai Chi" in Washington Square.

For some other outstanding views, the top of The Embarcadero Observation deck (there's a charge); have a look around or cocktail/dinner at the Carnelian Room on the top floor of the Bank of America Bldg; ditto Cityscape at the top of the Hilton. We were at both of them over Thanksgiving weekend and the fog/clouds were rolling in a few floors beneath us.!

Have fun, but like any other big city, be careful!
Kal

Old Apr 18th, 2000, 05:09 PM
dougd

My wife and I spent several days in SF last summer. We stayed at the San Remo hotel in the North Beach area. This is a very nice, small European style hotel in a neighborhood that's half way between the North Beach Italian Neighborhood, and Fisherman's wharf. It's very inexpensive. SF is a very beautiful city, with lots to see. Go up in coit tower near sunset for an unforgettable view of the Golden Gate! Chinatown is very interesting and a city in itself. Just watch out for the panhandlers downtown - they're everywhere.

Old Apr 26th, 2000, 01:18 PM
SF Ghost

Dan is the man, Lombard street hotels are tacky and the street is fast with limited public transportation. I think hearing the clinity clack of the Cable Cars are a sound that excites one to knowledge that you are in a unique location. Plus BART and MUNI run many lines from the Union Square area adding to the convienence of the location. Believe me you don't want to rent a car and stay in Union Square. Chinatown, Theatre District (Geary St.) and the exciting SOMA district with the Museum of Modern Art, Yerba Buena Gardens and METREON are all whithin walking distance. The down side is at night the Union Square area can change and you'd be better off not exploring the Tenderloin or Market Street on foot at night. Take cab's. Have fun.

Old Apr 26th, 2000, 02:23 PM
Patrick

No one with a sense of humor should be allowed to visit San Francisco without seeing Beach Blanket Babylon.

Old Apr 26th, 2000, 05:56 PM
sammie

Good post about Beach Blanket Babylon, great show.
The Columbus Motor Inn on Columbus avenue is reasonably priced, clean AAA rated hotel, free parking. Within a couple blocks to cable car lines, Fisherman's wharf.
Buy a cable car pass, ride the 3 lines that are operational.
Lombard St crookedest street in the world, walk it , drive it.
Chinatown walking tours are free.
Alcatraz boat trip is great.
Gorgeous parks, waterfront areas, plan to do lots of walking and you will get the feel of the city.
Fishermans wharf is tacky , restaurants are overpriced but great views of the city. See the seals at Pier 39.

Old Apr 27th, 2000, 04:33 AM
Liz

We stayed at the Lombard St. Motor Inn last year. It wasn't the quietest place in the world because of traffic, but it was quite nice for the price, which included parking. We were able to walk to Fisherman's Wharf and easily took public transportation in the area. I'd stay there again.

Old Apr 27th, 2000, 06:38 AM
Sandy

We stayed here last July and you can't beat the location or price--just a couple of blocks from Chinatown, downtown, and right on the cablecar line. We had one of their newly renovated rooms and paid about $60/night. There's an ad for them at http://www.citysearch7.com.

Grant Hotel, 753 Bush Street, Tel: (415) 421-7540; reservations (800-522-0979); Fax: (415) 989-7719; Email: [email protected]

Old Apr 27th, 2000, 09:26 AM
Sandra

Rahima,

I can recommend the Grant Plaza hotel on Grant St., It's on the edge of ChinaTown and is very reasonable. clean, nice rooms with private baths. Stayed there a few years ago and really enjoyed the atmosphere of being in China Town but close to the business district, North Beach and the trolley's.
Recommend the view from Coit tower, but it is a climb, we did our own tour of China Town from a Frommers guide that was interesting and included a fortune cookie factory and a shrine. We saw elderly residents doing Tai Chai in the park in the early morning. If you do want to do the Alcatraz tour you must get tickets ahead of your visit, I think thru Ticketmaster (we didn't and missed out). We used the Cable cars from Esparado business district on the week end and didn't have to wait in any lines. In the more touristy areas the lines where very long.
It's a wonderful city to walk around in and I'm sure you'll have a great time. Sandra

Old May 13th, 2000, 09:44 AM
susant

Do the last tour of the day at Alcatraz - they let you stay a little longer and it's very atmospheric to be on the island at dusk. Advance reservations are a must.

If you like to hike, Angel Island State Park is also in the bay (just behind Alcatraz). It's called the "Ellis Island of the West" because it was the immigration port of entry. Now it's a really lovely little park. You can hike to the top of the mountain for a spectacular view of the bay area.

Old May 17th, 2000, 01:24 PM
tlegray

Was just recently in SF. Stayed at the Columbus Motor Inn, between North Beach and Fisherman's Wharf. We took our 17 yr old daughter. Had a 2 bedroom suite and parking is free for $150; slept 6. Some of the things she wanted to see was:

Alcatraz-make your reservations now
City Light's Book Store-North Beach
Haight-Ashbury
Sony Metroen-downtown (make sure you go to the upper floors and see the view from the patio that runs the length of the mall
MoMA
Cable Car rides-get the Muni day passes and ride them as much as you like. hang out the side
Coit Tower
China Town and Fortune Cookie Factory
Lombard Street
BART and Berkley
Caffe Greco

these are just some of the things I can think of off the top of my head. check out www.sfvistor.com

Have a great time...we loved it and our daughter now wants to live there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -