Places to eat on Molokai

Search

Places to eat on Molokai

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20th, 2003, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Places to eat on Molokai

We will be staying at the Sheraton on Molokai for 4 nights. Does anyone have some place the recommend we try for lunch or dinner other than our hotel!! We don't want to miss something good!!
Old Sep 20th, 2003, 10:44 AM

Hi Nancy! I think you may be pretty much stuck at the hotel. The hotel food is very good but quite expensive. When we stayed we were on a package but if we were to do a la carte it would have cost about $100/nt for the both of us. The closest thing to the hotel is a greasy KFC around the corner next to the movie theatre. There are a few local places (I stress a few) but hubby and I didn't try them out as it feels all the locals know each other and we may have felt out of place. I'm anxious to hear if anyone else has tried a local restaurant and their experience.
Old Nov 26th, 2003, 07:35 AM

The KFC is gone, and has been replaced by a local restaurant with an assortment of fried foods and Hawaiian specialties. That's it near the Sheraton. If you want to drive 15 miles or so, the Hotel Molokai has the most consistenly reliable selection, though you could also try the Molokai Pizza Cafe, the Molokai Drive-In or Subway. Nothing gourmet here, rest assured.
And what's wrong with eating with locals, Nataliemm? Molokai is known as the Friendly Isle and for good reason. The locals have better things to do than stare at you eat while they eat.
Old Nov 26th, 2003, 08:44 AM

I so enjoyed the shrimp dinner at the Molokai Drive-In. Nothing fancy, but good reasonable food. I was approached by a local curious to know where I came from. She was very nice. I'm not sure if the the Coffee Plantation has lunch, but you should stop up there even if just for a coffee break. Have fun.
Old Nov 26th, 2003, 05:11 PM

We ate at Molokai Pizza Cafe and Subway. The other days we grilled our fish bought from the icehouse by the pier in town. We didn't feel being different by the way the locals treated us. The young lady that worked at the icehouse actually invited us to the high school graduation party that her cousins'. It was on the east side of the island and our condo was on the west side. We didn't want to rish driving after drinking, so we declined. She just met us when I bought poke and fishes there. I felt welcome at Molokai. It was relaxing and very laid back
Old Nov 26th, 2003, 05:57 PM

Why are you picking on my 2 month old response, murrayhill? I did not in any way state that I had a problem eating with locals. My husband is Filipino and I think we would fit in better than most. My comment was that we may feel uncomfortable because we don't know them, and it being a small island most people are well acquainted with each other. I grew up in a small town and know what it is like when everyone knows each other. Visitors may feel uncomfortable. Thus my comment that I would like to hear of the experiences of those who dined at local restaurants. You read something sinister into my comment which was incorrect.
Old Nov 26th, 2003, 08:20 PM

When you posted your comment is irrelevant. Nonetheless, I didn't mean to pick on you and I'm sorry if you felt that way.
I often get the most out of a destination when I can go places where the locals are and get a feel for a destination, rather than in the safe confines provided for tourists.
You were the one who said you might feel out of place. All I was suggesting was it was unlikely you would have experienced that any place you ate on Molokai.