Places to eat in D.C.

Old Jun 10th, 2005, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Places to eat in D.C.

We will be traveling to Washington, DC on a strict budget. What are some places in the tourist area that we could eat fairly inexpensively? Also, we would like to eat out one night at a nice restaurant. Any suggestions? Thanks
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 12:57 PM

If you like Chinese, let me suggest Tony Cheng's Mongolian in Chinatown. In the Adams-Morgan/Dupont area you might like to try Spaghetti Garden, Lauriol Plaza or Julia's Tapernadas. Downtown, McCormick and Shmick's at 16th and K would be good eating at a decent price.
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 01:07 PM
E

If by "tourist area" you mean threMall and the Smithsonian museums, there aer the hot dog stands (don't laugh! They're cheap, and I have eaten more dogs than I care to admit without any ill effect); and nearly all the museums have reasonably-priced cafeterias. The one at the National Gallery of Art is my favorite. I also think there's a good caf in the Capitol somewhere that's open to the public...
As for the nice restaurant, what kind of food do you especially like?
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 03:30 PM

The Brickskellar in Embassy Row is so cool. Down some stairs in a basement - reasonable prices - pub fare.

Also, got to go to the Hotel Washington for a drink on the upper deck patio. It is across the street from the White House and we saw Clinton take off in a helicopter. Great views of secret service guys on top of buildings. Burgers are served on the patio.

Old Ebbitt Grill near the White House is really neat also. You can sit out on the patio and listen to policy makers make policy. A little pricer but not bad for lunch.

Child Herald is a nice outdoor restaurant for a relaxed nice dinner.

Have fun!!
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 07:26 PM

One of the best bargains in Washington is the Old Ebbitt's Express, which is in the atrium of the building that houses Old Ebbitt's.

Great daily specials and a daily pasta for about $4. You can get a nice plate with grilled fish and veggies for about $8. It's casual take-out, but there are tables outside or you can walk a block to Elipse and eat it there.

Breadline is another solid suggestion.

The Smithsonians food options are kind of sketchy: National Gallery is still good, but the food is more interersting at the new Indian museum.

But Air & Space is bleak, dominated by a McD's and Boston Market, although there are slightly better options upstairs. The other museums are nothing to speak of.

For a great variety of cheaper dining, Chinatown has plenty to offer. There are inexpensive food courts at Union Station (which also has B. Smith's) and the Reagan Building.

For a nice meal out, Kinkead's is a solid choice,
Old Jun 12th, 2005, 12:27 PM

I am also planning a trip to DC in July. Thanks for the above suggestions.

Does anyone know of a Spanish restaurant where tapas dishes are served while you can watch the flamenco performance?
Old Jun 12th, 2005, 12:55 PM

I think Jaleo in DC has flamenco
Old Jun 12th, 2005, 01:43 PM

Yes, as in most cities, Chinatown definitely has some bargains! There's a small restaurant there on H Street called Full Kee that's pretty good. Krupin's in Tenleytown is good too. It's a Jewish-type deli/restaurant. It's not real cheap, but it's not bad. I've heard that Breadline is good too, particularly the sandwiches.
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 07:18 AM

Taberna del Alabadera occasionally has flamencas. It's a very expensive restaurant but the food is excellent. I have sentimental attachment to the Brickskeller- I met my future wife there.