Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Place for 20 people to have dinner in Washingto DC.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 02:29 PM
Bill

I'm looking for a fun place either in DC or Bethesda wher a whole bunch of friends with kids can meet for dinner.Nice but not too expensive but not a chain resturant either. About 20 people expected. Place has to like kids.

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 05:27 AM
Rex

Tony Cheng's Mongolian Grill in Chinatown might be a good bet. In Bethesda, I'd recommend Louisiana Express (not too fancy, for sure, but great food) or Benihanas, Japanese food served right before your eyes. A good cook looking for a good tip will shoot shrimp into your mouth. Great fun. Each table seats 8 adults so plan accordingly.

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 05:41 AM
Harriett

Check out Gordon Biersch (www.gordonbiersch.com), a fairly new restaurant located in a gorgeoulsy converted old Riggs Bank building on F Street, very near MCI Center. Food is good, interesting and reasonable, and they have two areas for private parties as outlined on their website. Have fun!

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 07:48 AM
kelly

There is a famous Italian restaurant in Georgetown that would be perfect for the get together you are planning - but I can't remember the name! The food is quite good and the atmosphere is buzzing (also they bring around bottles of after dinner liqueurs for you to partake of on the house - a nice touch). You can watch an older Italian women make pasta in the window of the place and it is always decorated in an eclectic fashion (hundreds of unique stuffed bunnies for Easter, etc.) Can anyone help with the name?

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 08:23 AM
Kristin

I think you're talking about Filomena.

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 09:09 AM
Peter

For a romantic atmosphere and outstanding food, you might try Taberna del Alabadero. It is Basque-Spansih. The paella is out of this world.

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 10:12 AM
kdr

I have to disagree with Harriett--I work next to Gordon Biersch, and I don't think it is kid-friendly at all (plus it is a chain from California!). I love Louisiana Express, but fitting 20 in the small restaurant could be a problem.
My recommendations would be Guapos--a local Mexican restaurant with locations in both northwest D.C. and Bethesda, or Il Forna Pizzeria in Bethesda.

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 10:35 AM
washingtonian

By far THE BEST place to go would be Maggiano's Little Italy restaurant in Friendship Heights at 5333 Wisconsin Ave. I work in Bethesda, have been everywhere, and this is the only restaurant the folks in my office will go to for lunch get togethers and goodbye parties and the like. Get the family style menu and I GUARANTEE you will love it. Phone# is 202-966-3108

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 10:50 AM
Kristin

FYI - Maggianos is very definitely a chain as well. And as much as I adore Taberna del Alabardero, it is very expensive and not very appropriate for kids. I would second the Guapo's recommendation, or Lauriol Plaza in Dupont Circle (altho it is usually crowded and they don't take reservations, so either go early or plan to wait a bit).

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 11:07 AM
Stephanie P.

Old Ebbits Grill. Not far from White House, around Farrugut area. Big restaurant. Ate there once and liked the food.

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 12:04 PM
Christina

I was going to suggest That's Amore in Bethesda as perfect for this group, but that's a chain also. At least a local one, if not national. What's the deal with not wanting a chain for a simple meal with 20 people and a place that has to like kids and be "fun"? It's not like That's Amore is a Burger King. I know one in Vienna that would be right and isn't a chain but that's too far.

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 12:15 PM
Christina

I guess I was remembering wrong and That's Amore is up Rockville Pike a bit, not in Bethesda. Oh, well, here is their web site
http://www.thatsamore.com/owners.html

I guess they are local and have several restaurants so I don't know if that's a chain or not.

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 11:32 AM
Ingrid

Also would recommend That's Amore or how about Rio Grande Cafe in downtown Bethesda? My kids are still fascinated by the tortilla machine (they are 10 and 12 now), plus last time we visited they took turns sitting on the red, white, and blue "residential" chair.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 05:17 AM
Jackie

The place is Georgetown is probably Bucco di Beppo. (you can view a review on eg.washingtonpost.com) It's a delicious Italian restaurant, meals are served family style. Very fun, buzzing with energy! Maggiano's is good too, but not as fun, plus you can go to Maggiano's in any ole town!

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 05:40 AM
dave

Isn't Buca di Beppo in Adams Morgan/Dupont, for some reason I remember it being on Conn. Ave. I would agree that this would be a fun place for a large gathering.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 05:58 AM
Kristin

Yes, Buca di Beppo is on Connecticut Ave between Dupont and Kalorama - right next to the Washington Hilton. I suppose the food is ok, but the atmosphere is basically TGIFridays Italian style.

Again, I think the Georgetown place referred to earlier is most likely Filomena, on Wisconsin Ave just below M Street. Buca di Beppo is definitely not in G'town.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 11:33 AM
Ann

You can also go to Bucco di Peppo in any old town, since it's a chain, too.

The best place to go with a family in the DC area is actually in Alexandria, Virginia: Generous George's. But it may be more casual than what you're looking for. Definitely caters to kids, but not in an annoying way so that people without kids still feel comfortable.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 11:33 AM
Ann

Lousiana Express is to Cajun food and Benihana is to Japanese food what Taco Bell is to Mexican food.

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 11:03 AM
Heyknowitall

Or you could head to Ann's Diner. I hear the customer service isn't great, but they'll serve you a huge dish of sarcasm on a platter.

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 08:16 PM
Deb

Although it is a chain, I recommend Buca di Bepo as a fun place to go with a large group. Everything is served family style (large portions expected to be shared) and the ambiance is very fun. In Bethesda try BD's Mongolian Barbeque (http://www.bdsmongolianbarbeque.com/) - it's a chain also but fun for a large group as long as the kids like that style of food.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -