place to stay in Paso Robles

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12th, 2023, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a short trip to Paso Robles. Any suggestions regarding restaurants or wineries to Visit? I prefer chardonnay and my partner likes Pinot noir.

We were thinking of staying at Allegretto Resort.
Old Nov 12th, 2023, 12:30 PM

Stayed at Allegretto a couple year back and thought it was quite nice, although the decor was not to my taste (I prefer more modern). It was convenient to Sensorio, but you have to drive to downtown/the plaza. Or take Uber.

Can't remember the wineries we visited, but enjoyed dinner at Il Cortile. The second night, we had the "Terrace Experience" at Senorio for the lights installation. Although the food was just ok, the experience was really cool to watch the lights from that vantage while eating and then walking through the installation once fully dark. Recommend this highly if they still do it.
Old Nov 12th, 2023, 12:57 PM

We stayed at the Hotel Cheval. Fantastic. They had roasted "gourmet" s'mores in the evening. https://www.hotelcheval.com/

Stu Dudley
Old Nov 13th, 2023, 11:18 AM

Paso is not known for Chardonnay and Pinot but there are some being made there. You will find more in the Santa Ynez and Edna Valley regions. Since you're going for wine tasting, I wouldn't concentrate on what you normally like. The whole idea with tasting is to experience something unique to the area. You might surprise yourself! I would recommend the following wineries for you:
Niner
Calcareous
Epoch
Villa San Juliette
Halter Ranch

There are about 300 others so I'll stop there. I picked wineries for you that have good wine but also are beautiful. Il Cortile is great for dinner. Paso is full of wonderful restaurants. I would peruse the menus online to see what appeals to you. If you want to be able to walk to dinner after a day of wine tasting, I would stay somewhere downtown, which would be around the park area.
Old Nov 16th, 2023, 06:44 AM

Great choice for Paso Robles! For Chardonnay, hit Eberle Winery. Justin Vineyards has top-notch Pinot Noir. Don't miss Il Cortile or Thomas Hill Organics for dining. Allegretto Resort is superb. Enjoy your trip!"
Old Nov 16th, 2023, 07:17 PM

I'm not "into" Paso Robles as much as others are, but when I went up for Sensorio and as a road trip stopover, I've stayed at the Adelaide Inn, half the price and just as highly rated. I prefer a one-story drive up motel arrangement and the units are freshened up.

Not Paso proper, but used to like to eat at McPhee's in Templeton.

As others have mentioned Paso isn't really the place for Pinot Noir (too hot). They started the whole Rhone Rangers thing so expect to be offered the likes of Viognier, Grenache (ugh) etc... Try some Rhone red blends, often with Cabernet, and you might find a Chardonnay....somewhere.

Sensorio is worthwhile, but be sure to bundle up!!

Last edited by mlgb; Nov 16th, 2023 at 07:37 PM.
Old Nov 17th, 2023, 08:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Wineries buy grapes from other areas, such as Monterey County. You will find plenty of Chardonnay.
Old Nov 20th, 2023, 10:17 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
We stayed at the Piccolo in town. We loved it. It’s next door to Il Cortile. We walked to Serial for a tasting and ended up buying several bottles. We had lunch and a tasting at Cass. Bought a couple from them. We wanted to see Daou but it was filled up on tasting slots so we told them we intended to buy wine (which we did) and wanted to try some. They were very welcoming and poured us at the bar the wines we wanted to try.
Old Nov 20th, 2023, 01:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Treasury Wine Estates just bought Daou for $1 billion!
Old Nov 28th, 2023, 07:30 PM

Sundance B&B.
I am done. the end
Old Nov 29th, 2023, 07:31 AM

Sundance is closed
Old Nov 29th, 2023, 08:45 AM

I know, Austin. My childhood best friend was the owner. Just wanted to give he and his wife a belated shout-out here.
Sundance had a ten-year run and we planned to pay them a surprise visit. We haven't spoken in decades.
But it never happened.
Carry on.
I am done. the belated