Pizza or casual restaurant: South Philly

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10th, 2012, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all. My son and I have 76ers tix this week and I'm looking for someplace new to eat before the game. I love the East Passyunk area and last time we went to Birra; he's not a Mexican fan or I'd like to go back to East Cabillito's (sp?)

We can go anywhere in South Philly - pizza or American would probably be best as we'd like someplace relatively quick and casual.

I like the Xfinity Center, but to me that seems better for Phillies v. 76ers games.

(Where I don't want to eat: Pat's or Geno's or Chickie and Petes)

Give me some ideas! Thanks.
Old Dec 10th, 2012, 04:51 PM

How about Tony Luke's? Quick, casual, near the sports area.

I agree that Pat's and Geno's are more tourist destinations than places to eat.
Old Dec 21st, 2012, 08:41 AM

I wish I had seen this. I would have recommended Marra's. I think their pizza is the best in the area.
Old Feb 2nd, 2013, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

Six of us went to eat at Marra's yesterday and we all really liked it - thanks so much, HG, for the recommendation. I told my husband a Fodors friend gave it to me.

If anyone else has any further recommendations, I'm all ears. My son and I are going to another 76ers game next week. I'm open to anything casual, but good food, in South Philly, Bella Vista or Queens Village. I choose those areas b/c I think parking would be relatively easy to find (v. center city).

I still need to try Tony Luke's - that seems like such a Phillies thing to do (I think b/c their location at Citizens Bank Park is always so crowded), so I will save that for a Phillies game.
Old May 5th, 2013, 03:59 PM

This isn't South Philly, it's very close - today we ate at Pizzeria Stella, a Stephen Starr restaurant off South Street at Head House Square.

The pizza was fabulous. And we discovered the Head House Square Farmers Market - there looked like there was so much good food there, but I was too full from all the pizza to really eat anything. I'm looking forward to exploring that market more.