Dinner near Vetrans Stadium in Philly?

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 07:13 AM
Vavalynn

Dinner near Vetrans Stadium in Philly?

My family and I will be going to the Temple/Syracuse game in a couple weeks and are very unfamiliar with Philadelphia. Any suggestions of a good resturant nearby? We will be staying that the Holiday Inn in that area. My grandparents enjoy something similar to a crackerbarrel (unfortunately).
Thanks!

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 09:37 AM
huh

Confusing post. So, are you saying you want a good place to eat, or a place that's similar to Cracker Barrel? You can't have both.

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 10:01 AM
vavalynn

my apologies.

I would like a place where my grandparents will not complain, ie, somewhere like the crackerbarell

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 10:55 AM
xxx

The area around the Vet is a dump. Head into Philly for a decent meal and stay away from Cracker Barrell.

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 12:40 PM
Spanky

For a Philadelphia experience, try Victor Cafe at 1303 Dickinson Street. Take Broad Street from the Vet approximately 17 traffic lights. Make a right onto Dickinson and go one block.
215-468-3040. The waiters and waitresses sing opera to the patrons. Food is Italian and very, very good.

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 04:44 AM
Vavalynn

Thank you for the tip. My family always enjoys a good italian meal.

Should I be a little scared that we are staying near the vet (based on the other posts)?

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 05:43 AM
alexis

I wouldn't be scared- it is just not the type of area to spend a lot of time. I would be sure to take a taxi or the subway and head into center city and spend some time. Your grandparents would probably also like Maggiano's in the city for Italian and possibly McCormick and Schmick's for seafood. Depending what day of the week you are here, Reading Terminal may be fun for them alos.

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 06:35 AM
billy

Vavalynn,

There is an excellent Italian restaurant on aomost every corner of South Philly. The area right around the stadium isn't as pleasant as is the area 6 or 10 blocks away. Not terrible, certainly not scary, just not memorable. The subway runs from the stadium area right up to center city. Reading Terminal market is indeed a great place to poke around and there are a couple of nice little retaurants right there.
Victor's will be a wonderful treat, as mentioned above. It's been on "Best of..." on FoodTV and the food/food prep look very appealing. Not sure which subway stop delivers you to Victor's. Maybe a Philly person would share that info.
Check out the South Street area for funky shops and neat restaurants/coffee shops/wine bars.
If your g'parents aren't big walkers, some of these ideas may not be appropriate for them.

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 11:43 AM
Vavalynn

Thank you everyone for your info. It sounds like it will be Victors. Is there a place to park near there, or should we take a taxi? Should I make reservations for a Friday night? Dress code?