Reload this Page >

Pittsburgh restaurants

Search

Pittsburgh restaurants

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23rd, 2001, 06:15 PM
Pam

Pittsburgh restaurants

We will be staying at the Wm Penn on Dec 29 and would like some recommendations for dinner. Not too expensive (less than $75 for two) but good food - no chains or cutesy type restaurants please! We like all kinds of food. Also will be in Pittsburgh most of day on Saturday and Sunday. Will go to Strip district Sat morning. Any suggestions of other places to visit would be much appreciated!

Pam

Old Dec 24th, 2001, 04:11 AM
erica

While it will be a little more than $75, I'd go to Lidia's - 15 and Smallman in the strip. Yep, it's Lidia Bastianich's place from Felidia and Becco in NY. There is an extensive $20 wine list and the Tuscan-style steak at $22 was outstanding. Every night she features all you want of 3 pastas (stuffed, meat, veggie or fish). Also excellent. At least you may want to check the menu while in the strip on Sat.

Also, don't miss Primo Espresso for a cappucino in the strip

Old Dec 24th, 2001, 05:53 AM
Stephanie P.

I'd suggest the Speghetti Warehouse (just off Strip Districts main drag). It has an amazing strawberry cheesecake and they serve big portions of food. The vegetable lasagna is very good.

Old Dec 24th, 2001, 07:29 PM
help

try Roland`s Iron Landing and Seafood Grill on Penn Ave in the Strip..kaya (a Caribbean rest) on Smallman St.in the Strip---or Benkovitz(seafood) onSmallman and 23rd St.all between $0-$15.....try Pittsburgh.com for info on Pgh....can also click on restaurants and pick a neighborhood for restaurants ,prices and reviews..do a search on Pittsburgh on Fodors,there is some info on things to do.....

Old Dec 25th, 2001, 05:11 PM
carol

i second making reservations at lidia's.it was about the best italian food i've had.

Old Dec 25th, 2001, 06:26 PM
xxx

Wow, the big chain Spaghetti Warehouse with their frozen cheesecake! How wonderful! Or maybe you'll want to take a step up or two up and go to the Olive Garden.

Old Dec 26th, 2001, 12:54 PM
x

try Mt. Washington...view is awesome and great restaurants...and the South Side.....and Station Sq. is great.......all kinds of restaurants at all 3 places.....there is also the Gateway Clipper riverboats...(at Staion Sq.)...do a search on Fodors for Pgh and find info...happy to answer Questions

Old Dec 26th, 2001, 01:12 PM
kal

We had some good meals at Mario's Southside Saloon and Blue Lou's on, I believe, Carson Ave in the So'side a few years ago.

Also had a good nosh at the So'side Sheraton while you watch the rivers flow by and get a great view of The Pitt.

A few friends just got back and said they had a good meal at an old church that had been remodeled into a brew pub. "Church's Brew Works"???
Kal

Old Dec 28th, 2001, 07:10 AM
AL

Go to Mt. Washington
Great view - Georgetown Inn, not overly expensive
Ride an incline

Old Dec 28th, 2001, 12:13 PM
Judy

From today's newspaper - best dining: "10 Best for 2001" (I haven't eaten at any except Lucca).
1. Bruschetta's 1831 E. Carson St. Southside (412) 431-3535
2. Dish (Italian) 128 S. 17th St., Southside (412) 391-2012
3. Lidia's Pittsburgh 1400 Smallman at 15th St. Strip District (412) 552-0150
4. Lucca 317 S. Craig St. Oakland (412) 682-3310.
5. Opus 107 Sixth St., Downtown (in the Renaissance Hotel) (412) 992-2005
6. Original Fish Market 1001 Liberty Way, Downtown (at the Westin) (412) 227-3667

The Grand Concourse at Station Square is nice (especially for Sunday brunch). You might also consider Mount Washington for the view - the Monterey Fish Restaurant has a pleasant atmosphere and a view and pretty decent food.

Old Dec 28th, 2001, 12:18 PM
Nicole

Not a fancy place at all, but great for a lunch to fill you up if you're wandering around the Strip District is a place called Fat Heads. The sandwiches are huge and the potato skins are the most fun you can have while clogging your arteries. We have to make a special trip once a year to get lunch at Fat Heads...Fiance is obsessed with the place.

Old Dec 31st, 2001, 04:36 AM
Pam

Thanks for your advice. We did have Sunday brunch at Lidia's and it was excellent - also a good value. $16 included fantastic breads, salad, entree and a sampler of desserts. Service was a little slow but we enjoyed thoroughly. Would recommend it. Ended up eating at Harold's Inn in Aliquippa on Saturday night as we met some old friends who wanted to go there - not fancy but great chicken wings. I love Pitt neighborhoods!

Pam

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 05:28 AM
topper

topping for Pgh info.....