Search

Pittsburgh Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8th, 2004, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pittsburgh Hotels

Going to be in town for a football game this November. Any recommendations on where to stay. Older posts recommended the renaissance and omni etc...but most of those are taken. What about the Marriot Center City...or any other ideas?

Thanks! Also any recommendations on things to do, see, eat

-Amy
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

why is everything so sold out too?
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 02:02 PM

Depending on the date in November, it could be light up night since it is so close to Pittsburgh? There are a couple places on the east side of downtown that aren't bad, as I've stayed in most. The Ramada Inn actually is like a little apartment hotel and a lot, or maybe all?, of the rooms are suites with separate bedroom area and kitchenette and a health club underneath. Nothing fancy, but nice, and I'd ask for a suite--pricing has never been bad when I've stayed there. The Marriott City Center is a short walk from the Ramada and is not a bad hotel either. Both of these properties are close to the Omni by a few blocks walking distance. On the other side of town, near the Renaissance and closer to the stadium is the Pittsburgh Hilton, but IMO, small outdated rooms and not worth the price of admission, but is centrally located to Point State Park and the stadiums. Across the river near the entrance to the South Side (more dining/entertainment options) and located in the Station Square complex is the Sheraton. The neat thing about this hotel is you can catch a clipper boat as transportation to the game, but be prepared to shell out a little more for the room, and again, IMO, the room is not necessarily worth the price of admission. BUT, you will be located in a shopping/entertainment complex and have transportation available to you going to and from the game...so it's going to depend on what is important to you! Did you also try the Westin Convention Center....it's located near the entrance to the strip district and close to the Ramada and Marriott mentioned above, and not real far from the stadiums either. The strip district would be another dining/entertainment option closeby. With any of these hotels, you won't be far in traveling distance from the stadiums. Beware, with recently levied parking increases, watch where you park downtown, pricing can be hefty, plus there is a lot in the news lately about the decreased availability of parking at the new stadium which has seasoned tailgaters fuming. Oh, and don't forget, have fun!
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 02:03 PM

ooops, first sentence I meant to say so close to Christmas!
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 02:06 PM

Here is a link to all the hotels at a glance, scroll to the bottom of the page for links to each:

http://pittsburgh.conventioncenterhotelsguide.com/
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the link. Looks like most hotels on that site are sold out so far though. Maybe there is a convention in town.

The Station Square, westin, hilton, marriot, and omni are all sold out everywhere I look
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 04:36 PM

Try the Ramada, sometimes when everyone else is booked they still have rooms. There are other places to stay in outlying areas, it depends on if you will have a car.
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 08:37 PM
Original Poster

Nope, Ramada is gone too...these are some that are available. Anyone have any experience with any of these places?

Hawthorn Suites Greentree
Radisson Hotel Pittsburgh/Monroeville
Radisson Pittsburgh/green tree
Residence Inn Pittsburgh
Wyndham Garden University
Hyatt Regency Airport (although I think it would be more fun to stay closer to downtown)
Morning Glory Inn
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 03:39 AM

Hello: I've stayed at the Wyndham Garden University Place a couple times, and we've enjoyed it. We prefer the Omni or Westin downtown, but when those are booked, this is our next preferred. It may help that I went to school at Pitt and this hotel is in Oakland (where Pitt is located) but if you're going to a Pitt football game in November you might enjoy staying in Oakland whether you're cheering for the home team or not. There are several bars/ restaurants within walking distance, and unlike downtown, which can get quiet, there is actually a fair amount of activity after dark & on the weekends. Getting to the stadium you can either drive (and if you do, I strongly recommend parking in the underground lot at the Allegheny Center Mall - one of the stadium-area's best kept game-day parking secrets) or take a bus to downtown and walk over. The Wyndham in the past has had a pleasant concierge who can help you with that.

I would avoid Greentree/ Monroeville/ Airport for the reason you mention, none of these are close to downtown. But again, quite frankly, unless you're in a nice hotel downtown like the Renaissance, Omni, or Westin, I think you might be better off in/near Oakland or Shadyside, where there are lots of restaurants, nightlife, and shopping (particularly in Shadyside). We've also recently stayed at the Mariott Courtyard in Shadyside and that was very nice as well - it's a relatively new hotel, very modern.

Good luck!
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 08:58 AM

try www.the priory.com...it is on the north side by the stadium...also the Morning Glory Inn is a B&B...and supposed to be nice...it is on the southside...a happening place..but don't know about a cab ride when a game is going on...park in Alegheny Center Mall...the prices were raised in the lots from $20 to 40...and people are flipping..you can try Greentree area..it is through the Ft Pitt tubes(tunnels)..and not too far...hope you have a vehicle..also some northside places(bars/rest.) have a schedule to and from the games..so you could walk or park by them..how long are you there and what are your interests?..a good place to eat Castellanos by PNC Park and a few blocks from Heinz Field...also James St Cafe and Max's Allegheny Tavern(a great bkfst buffet on Sunday) have a shuttle and good food b4 and after...Oakland is okay but traffic could be bad...also the Holiday Inn on Mcknight may be available and not too far...
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 09:02 AM

what is the date?.....
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

I'll be in town Nov 6-8. Thanks everyone for all the great information, looking forward to visiting!

The Priory is unavailable...but i think the morning glory might have openings.

We will have a rental car...

Anyone know anything about tailgating activities?
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 10:34 AM

best to go to Castelannos or Hi Tops early and pary there..most hardy tailgating is in the outskirt parking lots...parking is at a premium..taligating is not like it used to be...the good old boys...it as crazy..go early for prking and getting into a pre-party place..think there are some Oakland hotels still available(Univ of Pittsburgh area)..
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 12:07 PM

Maybe look into the Holiday Inn Express in the South Side. The Zip there is: 15203. For about 20 blocks on each side there are hometown bars and restaurants and then when you go to the game take the Goodship Lollipop/Gateway Clipper shuttle over to the stadium.
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

hmm..havent' been able to find that Holiday Inn
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

Found that Holiday Inn...but its full.

Some others I'm thinking about are

Raddison - Green Tree
Wyndham Garden
There is a Holiday Inn on 100 Lytton Ave
And another on 401 Holiday Dr

Guess I needed to be looking more than 2 months in advance!
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 04:32 PM

Here is a link to a Best Western also in Oakland right on the Blvd. of the Allies which would provide a direct driving shot into downtown. Can't vouch for it, so you might want to check out reviews elsewhere if it is available

http://www.bestwesternpa.com/Hotels/...Pittsburgh.htm
Old Sep 10th, 2004, 02:30 AM

the Lytton/HI looks okay..it is across from Magee Womens Hospital and has a Panera Bread in it..and Greentree is not far into town..go early though...Green tree Hill coming into town can be backed up w/traffic for the game..don't know what is going on in town that all hotels are booked..don't know where Holiday DR is..
Old Sep 10th, 2004, 04:26 AM

My daughter graduated from Yhe University of Pittsburgh and for her graduation we went and spent the weekend at Station Square. We made our motel reservations one year in advance. Its amazing but thats what you need to do if you want to stay somewhere nice.
Good luck
Mary
Old Sep 10th, 2004, 05:44 AM

The suggestions about staying in Oakland/shadyside and the South side re your best bets. Both are really only a few miles (maybe 6)from the stadium and you'll have fun things to do in either area. I'm a bigger fan of Oakland/shadyside, but that's me. There are more choices in hotels there. Check the University Club. It's not heavily advertised, but it's an old men's social club near Pitt, where you can get rooms. I think the club is actually still in existence. If its the weekend of a home PItt game, it will probably be sold out. If you stay in Oakland, make sure you go to the O (The Original) for some fries!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -