Pine Island Florida

Old May 21st, 2006, 11:46 AM
MSS
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pine Island Florida

My husband has a co-worker who owns a house on Pine Island. He rents it out very reasonably to co-workers, so my husband is interested, however I am having my doubts. The house is gorgeous and has a private pool however, I can swim in my pool at home, so that is not a deciding factor.

My concern is the lack of restaurants and beaches from the small amount of info that I have found on this site. We love nature so that part will not be a problem, and my husband likes to fish, but we do enjoy doing other things. It doesn't seem as if there would be much to do there. Are there any places to swim in the ocean? How many restaurants are nearby? Shopping, etc.

We are familiar with the general area and have been to Sanibel/Captiva many times. Can anyone that has been there share any info about Pine Island?
Old May 21st, 2006, 12:39 PM

We used to live in Cape Coral which is close to Pine Island. There really are very few things to do there and good restaurants are virtually non existant. Some cute little galleries in Matlacha...but that is it. We lived in CC for 2 years and and it felt like 200! You would be better off staying on Sanibel IMO. Wish I could be more upbeat about it.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 04:05 AM

Couldn't disagree more with Judyrem. Pine Island is wonderful! Plenty of places to eat (Tarpon Cove Inn for gourmet in a gorgeous setting, Matlacha for many choices of fried fish and local color). The island is lacking in beaches, but there are various boats that will take you to private islands or North Captiva for the day. Shopping potential is zero (0). Some of us consider this to be a feature rather than a bug.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 06:10 AM

Ackislander, I am glad to hear they have a few more restaurants, but when we were there 2 years ago, there were none worth going to. I think for the criteria MBS mentioned, I think she would be a bit disappointed. Pine Island is a lovely place, but not too much to do IMVHO.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 07:20 AM
Neopolitan

If you're on Pine Island, surely you'll have a boat? Cabbage Key for lunch, the laid back fun places around Pine Island otherwise.

Sure there are a handful of places to eat -- but frankly, it is a place to sit and do nothing but relax and fish. It's a long tedious drive to get anywhere (it will seem like a day trip to go to Sanibel by car)-- boating would actually be better.
One concern is I understand that Pine Island is a major construction site right now -- there was extensive damage from the hurricanes, so your days may be filled with the sound of saws and hammers.

Old May 25th, 2006, 04:33 PM
MSS
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. It sounds as if I will pass this year, given there are no beaches. I can't imagine going to Fla and not swimming or walking along the beach in the morning.

My husband would definitely like the fishing part, but we like to do other things also.

No, we won't have a boat since we would be flying in and renting a car. We also have been to Cabbage Key several times and did enjoy the trip.

Maybe we will take a day trip there from either Sanibel or Captiva and check it out for future trip plans.