Pikes Peak/Cog Railway

Old Apr 19th, 2004, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pikes Peak/Cog Railway

Anyone do this in the Colorado Springs area? Was it scary? Will be in that area end of September. Any other sites that you must see in the area? Thanks.
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 12:25 PM

Haven't been on the cog but have not heard it described as scary. We drove up, I had white knuckles in the passenger seat. There are several other sites to see. Garden of the gods, Cheyenne Mountain Zoo if you like animals or have kids( you can feed the giraffes) and also near the zoo is The Broadmoor Hotel, Garden of the Gods, 7 Falls, Manitou Cliff Dwellings. All of these things are relativly close to Pikes Peak. Take a jacket to Pikes Peak, it's very windy and chilly.
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 12:48 PM

The cog railway isn't scary - no hanging off cliffs. I'd assume that late September would be a great time to take it, because trees will be starting to change color then. The top is disappointing after the ride up. There's nothing there but a little tourist shop where you can buy souvenirs, donuts and hot chocolate. The view is great, of course, but it's so cold and windy that you have to go inside eventually.
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 01:09 PM

We loved the cog railway several years ago. My wife is very bad with heights and edges, no problems at all with this trip. I recommend going on the morning trip, you will see more wildlife on the way up. Wear something more than a sweatshirt in September.

PS: the trip down is significantly faster than the trip up!
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 01:23 PM

It's not the least bit scary and quite picturesque. It's just like riding a train up the side of the mountain. Make sure to make a reservation beforehand though as it can be quite crowded at times.
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 02:40 PM

We drove to the top and it was definitely a white-knuckle experience, esspecially after we got above the tree line. And by the time we got to the top, it was snowing - in late June. Very chilly at the top. Our family took one picture outside by the sign, then scurried inside for hot chocolates.