Pikes Peak or Mt. Evans ??

Old Dec 10th, 2005, 07:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pikes Peak or Mt. Evans ??

I'm almost finished my trip plan for Utah and Colorado in June. I have set aside a bit of time to either drive up Pikes Peak on the Pikes Peak Highway or up Mount Evans on the Mount Evans Scenic Byway.

I will have time to do one but probably not both. Which one would you recommend ?? Which has a more scenic view at the top ??
Old Dec 11th, 2005, 04:06 AM

I've been to both mountain tops and I recommend Evans ONLY because there are fewer conveniences at the top. For me, fewer artificial additions means better scenery, but that's just my preference. It's just as valid to choose Pike's Peak because it just have modern conveniences.

On a completely unnecessary aside, I consider it a true irony of American history that Zebulon Pike is better remembered than almost any other westerner, despite a nearly unbroken string of being wrong. Only because Kathy Bates wrote "O Beautiful" from atop a peak that Pike named (and said could never be climbed) is that peak (and thus Pike) more famous than other mountains (and explorers).
Old Dec 11th, 2005, 06:11 AM

Pikes Peak has a gift shop and food at the top. The summit is flatter and easier to walk around on.
Mt Evans has a prettier view in my opinion. The parking lot there is just below the actual summit and you hike a short switchback trail (approx 200 yards??) to actually reach the peak. Keep in mind though that it's 200 yards at 14,000 feet. The actual summit is much smaller than the flat expanse of Pikes Peak, and can get crowded with people at peak times in the summer. From the top you can see Long's Peak, Gray's Peak, Torrey's Peak, Mt Bierstadt, Pikes Peak, and..... if it's clear, and you have binoculars and know where to look, you can see the Mount of the Holy Cross.
Old Dec 11th, 2005, 12:10 PM

I agree Mt Evans has the better views. I also think the scenery along the road up from Idaho Springs is much better than the scenery on the road up to Pike's Peak from Colorado Springs.

If I remember correctly, the road to Mt Evans summit also has the distinction of being the highest auto road in the US.

On either one, if you are not aware of the ways you can minimize altitude sickness, I'd read up on it before you go. They include acclimating yourself at lower altitudes before going higher if possible, staying hydrated, and minimizing your exertion until you become acclimated. Also, at these high elevations, sun burn can be quick and severe. Use a good sun-blocker frequently, wear long pants and long-sleeve shirts, and wear a sun-blocking hat or cap.

In June (all year, actually), it is wise to be prepared for sudden weather shifts at high elevations. Sun, clouds, thunder, lighting, rain, and large hail are all possibilities and it is not unheard of for it to snow in any month of the year. Most likely, you'll have great weather but it is always smart to be prepared.

Old Dec 12th, 2005, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help. I guess I'll go with Mount Evans over Pikes Peak then. Mount Evans also fits in better with my travel route since Pikes Peak will be a little bit out of the way and I will be limited on time.