Search

When to go to Aspen

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14th, 2004, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When to go to Aspen

I just won the use of a 4 bedroom condo at the base of Aspen Mountain for a week. Obviously, it is not for prime ski season. I have the choice of using it in May, June, September, October or November. We would be bringing our daughters (32 and 26), their husband/boyfriend and my 2 year old grandson. My youngest daughter and her boyfriend live in Denver and are excellent skiers. My other daughter and husband are beginners. They would all like to be able to ski but is that really an option for any of these months? Would we be better off picking a warmer month and forget about skiing? What is there to do in this area during these months? Any suggestions as to what would be our best choice would be greatly appreciated.
Old Nov 14th, 2004, 08:52 AM
mrt

Early Sept would be ideal. Warm during the days and cool at night.
Everyone hikes up to Crater Lake at Maroon Bells which are nearby mountains. This is a half-day trip. There is golf, tennis, horseback riding in the area and other nearby areas for hiking. Aspen is a wonderful place for relaing but it is not a tourist area with articial attractions such as alpine slides. The town of Glenwood Springs is nearby where you can check out a cave and hot springs or raft.
Old Nov 14th, 2004, 04:08 PM

NancyKrause,

Congrats on winning. There won't be any skiing worth much in any of those months. I echo MRT's response. September is the finest month to enjoy the Mountains of Colorado. Early September should be a little warmer than later September. Around the 3rd week of Sept the Aspen trees should be near the peak of their fall colors. My vote would be for September. June will still have snow in the higher mountains, the rivers would be prime for whitewater rafting though. May is too early and still part of Mud Season. Novemebr could be cold but not enough snow to do anyting with.

Cheers,

BeanMan
Just a hop skip and a jump down the road from Aspen
Old Nov 14th, 2004, 04:13 PM

Nancy, I agree. Mid to late Sept. is absolutely gorgeous. I visited on Sept. 20 and it was 66 degrees, the leaves were turning and the Maroon Bells and Indpendence Pass were just bursting with color. It was warm enough to have the top down on the car. Do expect that you will get some rain while you are there.

As for what to do, the sky is the limit; hiking, biking, golf, fishing, rafting, kayaking, live music and theater, shopping, dining, spa time. Have I hit anything you're interested in yet?
Old Nov 14th, 2004, 04:54 PM

No skiing in any of those months. I would say June if you want nice summer weather, things are pretty green and the weather is a little warmer. Or I would go closer to the end of Sept when the leaves are changing which will be really pretty.Weather that time of year can still be really nice also.
Old Nov 14th, 2004, 05:16 PM

Another opinion - we were there in early Oct. this year about 10/10. Foliage was gorgeous. Temps were warm. Decide what you want to do and pick your time. There will be no skiing during any of your choices.
Old Nov 15th, 2004, 07:32 AM
MaureenB

Aspen is wonderful, and you'll find plenty to do there. I also agree that May and June could be iffy with mud, rain, even possible snow. But September and October should be ideal, probably dry and no snow yet.
You will love it there. Splurge on dinner for adults at The Hotel Jerome, also great breakfasts and lunches. Also very good barbecue for a family dinner at a place whose name I've forgotten, on the main drag just coming in to Aspen (anyone there will know where I mean).

Old Nov 15th, 2004, 09:49 AM

The Aspen Music Festival starts next year on June 23 - it's fantastic. There are concerts at the music tent and in various other locations, and impromptu concerts everywhere - on the street, etc. If you like music (primarily classical) that would be a great time to go.
Old Nov 15th, 2004, 10:01 AM

My vote is for either late June or mid-September. Usually the leaves hit their prime about the 3rd week in Sept.

Skiing opens around Thanksgiving with usually only a couple runs. Not worth it.
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 05:23 AM

June! June! June! Hiking, biking, horseback riding, you name it. I think the weather is better then. Warmer than in Sept. The town is hopping during the music festival.

Go to www.aspensnowmass.com and check out the calendar of events for info on what might be happening during those months you have available.

Check out Pine Creek Cookhouse in Ashcroft. Ashcroft is a deserted ghost town that is great for pictures and walking about. Definitely visit the Maroon Bells. Cache Cache, Range, Jimmy's, Mezzaluna, Century Room at the Jerome and a bunch other great dining experiences to be had in Aspen.

The ski season in Aspen is not as long as that at A Basin or any of the Summit Co resorts. Some of Aspen's mountains open Thanksgiving weekend and some open a little later. They are all closed by mid April.
Old Dec 3rd, 2004, 11:54 AM
MaureenB

June can still be cool and rainy, even snow isn't unheard of. Go for the end of the month if you're doing June. But I think September is still your best bet for dry weather, and not cold.

Old Dec 3rd, 2004, 02:08 PM

I agree with the advice to go in mid to late September if sightseeing will be your primary goal. Aspen is magical, however, during the music festival which another poster said is in late June. Just walking around the streets, you can hear beautiful music floating on the clear mountain air as people practice for their concerts. It's a wonderful place to be when the weather is good (however you define that) but for me, the added attraction of wonderful music all day long tips the scale.